Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - BC magazine / handbook

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

BC magazine / handbook
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which format would you like to see from BC
Prefer Handbook format
82%
 82%  [ 19 ]
Prefer Magazine format
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 23

Des

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:04 am    Post subject: BC magazine / handbook Reply with quote

Finally got round to read the comic from a few weeks back, and see that BC are to stick with the magazine format next year.

Now I must admit as a promoter this year and as a rider I prefer the old handbook format with all the information in one place, with updates on the BC web site (or via the Comic as in the 80's)

Who prefers the new format, I know BC do on a cost basis?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will go against the grain and say I prefer the magazine style.

It is more upto date, gives organisers a chance to make changes to details, dates, etc into the season.

The first edition had a list of all events for the year which allowed for a bit of advance planning.

A printed copy would not be required (by me!) if the BC web site contained an upto date listing of events. The web should be even more upto date than the magazine. Over to Larry on that one...Smile

Sean
Larry Hickmott
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't give you an answer on what happens next year (as I don't know what I am doing next year) but I expect this will be an issue that gets discussed for future planning (who's responsbility it is, how it is presented and so on) . To be honest, I have no idea what next year will bring in terms of what BC wants from me. I am guessing in that it all depends on what happens at board level although I have no idea how the business works -- only I was contracted to do the website this year which is what I will continue to do and pdf copies of the calendar are on the site now as a stop gap and any changes are posted on the site as and when. So watch that space.

Larry
TRON

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:31 am    Post subject: BC HANDBOOK Reply with quote

If there worried about not making any money from the BC mag, howabout including this in a members section on the BC website, password/licence no etc.

Also I dont know if you have already but posting the events on Veloriders.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, I hope you continue next year with the BC website. You have done a tremendous job this year, especially when I think back to what the site was like pre-Larry!!

Maybe BC could encourage some advertising on the website to raise additional income??

Sean
Larry Hickmott
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advertising -- I understand that is in the pipeline and some changes are due on the site very soon to accommadate it.

Larry
Stuart Hallam
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:24 pm    Post subject: BC Magazine/ handbook Reply with quote

People are wrong to believe that the issue is all about cost savings for BC, although anyone present at last years National Council will remember that the board were told in no uncertain terms that we must cut the costs and break even or else.

The issue is also a practical one. The old handbook had to go to press in the previous October and today BC caters for branches of the sport where the programmes cannot be finalised until long after that. Even the rulebook was usually out of date from the beginning because the UCI do not meet until December.

I personally dislike the magazine and long for the day when we arrive in the 21st century and get all our information from the website -current, accurate, graphical, links to mapping services etc. Not everyone has a computer I hear someone cry!! Try telling Stelios at easyJet that and his laugh will be heard in his native Athens!

As long as I am a BC Director (until November 2004 currently), I will recommend that we find the money to keep Larry and even add *CENSORED* features to the site. However, at the end of the day all the BC Board can do is to define a strategy, present it to National Council and ask all of you guys to approve the costs. I am afraid that neither BC nor Tony Blair has a cellar full of dosh to spend how it likes.

You currently pay under a pound a week and get a damned good product. BC can do whatever we are mandated - run big races, subsidise this and that - anything, but it is your call.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the lack of flexibility was a problem with the old handbook.

Last year I organised our road race, which due to confusion within our club at the time was not in the handbook. Despite using every publicity trick I could think of, including the comic, Larry and direct mail to clubs, we only got 35 entries, only just enough to go ahead and cover our costs.

This year the race was in the magazine and we had 60 entries, without any other publicity. At least the magazine gives organisers to take advantage of opportunities as they come up, rather than waiting until next year.

Stewart, I know you are keen to increase participation in the sport, but there is enough *CENSORED* on the internet (apparently) without it being on the BC website Wink
AndyWalsh
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops that was me! Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

130 looks 12 votes cast, who says democracy is dying,

Come on you lot stop siiting on the fence - it gets painful eventually Twisted Evil

I personally prefer the handbook format , but can understand all the arguments against. One of the best things about it though is all the information you need is in one place and it is portable, plus I can plan my season properly in one go.

If Larry is allowed to develop his ideas for the webisite further this will help, although Organisers details should be published well in advance on the site to, we're supposed to be encouraging people to race!!
Also 40% of entries to the races on sunday do not have e-mail addresses yet (costing me more in time than postage), so the easy jet argument does not yet stand up, although people could be like my bro and get me to be his eyes and ears on the web Evil or Very Mad
Des

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Above was me Embarassed
ChrisB
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des,

every time you come back to look at the page, that's another view, but you can only vote once - so apathy isn't as high as you suggest...
Dave Wilkes
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I have voted for the old handbook, purely on a personal choice of having all information in a book that fits the bookshelf.
As I've said on another thread, there is no information regarding Division officials, plus of course coaches, closed circuits, last years trophy winners,Division champions, National Champions, World champions, world records etc etc. If you don't have access to the internet (and even that isn't a guarantee of getting the above info) you're snookered!! Evil or Very Mad No wonder there's so much apathy - nobody knows whats going on !
In my opinion it's time BC started looking after the people who pay that massive wage bill, and gave them something for their money and not just grab, grab, grab. Confused

There's enough of you out there that visit this site, and no doubt some of you are dissatisfied members, so I suggest you make your voice heard!!
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone else get a letter from the BC(F) this morning inviting them to get a BC credit card? Do the BC make any money out of this?
On the handbook, I voted for the old one, purely because the new one is too easy to lose, especially when it ends up in the pile with Thomas the Tank Engine and the Tweenies.
Dave Wilkes
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still read those magazines Tim?? Shocked
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I say, its all down to Trevor Reade. Seven years ago it would have been lost in a pile of Razzle or *CENSORED* Housewives, now the only talent I read about is Fizz and Bella

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if the handbook info is on the web, it need only send the magazine to those without Internet access. Maybe charge a small extra fee for the magazine.

I am all in favour of BC getting the best value for money and if the magazine costs money, then not having to produce it for 50% of the membership seems like a good move.

Maybe the RTTC can follow suite so I don't need to buy that little book each year.......
Lee
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I prefer the new magazine. It has the advantage of been (relatively) upto date something that the old handbook could never be. Only downside (as somebody else has already pointed out) is that they are easy too loose.

Can't see why there's negativity about the new format personally and with all due respect is it just a reluctance to see things change? If the first edition contains the full year's calender, what difference does it make whether you know the organiser's details 2 months before the event or at the start of the year? And if this format is more economical to produce than the old hand boook surely it should be embraced - after all we'd all be whinging wen the subs increase!

Would like to see the entire calender on-line but wouldn't loose too much sleep if that never happens.

Larry, I hope they offer to extend your contract for the BC website it would be a joke if they didn't.
dockeca
Div 2 Pro

Location: halfway up the South Downs - or halfway down the South Ups!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, clearly you have strong views about BC. Good for you expressing them and not hiding behind a silly alias. I applaud that.
How about standing for a board place at the next AGM, and having a bash at moving things along from the inside??

"Any views expressed are entirely my own and not representative of any organisation of which I may or may not be a member. Unless I say otherwise."
"A Libertarian Crackpot" H.Peel
Willi Tarran
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a handbook back.

It worked, there were the rules - in a readle format, countless bits of info and addresses in ONE place.

If it is finance, go back to selling the damn thing. I would pay for it.

Sure the magazine does a great job of changes and those that do not want the handbook don't have to buy it.

Sorry Stuart the claim that the details have to be in by October is BS designed to explain why with the benefit of modern technology we cannot get a publication out before April. When Len Unwin and Bryan Wooton did it they used to get the rule changes after National Council - 2nd weekend in December - and the racing calender date fixing in October/November and still got the handbook out by 2nd week in February. Normally beating the RTTC as well.

If the handbook is such a bad idea, then why do a lot of BC staff have the 2001 one on their desk?

No, this pandering to and knee jerk reaction to whatever seems like a good idea without considering the whole subject is going to drive BC backwards.

Willi Tarran
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: