Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Single UK Body for Cycling?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Single UK Body for Cycling?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would one body be better for UK Cycling?
Yes
70%
 70%  [ 14 ]
No
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 20

Martin Ford

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i'd like to know Brian, perhaps Mr Williams could answer the question or put us in contact with someone that could?
Colin Fenwick
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

I agree that the questions raised on TLI running need a response. I can understand why a single official might shy away but would hope that a communication from their executive might be feasible within a relatively short time. As you say there is a TLI official within my club and if nothing's been forthcoming by our next club committee meeting then I'll ask them if it's possible to expand on the issues.

Coming back to my aim in posting here, I'm simply pointing out that TLI events appear more open to novices (and vets from perhaps mid 40's and above) than BC ones do. The subject of getting people into racing is no doubt a large part of the BC review but if the structures currently in existence already allow for this type of racing then maybe just some advice from BC to clubs might help?

We're starting to plan our own 2003 BC road race now and I'll certainly explore (within the club) having a '4's and day licences' race running side by side with our normal 1.2.3.
John Williams
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:07 pm    Post subject: Post Subject Reply with quote

Colin,
Thanks for sticking up for the TLI.
I would just like to mention that I am on the TLI 2002 National Executive as well as being the North-West Region Secretary, but what I say comes from me at home, so I can not give you details of the TLI Finances or what is written on our Insurance Certificate as this is not my job, but if you want to know why not write to the person who's job it is, in the handbook.
But what I will say is' As instructed by the 2001 AGM the National Secretary has applied to Companies House for TLI to be removed from the registry of companies.' and thats it !

And if you want to put a race on for us,
Solway & Tyneside, North-West, and Cymru have held various Road Race Championships for the last five years and it would be good to see them held further south, interested prospective organisers should contact their region secretary immediately.
Sorry I have not replied as quick as you wanted, but I have been at the Velodrome M/C and at the Hill Climb, but also I wanted to gain some free advertising for the TLI, so thanks you all, you have done us proud, see you soon, but end of subject from me !

http://www.t-l-i.org
THE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL
Brian Cookson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry John, but this is just another cop-out. As a national official surely you should be capable of answering simple questions concerning the basic facts about the organisation you are promoting.

Anyway, I hope you had a good time at the velodrome.....now let me think, what did TLI contribute to getting that built? Hmmmmmm! Oh yes, nothing.

Come on John, do the right thing and bring your events over to the organisation that is actually taking our sport forward.

All the best,
Brian.

PS As regards publicising TLI, well they used to say that there was no such thing as bad publicity.....but that was befire Gerald Ratner!
ray stuart
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:42 pm    Post subject: insurance Reply with quote

the last post was at 11.21pm. according to my clock it's only 10.31!
Information about insurance is readily available on websites.
BC have a comprehensive guide on their own website.
TLI information is available on Veloriders under the thread [-joining the tli]
Below is a quick summary of what appears on these sites

BC Gold
Benefits
3rd party liability Yes, at any time. £5M
Personal Accident Yes ( see schedule of payments on BC site)
Legal assistance pursuing claims against 3rd parties Yes , via BC Accident Helpline. Members indemnified against legal costs provided claim is reasonable etc.

TLI
Benefits
3rd party liability Yes,c but only at TLI events £5M
Personal Accident No
Legal assistance pursuing claims against 3rd parties No, but advised to contact one of 2 firms of solicitors.(but you could just look at the ads in CW

Additionally TLI state that it is run by volunteers, so do not expect a by return post response.
There are other examples of low cost events where insurance may be in place but at what level? I saw on a website for a BC affiliated club that due to the cost of levies for BC sanctioned events they arranged their own Insurance, however the rules were broadly the same as cyclo-cross. Normally when an insurance company quotes for a risk they need to see the rules (of the sport) in order to assess the risk. Are we to assume this club is using cyclo-cross (ie BC ) rules, which are developed by and copyright of BC? Do the riders in these events realise the level of insurance available? Would a BC Gold member be covered by his 3rd Party [while riding at any time] insurance while competing in a non BC sanctioned event but organised by a BC affiliated club.?
BC insurance does not provide legal assistance to pursue claims against club officials in BC sanctioned events. However if this club has chosen to operate outside of BC registration then are they liable to legal proceedings against them brought by BC solicitors in support of a member?
StuartBen
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Easy to enter Reply with quote

The British Cycling West Thames Promotions events at Hillingdon Circuit are very easy to enter and the ONLY way to enter is 'on the line'. The cost is effectively the same as TLI events at Eastway.

There is an important difference in that the Hillingdon races pay all normal BC permit fees and cost of insurance, as well as 50p per rider towards the Central Division team fund. This is used to send primarily junior teams to major events in the UK, N.Ireland and mainland Europe. By this we hope to sustain a flow of riders to follow on from Central Division riders such as David Millar, Bradley Wiggins and Tony Gibb.

Anybody who rides a bike should belong to BC or a similar body, just for the insurance and legal aid. Newcomers can ride the 4th cat race at Hillingdon on a provisional licence which comes with membership, but we find the vast majority of new riders want to do the thing properly and take out a full racing licence after they have ridden their first race.

Hillingdon too runs separate category races less than a minute apart at the start start (and very exciting it is too when one overtakes the other!).

Many local road races are also run concurrently on the same circuit and the police now appear to have no objections on that point. It has the advantage that this concentration of cycle racing within a few hours is less likely to be a nuisance to local residents, rather than occupying their roads for the whole day.

So anything can be done under BC regulations. But if you are determined to be bloody minded and 'take your ball away' because once upon a time somebody got up your nose, well that's your option. But how sad that no contribution is then made to sustain the present and the future of the sport.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: