Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Racers - your average weekly miles (through winter)?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Racers - your average weekly miles (through winter)?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Average miles per week in winter.
below 50
11%
 11%  [ 8 ]
50-60
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
60-70
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
70-80
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
80-90
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
100-150
37%
 37%  [ 27 ]
150+ (please state)
31%
 31%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 72

Richard Kennedy
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Animal wrote:
monk wrote:
have got the coffee. woke up at the millenium and started winning instead of just being ok/strong. (see palmares).

Where? Who are you?

Quote:
Open Kilometre Time Trial

69 Chris HOY Unattached 1.02.196
101 Jon NORFOLK Team TrackCycling.co.uk 1.04.440
26 Matthew CRAMPTON Sportscity Velo 1.05.552
20 Shane CHARLTON City of Edinburgh RC 1.07.586
44 Ben ELLIOTT VC St Raphael 1.07.771
49 Anthony GILL Fox's Cycles 1.10.254
16 Gwyn CARLESS Yasumitsu Schlapp 1.10.644

This year's national Kilo, not his best ride ever but his training this year was compromised by recovery from chronic illness last winter.
Gary K
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Animal wrote:
monk wrote:
have got the coffee. woke up at the millenium and started winning instead of just being ok/strong. (see palmares).

Where? Who are you?

He's Ben Elliott of VC St Raphael. Multiple National champion on the track with loads of experience and a sensible head on his shoulders.

Fashion Man is also right about listening to various sources of info. No-one is wrong if it works for them, but just becasue people question your methods, they are not having a go, maybe just giving you a chance to have another think about what you are doing in your training.

I'd listen to him over most
Animal
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I just asked. He's anon, and has no profile.
van eijden
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day young Ben was rather handy on Trike aswell!!!! What a nutter, still holds the trike record for the Porthole, and several other twisty courses on 2 wheels never mind 3.
Richard Kennedy
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

van eijden wrote:
Back in the day young Ben was rather handy on Trike aswell!!!! What a nutter, still holds the trike record for the Porthole, and several other twisty courses on 2 wheels never mind 3.

I'd nearly forgotten about Ben's triking exploits, they seem so long ago. A quick check on CTT website reveals that monk still holds national competition record for 100TT on a trike, set in 1995 (aged 20?) with a time of 4:10:14.
Bit different to a kilo on the track Rolling Eyes
As you quite rightly pointed out, what a nutter Very Happy Wink
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Masters Team Sprint with Legro and N Potter this summer Very Happy

I watched that and it was absolutely stunning Exclamation
Gary K
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Kennedy wrote:
van eijden wrote:

I'd nearly forgotten about Ben's triking exploits, they seem so long ago. A quick check on CTT website reveals that monk still holds national competition record for 100TT on a trike, set in 1995 (aged 20?) with a time of 4:10:14.
Bit different to a kilo on the track Rolling Eyes
As you quite rightly pointed out, what a nutter Very Happy Wink

What a perv!!! 100 miles on a trike!!! Shocked
Coggy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trikes, might try that after falling off 2 wheels.
monk
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coggy wrote:
Trikes, might try that after falling off 2 wheels.
I sold 2 last week to pay for a new tandem frame. You wanna buy the one i got left? 22.5" Wink
Drew
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonger wrote:
KJ wrote:
bonger wrote:
KJ wrote:
I'm not convinced the high mileage will help the body years down the line.
Why? Look at any number of ex pro's that make a domestic comeback. I don't believe their comeback wouldn't be possible for a previously untrained person but they seem to manage it after years away from the bike.

Do they keep their core fitness in the years off the bike in some way? For example some other sport or gym work.
Yeah maybe, although one of my team mates was a very good junior in th 80's, and rode regular 25 hour weeks. He stopped cycling for about 9 years and went up to 16 stone and didn't do anything apart from work. Since his comeback i doubt he has averaged more than 5 hours a week but rides well beyond the ability of his training (1st cat on the road and 19 minute 10 mile TT's). I can't believe it isn't something to do with all those miles all those years ago.

Funny thing this, I'm certainly no ex-pro but I am convinced all the miles and racing I put in during my teens has left me in good standing. Now at
30 I'm lucky to get out 1-2 times per week, but if I can get 3 or 4 weeks of steady training and keep fitness I can generally hang with the fast boys in local crits etc (sure I'm bleeding from the eyeballs but...) I see other 30+ fellas new to racing who train 10-15 hrs per week and can't hang in for several years (guess until they have built base, speed etc.)

Genetics could play a part for sure, but several people I talk to also believe previous exercise is vital to a quick comeback regardless of sport.
monk
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew wrote:
Funny thing this, I'm certainly no ex-pro but I am convinced all the miles and racing I put in during my teens has left me in good standing. Now at
30 I'm lucky to get out 1-2 times per week, but if I can get 3 or 4 weeks of steady training and keep fitness I can generally hang with the fast boys in local crits etc (sure I'm bleeding from the eyeballs but...) I see other 30+ fellas new to racing who train 10-15 hrs per week and can't hang in for several years (guess until they have built base, speed etc.)

Genetics could play a part for sure, but several people I talk to also believe previous exercise is vital to a quick comeback regardless of sport.

2 parts to it:

1. Past exercize means the muscle structure and motor neurones are established and can be reawakened.

2. You already know what it takes to get fit and what doesn't do you any benefit, even if only subconsciously you will learn from your past mistakes. You apply this knowledge with far greater specificity towards your goal. Old pro's have a lot of knowledge about how to get the most out of themselves.*

*anecdote: Steve Paulding had a go at a few masters events 3 yrs ago and went incredibly well considering how very little training he had done for years he surprised himself. When he looked closely though he had only the exact work that would help him go well in his target races. Not a single training minute was wasted. He saw the key as the specificity of the amount he did do.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew wrote:
...I'm certainly no ex-pro but I am convinced all the miles and racing I put in during my teens has left me in good standing.
Wasn't there recently something on here about just that? Training during the growth years has a permanent effect, so that returning to a level is much easier than creating it?

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
bonger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ofcourse neither of them would be ideal, but what training would you think would be best for short road time trials, Kilo training or Elite road race training?
I must say even winter training for non endurance disciplines woiuld be different to endurance based disciplines.
The elite MTB rides really put some miles in during the summer and winter.
Bob J
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonger wrote:
monk wrote:
bonger wrote:
I don't believe there is a world class rider out there that isn't riding atleast 20 hours a week

WAKE UP AND SMELL COFFEE

deano wrote:
i am doing 0 yes zero hours at the moment.
will pull my finger out of my asss after Dave Rayner do and start riding again.
lets see eerrmm
bout 10 to 15 hours the rest of Nov and Dec.
then 15 to 20 all Jan and maybe 1 25 end of Jan.
depends if i go on training camp to warmer climates.
deano
Wink
From that i read that he's probably been riding regular 20 hour+ since last January, many of them at a very high intensity (races), this all year up to about 2 weeks ago, with the odd easier week i guess. Then 4 weeks of next to nothing followed by 6 weeks of building back up to 20 hours, and after another 4 weeks back up to 25+.
From the 52 weeks the year has to offer around 42 of them are 20+ hours. If you bear in mind there are probably some 30 hour weeks in there too i bet the average training week (not including his 4 week recovery time) will be well over 20 hours.
Wake up and smell the coffee yourself.

You have been offered a lot of v. good advice, and as has already been stated you obviously think that what you are doing now is correct, that's fine, but in order to be successful you must include a level of training aimed at your weaknesses (assuming you have any!) doing 20 - 30 hrs / week is fine if you ultimatly want to be the champ at riding 20 - 30 hrs / week, in actual fact when I rode as a pro i found riding this amount of time semi - essential as I benefited from huge workloads, but I found the other side of my training (short, structured / unstructured intervals) far harder but more beneficial. What you have to realise is, that you must find whats right for you, so carry on with what your doing, but after a period of analysys, don't be surprised when you find it's not bringing all the benefits you expect, as someone else commented, everyone's different, and what suits one won't suit another. As far as I'm aware NO pro's are training the type of hours you mention at this time of the year, most of the French ones I know are doing no bike riding whatsoever, but they will be after Christmas. Good luck Smile
Pinarello

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Drew wrote:
...I'm certainly no ex-pro but I am convinced all the miles and racing I put in during my teens has left me in good standing.
Wasn't there recently something on here about just that? Training during the growth years has a permanent effect, so that returning to a level is much easier than creating it?

I think that is probably a myth.. more likely you return to your natural athletic level by default once, you start training again after a layoff
Andrew Jackson
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a comeback two years ago, and it's been great. However even after previous years of competitive cycling and advice from many people I still fell for the oldest one in the book.

I over trained. This time last year I was racking up the miles, sessions on the turbo, midweek hard rides. I felt great, was going great couldn't wait for the season to start. By May I couldn't wait for the season to end. At a time of the year that I should have been flying I was having to take time off the bike, my head had gone and I was completely knackered physically.

At 41 years old, own business, two kids, a dog and demanding wife it has dawned on me that I should be training smarter. This is why I am taking it easy, building it up through Dec, Jan, Feb and Mar and full on training and racing from April.

The older you get the more recovery is important, I raced too much (35 events) and didn't listen to my body. This coming year I will intentially focus on quality not quantity for both racing and training.

But having been there, you can all (and will) do just what you please.
bonger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob J wrote:
bonger wrote:
monk wrote:
bonger wrote:
I don't believe there is a world class rider out there that isn't riding atleast 20 hours a week

WAKE UP AND SMELL COFFEE

deano wrote:
lets see eerrmm
deano
Wink
From that i read that he's probably been riding regular 20 hour+ since last January, many of them at a very high intensity (races), this all year up to about 2 weeks ago, with the odd easier week i guess. Then 4 weeks of next to nothing followed by 6 weeks of building back up to 20 hours, and after another 4 weeks back up to 25+.
From the 52 weeks the year has to offer around 42 of them are 20+ hours. If you bear in mind there are probably some 30 hour weeks in there too i bet the average training week (not including his 4 week recovery time) will be well over 20 hours.

You have been offered a lot of v. good advice, and as has already been stated you obviously think that what you are doing now is correct, that's fine, but in order to be successful you must include a level of training aimed at your weaknesses (assuming you have any!) doing 20 - 30 hrs / week is fine if you ultimatly want to be the champ at riding 20 - 30 hrs / week, in actual fact when I rode as a pro i found riding this amount of time semi - essential as I benefited from huge workloads, but I found the other side of my training (short, structured / unstructured intervals) far harder but more beneficial. What you have to realise is, that you must find whats right for you, so carry on with what your doing, but after a period of analysys, don't be surprised when you find it's not bringing all the benefits you expect, as someone else commented, everyone's different, and what suits one won't suit another. As far as I'm aware NO pro's are training the type of hours you mention at this time of the year, most of the French ones I know are doing no bike riding whatsoever, but they will be after Christmas. Good luck Smile
Ofcourse as the new year begins so will the intensity, and around 8 weeks out the specific training begins, i know how to prepare for my event thanks. My point was that 20 hours a week now is not a big deal and there are plenty of people doing it, their heads will not explode, they will not become stale or burned out unless they allow that to happen.
From experience i have learned that my results improved at a fairly linier pattern to my training.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest bonger what type of events are you targeting in 2006?
Pinarello

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonger wrote:
Bob J wrote:
bonger wrote:
monk wrote:
bonger wrote:

WAKE UP AND SMELL COFFEE

deano wrote:
lets see eerrmm
deano
Wink

Ofcourse as the new year begins so will the intensity, and around 8 weeks out the specific training begins, i know how to prepare for my event thanks. My point was that 20 hours a week now is not a big deal and there are plenty of people doing it, their heads will not explode, they will not become stale or burned out unless they allow that to happen.
From experience i have learned that my results improved at a fairly linier pattern to my training.

Are you saying 20 hours a week now (as in November) ... total b)llocks mate
bonger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the national 10 mile TT champs in May.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: