Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - David Millar Appeal

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

David Millar Appeal
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should David Millar have his ban reduced?
Yes - Date of ban brought foward
28%
 28%  [ 24 ]
Yes - Reduced in time
10%
 10%  [ 9 ]
No - No change to original ban
61%
 61%  [ 52 ]
Total Votes : 85

Flabio Chubbolinni
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: David Millar Appeal Reply with quote

Right, who thinks our Dave should have his ban reduced?

Dean Tranter
TBK
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No,

I thought this post was going to be about the proportion of entrance money from Revolutions that goes to financing his appeal Shocked
NS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be 2 years from his first disqualification
TBK
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS wrote:
It should be 2 years from his first disqualification

From the time he admitted taking EPO, not the event he admitted taking it in?
Coggy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, he let his fans and himself down, and yet, and yet, the pressure to perform,...... ?
Ivan
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 years from date of admission.
Tony Bell
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. On the grounds that 99 per cent of the guys he is competing with are not restricting their preparation to Effervescent Vitamin C and Brewers Yeast *CENSORED*.
Come on!! Get a grip!! His only crime was being too honest when the gendarmes turned up in that restaurant.
Look at it this way. If Millar was a working class lad - and therefore a bit more streetwise- he wouldn't have cracked as quickly as he did.
Compare and contrast how Virenque dealt with the Festina scandal, when he was caught bang to rights at the TDF in 1998.
So are we going to punish Millar for being a middle class bloke who didn't have the nouse to get down and dirty like the rest of the peleton?
beldon
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reduced in time so he can return to the rest of the cheats
Coggy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beg to differ Tony. What has this to do with class ? He cheated, and admitted he cheated. What I know of the *CENSORED*, and indeed the middle class, they would be first to take something !
He was under pressure to perform, he must have known what his colleagues in the peleton were doing, and yet he seems to have done excellent rides clean, then falls victim to the prevalance of 'something' that magical ingredient to make us all go faster. I would have done the same, if I thought I could get away with it. Lets be honest, who wouldn't, with the cahnce of fame and glory ?
AndyB
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, 2 years from his date of admission. and if you believe the crap he wasnt on it when he got busted, have a rethink will ya !

If they arent on EPO they are on something else, probably 5% of the peloton are relatively clean and he wasnt / isnt one of them.

Its still no incentive, all he has to do for 2 years is whack himself up on steds, go out training and then he can come back as a clean little boy, bolox, the guy is a *CENSORED* cheat and should be banned from UCI/IOC events as should the rest of them. Then we might get somewhere into cleaning this sport up. If athletics/swimming can virtually irradicate *CENSORED* in this way. why the hell cant cycling ?
TomcaT
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot imagine the pressure these riders are under to perform week in week out, but *CENSORED* taking is against the rules whoever you are and whether he admitted it or not should not mean he gets his ban shortened.
Des

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyB wrote:
If athletics/swimming can virtually irradicate *CENSORED* in this way. why the hell cant cycling ?

You must read different apers from the rest of us Andy Confused
AndyB
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
AndyB wrote:
If athletics/swimming can virtually irradicate *CENSORED* in this way. why the hell cant cycling ?

You must read different apers from the rest of us Andy Confused

athletics and swimming used to be as bad as cycling, and just like tennis they kept it quiet, its only the high profile names that are now being named and shamed
cyclingscott
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyB wrote:

You must be joking! You can't seriously believe all the crap about cycling being the only sport where *CENSORED* are a problem.

Coggy wrote:
I would have done the same, if I thought I could get away with it. Lets be honest, who wouldn't, with the cahnce of fame and glory ?

Sorry but I definately wouldn't.[/quote]

www.corridori.co.uk
baz
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 years from the date of admission, would be fair in my view.

Come on guys he's not murdered anyone. Give the guy a break!
keepontriking
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the option to increase the ban?

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad[/b]
AndyB
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyclingscott wrote:
AndyB wrote:

You must be joking! You can't seriously believe all the crap about cycling being the only sport where *CENSORED* are a problem.

Coggy wrote:
I would have done the same, if I thought I could get away with it. Lets be honest, who wouldn't, with the cahnce of fame and glory ?

Sorry but I definately wouldn't.
[/quote]

no as you can see (highlighted), i only mentioned two sports - as we all know the list is endless, in fact you can go to UK sports website and see which sport has the highest positive tests.
The only reason i mentioned those two sports, is because at one time they had a problem, albeit kept quiet, with only the higher profile atheletes being named.

EDIT:
In fact there are no point to polls like these, we cant change the minds of people in cycling who:-

a) will do anything they can to help their hero
b) believe that what they did was justifed
c) want them back in the sport asap to help others by telling them its bad

all it does is get peoples backs up, and if you know the truth you cant say anything publically without running the risk of a legal battle.
Ventoux110700
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah he has to do his two years, examples have to be set.

How much prestige - sponsorship - money has bike racing lost cos' of *CENSORED* scandals over the years? It could be a bigger global sport than football, athletics, tennis, the biggest. Sad

How many big names have been given immunity cos' of the fall-out if they were caught? Question
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paperazzi/sets/
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he will serve his 2 year sentance, but I think he has a very strong case (that I support) for the ban to be back dated to the time he admitted it - June, and not the August date he was banned from. There is plenty of precidence already set to get that changed.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Stormer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ban length aside, both Millar and his sis are certainly making some huge assumptions.

The main driver behind him looking to bring the date forward is to start the Tour...err yeah right. (A) He has no team (B) He will have had virtually no racing.

I find Millar's arrogance stunning! That any new team that may employ him, that may also be riding the Tour in 2006 could throw him in just to win the Prologue Shocked Pathetic twerp!!!

And...

Anyone coming back from a ban should be forced by regulation to restart as an amateur for a min period of 1 year, and to assist their National body with Youth education against doping. Not just jump back in to the comfort zone of the Peleton...call it putting something back into the sport *CENSORED*!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: