Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - alpe'd'huez

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

alpe'd'huez
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

who will win up alpe'd'huez tomorrow?
Armstrong
82%
 82%  [ 39 ]
Ullrich
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Basso
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Kloden
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 47

jk_bike
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: alpe'd'huez Reply with quote

who will win tomorrow????
i think ullrich. hes recovered from his sickness last week and has showed how strong he can be today. if not him then basso, allthough he doesnt seem as motivated as ullrich or armstrong....

i think it would have been hamilton if he hadnt crashed Sad , he still carried on for a week when he couldnt even get out of the saddle!!!!

Last edited by jk_bike on Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Tony Bell
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armstrong, deffo. He is a man posessed with winning the Tour. Number Six is already assured, it's just a case of 'Can he manage number 7?' now.
What a guy. I don't care if he's found some kind of undetactable *CENSORED* - not that anybody has proved that yet, as Lance has never failed a dope test, as we all know - and to come back from what he's been through is nothing short of miraculous.
Think about it? To recover from cancer and the synopsis he was given - 30% chance of survival in 1996 - is amazing.
For a guy in that position to win one Tour de France is a miracle. To win five, and the possibility of making it six is, well, I don't know. Do you?
Emma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ullrich of course Very Happy
Steve McGinty
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my morning newspaper Armstrong's now not just talking about winning this year, but the next three years with his new sponsor (the Discovery Channel)
Jonny H
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armstrong

If Hamilton was there able to climb he would win! Very Happy
kylie
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LA is domineering, unless there is a major mishap I can't se anyone else being a contender. Interseting to see what people think this time tomoorow!

http://www.lupusuk.com/
Simon Nicholas
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jean jourdain wrote:
....he was given - 30% chance of survival in 1996..... For a guy in that position to win one Tour de France is a miracle. To win five, and the possibility of making it six is, well, I don't know. Do you?

Don't think he has been given even 5% chance of long term survival.
We are witnessing one of the great sporting events in history taking place that will be talked about for many many years.
In sporting circles, outside of cycling, people are looking on in amazement at his monumental achievment. It is a superb opportunity to showcase our sport to a wider audience.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon Nicholas wrote:
I recall his doctors being reported as lying to him ('50/50') when they privately thought, as you say, 5%. Do I read you as saying he has less than 5% chance of a normal lifespan now?

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Simon Nicholas
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Simon Nicholas wrote:
I recall his doctors being reported as lying to him ('50/50') when they privately thought, as you say, 5%. Do I read you as saying he has less than 5% chance of a normal lifespan now?

I'm not his doctor so cannot comment specifically.
But Lance (being the sort of man he is, one never to bury his head in the sand) knows that when cancer physicians talk about "successful treatment" for cancer it does not mean what most of us think of as "successful treatment". It basically means extra time compared to the outcome if no initial treatment had taken place.
So, to answer your question, it is highly likely that any patient in Armstrongs position will have to face recurrence of the cancer.
Animal
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way Ullrich is going to win the Alpe d'Huez TT! Rolling Eyes

Talk about wishful thinking! It might be predictable and boring but Armstrong will win it by a minute.
Flabio Chubbolinni
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kloden will win because Armstrong will be riding to Basso's time splits. Simoni would be a good outside bet, as he has little else to go for this year.

Dean Tranter
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flabio Chubbolinni wrote:
Kloden will win because Armstrong will be riding to Basso's time splits.
Armstrong will win because he wants to show the world he's the one. IIRC course record is Pantani 38mins??? Will LA set a new record?

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Coggy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Kloden ?
Might Armstrong do enough to beat Basso, but stil leave something in the tank for tomorrows monster stage ?
NS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armstrong and he'll catch Basso Shocked
Simon Nicholas
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armstrong.
No-one else has lived with him in the mountains so far, apart from Basso, so why should things be any different today?
Trevor Reade
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS wrote:

Agreed.

Laughing

Last edited by Trevor Reade on Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totschnig for an outside bet.

Or Marius Sabaliauskas, cos I like his name!

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
varno
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon Nicholas wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Simon Nicholas wrote:

I'm not his doctor so cannot comment specifically.
But Lance (being the sort of man he is, one never to bury his head in the sand) knows that when cancer physicians talk about "successful treatment" for cancer it does not mean what most of us think of as "successful treatment". It basically means extra time compared to the outcome if no initial treatment had taken place.
So, to answer your question, it is highly likely that any patient in Armstrongs position will have to face recurrence of the cancer.

The chance of Lance or any other Cancer survivors having a reoccurance is in most terms is the same as anyone else. EG If Lance has been succesfully treated (cured) of his type of Cancer he has the same chance as anyone else getting other type ie skin /lung/ blood etc.

The effect of having Cancer and getting through it is not only physical it is extremely mental and the mindset Lance is showing can only really be understood by other survivors.........Sorry if this sounds heavy....

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=182745114790&ref=mf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjCZGQ3rMG0
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

varno wrote:
Simon Nicholas wrote:
... when cancer physicians talk about "successful treatment" for cancer it does not mean what most of us think of as "successful treatment". It basically means extra time compared to the outcome if no initial treatment had taken place.
The chance of Lance or any other Cancer survivors having a reoccurance is in most terms is the same as anyone else. EG If Lance has been succesfully treated (cured) of his type of Cancer he has the same chance as anyone else getting other type ie skin /lung/ blood etc.
Hmm. Varno, are you saying

(a) that LA has the same chance as anyone else of any other kind of cancer
(b) the same chance of a recurrence of his cancer as anyone who has not had it getting it for the first time?

I have always thought that once you've had a cancer you are more likely to get it again than someone else who's never had it getting it, as Simon says.

Simon said 'Don't think he has been given even 5% chance of long term survival. ' This is a shocker; where did it come from?

kylie
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS wrote:

How much gap is there between each of the riders? Is it a minute? It would be quite a feet to catch him up if it was a minute, maybe if it was 30 secs?

http://www.lupusuk.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: