Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - RACES POLL -- BIG OR SMALL

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

RACES POLL -- BIG OR SMALL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

SHOULD ORGANISERS KEEP RACES ....
The way they are?
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Make them big events catering for many different categories?
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 12

Dave Wilkes
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't always as easy as it seems Larry. I have often thought about this very thing, as we used to have a week of events in June in Barrow On Soar, whereby it ended with a fair at the school, which included a 5 a side football tournament and a donkey derby. The logistical problems of including a bike race was compounded by the fact that the facilities we usually use were occupied by the very events we wanted to join in with. However, the idea is a good one if it can fit in with the other activities. Laughing
Larry Hickmott
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I and many others see it we need a radical change -- too late for 2003 probably but for 2004, why not fewer events but bigger races? Bigger races with better prizes and better atmosphere helps to motivate riders and helpers alike. If we can't get volunteers, then maybe teams of people who do it for some gain, money etc, could make a better job of things.

I don't have the answers but I wish the apathy that reigns could be a thing of the past and answers were forthcoming and a formular for success could be obtained.

People are quick to keep on having a go at BC but few come forward with solutions and actively take them forward. Those that do are always the same names .... whether its those that do the moaning or those helping the sport.

Larry
Pete S
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most people have no idea (I , we, cyclists) race so often. Most seem <moderately> interested in the whole thing. Town centre races are a good idea, if the locals know whats going on, however the costs of barriers are prohibitively expensive. If something could be done about that.....

There used to be quite a few local town centre races in our area. Sorry larry I'm trying not to be apathetic but I just can't see it happening <SNIP> at this moment in time </snip>, the level of traffic at the weekend is worse than rushhour.

If we had a national campain about cycling / cycling issues / traffic together with the CTC TLI do you think his would help with peoples attitiude ?

pete
Pete S
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, I always thought if we could do the mass participation thing other sports do, like the manchester-blackpool , london - brighton but in a race format that might really work.

p
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: