Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Why do you race?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Why do you race?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Why do you race bikes?
Just to compete and enjoy myself (socially)
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I race to get ranking points
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I race to try and win or get a high placing
27%
 27%  [ 8 ]
I race to compete and get better, to acheive personal goals
58%
 58%  [ 17 ]
To inflict pain and make others suffer in my wake (power trip!)
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 29

Larry Hickmott
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I like that so much, I'll add that one! I can relate to that!

Larry
Larry Hickmott
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and so does winning mean crossing the line first outright or being first in category?

Larry
Doozer
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I race for more than 1 reason really..

firstly, it keeps you super fit.. well I should hope so doing so many hours a week. considering that some people think 3 hrs a week in the gym is alot us cyclists really do a great deal of work.

secondly to push myself to new limits. when people ask me why I do 80mile races and hurt myself so much sometime I say 'because I can'. Sounds pretentious but in a way it's true. I'm proud that I can do things that would give some of my friends serious breathing and heart problems. not so much that it makes me feel superiour but I know that I'm capable of doing such things and doing even tougher things as well. It must be hard going back once you've got to a certain physical level.

Thirdly, to win!! It's a great feeling when you cross the line and you know that 60 - 80 guys are all behind you. you've out ridden and outsmarted them all!! (a feeling which I didn't have this year. Sad Sad )

Doozer Mr. Green
Doozer
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranking points were important when I was moving up the rankings, up to the top end of 2nd cat. I reckon once you get good the Premier calandar points and UCI points come into play.

I certainly have more respect for riders that get premier points (sounds like a petrol promotion Laughing ) than get tonnes of normal points in chippers.
UCI points are also available although there's not many available in the UK at the moment. I'd like to get my elite licence next year but I'd rather get in from Premier calendar points than by getting 200 points. I think it will make me a better rider.

doozer Mr. Green
Dave Wilkes
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem to be more of an issue with riders regarding points and ranking.
When Paul was 21 (1996) he was ranked 4th at the end of the season and won the Royce trophy - but he got much more pleasure from the Grand Prix of *CENSORED* in March of that year when he was 4th just behind a certain Rob Hayles, and in front of Chris Liliwhite, Mark Walsham and Gary Baker.
Perhaps it's the lack of stars such as those that makes rankings more attractive as an incentive Confused
Mikey Cripps

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a JUnior I love watching people my own age suffer I realise that If it hurts me it definetly hurts them . I also love the buzz that comes with in the last five or so miles in a breakaway that you've done damn good . Even If you get dropped , there's no point in racing unless you gave it your all. Cycling is all about effort usually the person who deserves to win will. UNless their on dope Embarassed
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that once I've progressed to the level where I start racing against better riders (John Tanner, Mark Lovatt etc) then I'll start not worrying so much about the points and more about how I am progressing as logically (Spock) the points should follow...

Thing is when your lower down in the categoryies I really do not see a reason for putting yourself into too many E/1/2 races initially. Building up is a much better approach I personally reckon.

This way when I do start to race against the big boyz I'll think I'll be ready for it.

Richard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: