Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Chainring ratios

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Chainring ratios
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Off Road Cycling)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the best chainring combination for 'cross?
Single ring (39)
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Single ring (42)
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Double - 39/44
24%
 24%  [ 6 ]
Double - 39/46
40%
 40%  [ 10 ]
Double - 42/46
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Double - 42/48
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 25

Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Chainring ratios Reply with quote

In process of building up a cross bike for next season and would like knowledgable answers on chainset ring sizes.

* is there an argument for just having one chainring set-up for only riding West Mids cyclo-cross league events?

* assuming running two ring set-up do I go:

39/44
39/46

or

42/46
42/48

Reason is the chainset I've got has a 42 already on and I don't fancy having to buy 2 new rings, ie, a 39 and an outer

I'll be running a 12-27 9 spd Shimano cassette so really if I can't get up a bank on 42 x 27 I'll be running anyway.

This ties in with thinking of changing my winter/commuting bike to a 48 outer anyway as I'm not rr'ing so why do I need a 53 anyway?
foxy
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question.....why only limit to 39 inner ring. Why no go Compact and run with 46/36 or something similar instead ? You might find a better selection of ratio's. Just a thought....
Emyr42
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimano road minimum is 38.

If you're gonna buy cranks, I'd say some shimano mtb cranks'd be your best bet.
LS
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

38/44 with 12/27 cassette. Sorted, covers everything I've come across.
Iffacus
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, I'm currently using 39-48 with a 13-28 cassette, but am thinking about changing the outer to a 46 as I've never had the need to use the highest gears (and still manage to lap Lee).

Have also thought about a compact chainset with either 34 or 36 inner but sticking with a 46 outer, but feel that the gearing will be a bit too much on the low side.
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iffacus wrote:
Rich, I'm currently using 39-48 with a 13-28 cassette, but am thinking about changing the outer to a 46 as I've never had the need to use the highest gears (and still manage to lap Lee).

Have also thought about a compact chainset with either 34 or 36 inner but sticking with a 46 outer, but feel that the gearing will be a bit too much on the low side.

this is what I'm starting to realise by chatting to some local cross riders: that most people only use their inside ring and that the outer ring is redundant.....
I'm not going to do 'cross to win but I would like to take part competitively. I understand Mark Leyland uses a single ring set-up and Daz Atkins used a single ring in the past too. However, the single ring guards (if you can get them) are silly money and don't save on weight so I may as well run the double set-up
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foxy wrote:
Question.....why only limit to 39 inner ring. Why no go Compact and run with 46/36 or something similar instead ? You might find a better selection of ratio's. Just a thought....

Yes there is that but I've got a whole load of parts already for a 'cross frame and I've got a Chorus c/set circa 1992-1994 with a 42 on. It's been on my TT bike for years so is perfectly serviceable and I don't see a need to be buying stuff like compacts just yet. I want to get the bike built up, ride a few races on it then see what exactly I personally need with regards ratios,etc.
I'm always hunting around for the elusive black Mavic Ksyriums as they seem to be the ideal cross wheels....
foxy
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard wrote:
foxy wrote:

Yes there is that but I've got a whole load of parts already for a 'cross frame and I've got a Chorus c/set circa 1992-1994 with a 42 on. It's been on my TT bike for years so is perfectly serviceable and I don't see a need to be buying stuff like compacts just yet. I want to get the bike built up, ride a few races on it then see what exactly I personally need with regards ratios,etc.
I'm always hunting around for the elusive black Mavic Ksyriums as they seem to be the ideal cross wheels....

OK fair enough. I wasn't sure what you had already. can't help you with black Ksyriums but if I needed a pair of wheels for cross I might have tried the Mavic Askium... Smile
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I've got Ultegra on Mavic Open 4CD laced with DT's. The Ksyriums are the business because they've got sealed bearings which is a biggie for 'cross and they are strong as anything. Steven Roach used a pair to win the National 'Cross series a couple of years ago and his dad and brothers still use a few pairs of them now. They are a modern classic and although I've found a rear one on Ebay it's campag not shimano Sad
joxster
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard wrote:
Nah, I've got Ultegra on Mavic Open 4CD laced with DT's. The Ksyriums are the business because they've got sealed bearings which is a biggie for 'cross and they are strong as anything. Steven Roach used a pair to win the National 'Cross series a couple of years ago and his dad and brothers still use a few pairs of them now. They are a modern classic and although I've found a rear one on Ebay it's campag not shimano Sad

So, just use the spacers off a shimano cassette.

How about getting a set of Tune or Hope built up?

Programming is like 5ex, one mistake and you have to support it for life.
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joxster wrote:
How about getting a set of Tune or Hope built up?

I just fancy the look of the Ksyriums and the fact that I can't get my sticky mitts on a pair makes me even more determined to get some. I think the silver versions look horrid tbh.
I'll just bash about on my old winter wheels as detailed above and see what crops up....
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok finally got it sorted - ordered a cheap campag compact c/set (34/50) for my winter bike which means I can swap the Ultegra c/set and b/bkt off my winter bike, put it on the new 'cross bike and, due to buying an ancient but brand new Stronglight 44t c/ring for a fiver from my LBS , will be running 39/44 as my 'cross set-up. I can't see me using the 44 unless I'm warming up on the road so it's redundant anyway.
This way I've can run any 9 spd cassette on my winter bike and the bail-out gear will still be lower than anything I've had before Very Happy
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use a 38/46 (needed new rings anyway) on a 12/27 cassette and i do tend to use the 46 quite a bit (on the flat bits) on the larger sprockets - stops the chain flapping quite so much and also when the cassette gets clogged with mud the big sprockets don't suffer so much as there is room for the mud to pack down.
TOMSKI
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got dura ace road cranks with 39-42 gebhardt chain
rings work well with 12-27 which covers mostly nefin
Ride it
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compact 34x46 with 12x25 cassett. Nice close ratio for cross.

If people are weight saving it saves on smaller chainring and smaller cassett !! lol
Canonised
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 36x46 and 12-25 or 13-25 cassettes. Rarely use the little ring, even in the mud - 46x19 feels so much better (nice tight chain) than riding the smaller ring further down the cassette.
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 x 11 fixed!!
Lil Gascoigne
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 34/42 with an 11-23 road cassette. Really close ratios so there is always the right gear for the conditions - you've got the granny gear for the walls and a big rouleur gear for the dry stuff. Plus, it's really light weight - which is important when you have a gut like mine!!
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

38/44 on 12-27 for me too... I'll generally use every gear an all...

Actually thats a lie, I can't remember the last time I used the big ring and anything bigger than the 14, but hey ho
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyRay wrote:
38/44 on 12-27 for me too... I'll generally use every gear an all...

Actually thats a lie, I can't remember the last time I used the big ring and anything bigger than the 14, but hey ho
Course dependant init. Some of the big open courses with hardpark sections you might get up to the bigger gears.

Biggest benefit is being able to use big/big ratios when its really muddy.

Why did ride it reopen this thread after 8 months?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Off Road Cycling) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: