Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - TdF Coverage

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

TdF Coverage
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

ES or ITV2
Eurosport
55%
 55%  [ 30 ]
ITV2
44%
 44%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 54

Emeritus
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy,
To put my (now amended) reply in context (I was trying to hold a conversation at the same time and made a b@lls of it; mea culpa):
Libel laws in the UK+Ireland are very strict, hence more allegations being made in French editions than English ones, thus DW/PB can print more or less what they like (including what may be the truth!) in France with little fear of any comeback, whereas in the UK one can get sued for calling a digging implement a spade (and lose).
I heartily agree with your last two sentiments, given reasonable and credible proof of the first.
Let's face it, in today's world, where money is the only accepted currency (sic), truth and dignity are buried in Fred West's basement. I think this may be my last season as a fan of high-level sport. More joy and honesty to be had in watching the kids carreering around the local park

Robin
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emeritus wrote:
I heartily agree with your last two sentiments, given reasonable and credible proof of the first.
Just discussion points at the moment, but damning of the companies if true, IMO
Quote:
I think this may be my last season as a fan of high-level sport.
Maybe, Robin, the fight is not hopeless.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
marlboro man
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try as they might, Phil & Paul cannont conceal their pro- Lance point of view which has been going on since the Motorola days.

Kelly's contribution to the Eurosport coverage is immense as there are few better qualified to comment on a race as it unfolds. Nine times out of ten, he's ridden the race being shown and if he's ridden it he has probably won it! On top of that, Kelly's comments are always informed and relevant.

What Eurosport really needs is a good anchor who can describe what they see in lucid English and knows when to shut up. In today's coverage, Smith talked over Kirsipuu as he was giving his post race interview a very silly and careless mistake.

Right I'm off to watch a video of 1993 European Grand Prix, commentary by Murray Walker and James Hunt. Brilliant race, brilliant commentary.
"so if MM wants to suck down 16mg unfiltered tar-laden cancer-causing , he will! And by God, he'll enjoy it... not to mention chasing nubile Estonian tail whilst off his opps on cheap and savage Baltic charlie...! " Colin Sturgess
Iffacus
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chr!s B. wrote:
Iffacus wrote:
The biggest problem with Eurosport in general is that to have it you need either Sky or NTL. As I only want this channel why should I pay for all the others, or is there an alternative?

Get an anologue system from E-bay or somewhere.
Free European Eurosport.. Not sure how long for? Thye may stop it eventually.

Can I congratulate you on finding anything decent 'day to day' to watch with just the basic 5 channels.
Thank god for Sky..

Whats that, youre out training.. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Very Happy

training - hmm someone told me about that once

I mainly listen to the radio
Coggy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ITV2 show - 3 weeks of the Tour and THAT IS IT.

tour is only on for 3 weeks.
Pinarello

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Smith is Paul Daniels 'is he or is he not'...... oh not just me again... Embarassed
ray stuart
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Sports commentator I've ever listened to - Sam Ermelonko. Articulate, extremely knowledgeable and still a good speedway rider.
EddieW
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring back Duffers, Mike Smith or as he would say Mike Smyeeeeeeffff,
Made more *CENSORED* today then Duffers would in a week, including talking over the winner and completly drowning out his interview. does Mr Smyeeeeeeeeeeeffff know how annoying his boring tones are?? Good job he has Kelly to dig him out Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Coggy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I missed the dullness of the riders plodding along the roads of Belgium in favour of watching the antics of the 'On the Buses' crew in a feature length film, I must give you all the stunning fact that:
The first ever cashpoint was opened by Reg Varney in 1967.
Facts don't get better than that !
Chr!s B.
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coggy wrote:
Quote:
ITV2 show - 3 weeks of the Tour and THAT IS IT.

tour is only on for 3 weeks.

Well done coggy. Rolling Eyes
Now go back and read the rest of my post and you will see that I was saying that the only cycling ITV2 shows is during the 3 weeks that the Tour is on for. Unlike B.E which shows so much more..
Steve McGinty
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marlboro man wrote:
Try as they might, Phil & Paul cannont conceal their pro- Lance point of view which has been going on since the Motorola days.

Kelly's contribution to the Eurosport coverage is immense as there are few better qualified to comment on a race as it unfolds. Nine times out of ten, he's ridden the race being shown and if he's ridden it he has probably won it! On top of that, Kelly's comments are always informed and relevant.

What Eurosport really needs is a good anchor who can describe what they see in lucid English and knows when to shut up. In today's coverage, Smith talked over Kirsipuu as he was giving his post race interview a very silly and careless mistake.

Right I'm off to watch a video of 1993 European Grand Prix, commentary by Murray Walker and James Hunt. Brilliant race, brilliant commentary.

AFAIK P&P's main audience is in the US (OLN) so that maybe explains the Lance bias.

re Kelly - all due respect but I actually preferred Roche's contributions when he did he did the side-kick role - he seemed to have more "contacts" in the village and was able to tell us what was going on on race radio.

re Murray and JH - pure class!
Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eurosport - more coverage, but I switch over to ITV2 as soon as they start as their commentary is much better. Switch back to Eurosport in the adverts.

Don't know why Eurosport have relegated to David Harmon to the "dungeons" section of their coverage. He did a great job in the Giro and is the best Eurosport commentator.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve McGinty wrote:
re Kelly - all due respect but I actually preferred Roche's contributions when he did he did the side-kick role - he seemed to have more "contacts" in the village and was able to tell us what was going on on race radio. re Murray and JH - pure class!
Kelly is a quiet man, Roche more rabbit than Sainsbury's. And as one of the canniest riders in the bunch, he knows what's going on. Kelly looks good by comparision to the commentators (not tough...!) but Roche is different class altogether. Roche could be our JH, but where's our Murray? Duffers had all the faults and none of the virtues.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
marlboro man
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of you who remember James Hunt's commentary will remember his brutal honesty. Aside from criticising Riccardo Patrese to destruction, he would be critical of any minute driver error. At one point he described Phillipe Alliot as "the man who crashes out of every grand prix anyway," and although it Evil or Very Mad me off, he would even criticise some of Senna's tactics.

Kelly is of a similar vein in that he can criticise with authority, this came through on Sunday when he spoke of Mark Scanlon's chances in this year's tour. At the same time he's very complimentary about riders who haven't achieved half of what he has.

While Roche and Kelly can make excellent contributions to Eurosport's coverage, the consensus here seems to be that Smith needs to go and be replaced by a competent anchor. Even if only to allow the viewer to hear the victor's comments, I think Eurosport would be better off!
"so if MM wants to suck down 16mg unfiltered tar-laden cancer-causing , he will! And by God, he'll enjoy it... not to mention chasing nubile Estonian tail whilst off his opps on cheap and savage Baltic charlie...! " Colin Sturgess
Learning_Slowly
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent caught any of ITV2s coverage thus far, but i have to say i quite enjoy the eurosport stuff. They seem to be enjoying watching the tour and it reflects in the commentary. I dont really see why there are so many complaints, so long as i can see whats happening with the riders i don't mind too much. I would have liked the guy David Harmon who commentated on the giro to be on it more, because i quite enjoyed his commentary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: