Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - track nuts or allen key bolts

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

track nuts or allen key bolts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

track nuts or allen key bolts
track nuts
80%
 80%  [ 21 ]
allen key
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 26

murph
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: track nuts or allen key bolts Reply with quote

Is it on quick releise or proper track bolts?

And would u accept less than £175 pounds?

thread edited/poll added
John McC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

murph wrote:
Is it on quick releise or proper track bolts?

And would u accept less than £175 pounds?

Comes with Zipp track axle and bolts like these:

To discuss price send me a PM.
legro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't trust allen key nuts on rear wheel

Fear leads to anger....Anger leads to Stress......Stress leads to Doobies...and Doobies leads to Twinkies

The spirit of Brian must live on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John McC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

legro wrote:

That was standard for Zipp for yonks. Never failed on me either.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

legro wrote:
Question Why? Is it because you run the risk of shearing them if you tighten them enough to be secure? Because you can't tighten them enough? Or what?

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Pinarello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
legro wrote:
Question Why? Is it because you run the risk of shearing them if you tighten them enough to be secure? Because you can't tighten them enough? Or what?

.. 'Or what' is the answer
legro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, unless you're a girlie pursuiter, they don't grip too well or at least as good as track nuts

Fear leads to anger....Anger leads to Stress......Stress leads to Doobies...and Doobies leads to Twinkies

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinarello wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
legro wrote:
.. 'Or what' is the answer
Question 'Or what?' is the question; it's a shorthand request for futher information or an alternative answer. I'd have thought that would have been obvious, sorry.

If you know an alternative explanation I'd be pleased to hear it.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

legro wrote:
no, unless you're a girlie pursuiter, they don't grip too well or at least as good as track nuts
Thank you. I've always thought they looked cool; until today.

John McC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

legro wrote:

As good as track nuts, no; but good enough for general track use, oh yes. As I say I've never had a problem, and neither has anyone else I know.
legro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I say grip, I mean you can't tighten the allen key nut as hard as a campag track nut, also the allen key hole wears making it even more difficult to tighten, you can change them but most don't and put it off until eventually the wheel pulls over. I don't know of any sprinter that would trust them I used them on my Mavics and quickly got them converted to a normal track axle to accomadate track nuts. Take my word for it, been there got the T shirt, seen it and dumped it

John McC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

legro wrote:
I don't know of any sprinter that would trust them I used them on my Mavics and quickly got them converted to a normal track axle to accomadate track nuts. Take my word for it, been there got the T shirt, seen it and dumped it

So as long as one isn't a *CENSORED* sprinter, should be o.k. then. It's a bit like 1/8 chains. 1/8 is better but 3/32, when fitted correctly will still do the job.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
legro wrote:
I don't know of any sprinter that would trust them I used them on my Mavics and quickly got them converted to a normal track axle to accomadate track nuts. Take my word for it, been there got the T shirt, seen it and dumped it
So as long as one isn't a *CENSORED* sprinter, should be o.k. then. It's a bit like 1/8 chains. 1/8 is better but 3/32, when fitted correctly will still do the job.
What you say, John, may well be true. But it looks to me like asking for trouble, like sending Mr Murphy an engraved invitation.

John McC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
What you say, John, may well be true. But it looks to me like asking for trouble, like sending Mr Murphy an engraved invitation.

Roy, you'd know more about a big loaf. As I say, Zipp track axles were like this for yonks. Although track nuts are preferable, I've never had the slightest problem, and I think it's fair to say I'm not just a girlie pursuiter.

Oh yes, I'd just like to thank all who have gone out of their way on this thread to help sell this very road/trackworthy disk for me. Their help has been invaluable Rolling Eyes
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Roy, you'd know more about a big loaf. As I say, Zipp track axles were like this for yonks. Although track nuts are preferable, I've never had the slightest problem, and I think it's fair to say I'm not just a girlie pursuiter.
There is no need to make personal remarks.

This isn't about what I know of track racing (zero) but about logic. Two issues came under discussion; Allen key nuts vs. standard track nuts and 1/8 vs. 3/32. One can do it either way, and you have had no problem with the latter. But both you and Dave agree that the former carries less risk. Hence my comment; one only needs to be able to read to make that deduction.

John McC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
This isn't about what I know of track racing (zero) but about logic. Two issues came under discussion; Allen key nuts vs. standard track nuts and 1/8 vs. 3/32. One can do it either way, and you have had no problem with the latter. But both you and Dave agree that the former carries less risk. Hence my comment; one only needs to be able to read to make that deduction.

This isn't about any of that. This is about some bloke who is looking for an inexpensibe disk. I've pointed out mine is for sale. Mine is perfectly suitable for use on road (with QR) or track (with Zipp's track axle/allen bolts). The fact that other products are better is neither here nor there. What I'm selling is quite standard and does the job perfectly well. Unless you kind people also wish to sell murh a disk, one could question the motives of many of these contributions and suggest you clear off to a more appropriate forum.
monk
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't trust a/key rear bolts. In the 2001 national kilo I'd been persuaded by group of about 5 folk to ride a mavic with a/key bolt instead of my corima with track nuts. I cranked it up as tight as i dare without stripping the threads. As I gassed out of the gate the wheel shifted slightly, and i felt it move, and with the flex in the cranks I could feel the right crank touching the chain on the right foot up pull throughout the pick up through turns 1 and 2.

Spent the ride trying to give it big guns, cos as a slipped wheel no chance of a restart, while trying to do what i could for the time. Ended up with a crap time and finished fresh cos i hadn't gone hard enough. Think i did a seven or summat. Vowed then to stick with kit i trust and always favour my own or stuff I've used enough beforehand to know what's happenning. Ditched the cranks too as they ran the chain line too close to the inside of the pedal axle and crank arm.

(PS: Would probably have lost the chain and decked it, IMO, if I'd been on 3/32" instead of my izumi NJS stamped)
John McC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps all this discussion should be on the track forum Rolling Eyes
Richard Kennedy
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I use a Zipp 950 track disc with allen key bolts. I agree that track nuts are preferable, but for general track use you'll have no problem at all with allen key bolts.
John McC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Kennedy wrote:
FWIW I use a Zipp 950 track disc with allen key bolts. I agree that track nuts are preferable, but for general track use you'll have no problem at all with allen key bolts.

You must be a girlie pursuiter too then Rick Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: