Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - How early do you enter?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

How early do you enter?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How early do you usually enter cycling events you're intending to ride?
more than 2 months before closing date
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
at least a month before entries close
17%
 17%  [ 10 ]
with a couple weeks to spare
20%
 20%  [ 12 ]
about a week before they close
37%
 37%  [ 22 ]
so they get there on or just before they close
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
posted at last minute in last post
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
post entry day after entries close
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
eol only
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
what's a closing date?
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 58

monk
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: How early do you enter? Reply with quote

How early do you enter events?
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite being an organiser of both road races and time trials, I am really bad at sending off entries on time... Rolling Eyes

Paul
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How early do you enter? Reply with quote

monk wrote:
How early do you enter events?

As soon as you and your team mates have worked out a list of events, then keep on top of that.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to wait for the start sheets to turn up to see what I'd been entered for

I'm a qualified coach.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EOL only.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
monk
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
EOL only.
I had 2 other options... 'EOL only' and 'what's a closing date?' but it wouldn't let me change it Sad
Stuart Kirkham
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Promoted a 30 last season for the first time, surprised to receive entries weeks before the closing date. I usually send mine in a week before. This season I'm event Secretary for VTTA M/Cr & NW 10. April 19th. Expecting my first entryform any day now!

Stuart. Cool
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
EOL only.
Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
elaina

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving it until the very last minute is very unfair to the organiser - you then leave him/her with the worry of whether you will have enough entries to make it worth putting the event on.

Maybe you guys ought to think about the organiser for a change and get yourselves organised. It's hard work putting on an event and if it's the organisers first one then even more so. Not knowing how many will enter puts a lot of worry and stress on the organiser.

Very Happy
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just rock up and ride.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Stuart Kirkham
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="elaina"]Leaving it until the very last minute is very unfair to the organiser - you then leave him/her with the worry of whether you will have enough entries to make it worth putting the event on.

Maybe you guys ought to think about the organiser for a change and get yourselves organised. It's hard work putting on an event and if it's the organisers first one then even more so. Not knowing how many will enter puts a lot of worry and stress on the organiser.

Very Happy[/quote]
Thats so true, it is hard work & stressful putting on an event, most riders did send their entries in good time, one guy rang up after the entries had closed but sadly I couldn't fit him in as the start sheet had been printed. It wasn't a full field so he would have got a ride.

Stuart. Cool
elaina

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart Kirkham wrote:
elaina wrote:
Leaving it until the very last minute is very unfair to the organiser - you then leave him/her with the worry of whether you will have enough entries to make it worth putting the event on.

Very Happy

Thats so true, it is hard work & stressful putting on an event, most riders did send their entries in good time, one guy rang up after the entries had closed but sadly I couldn't fit him in as the start sheet had been printed. It wasn't a full field so he would have got a ride.

Stuart. Cool

Did he the risk of EOL ?

Last edited by elaina on Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Stuart Kirkham
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="elaina"][quote="Stuart Kirkham"][quote="elaina"]Leaving it until the very last minute is very unfair to the organiser - you then leave him/her with the worry of whether you will have enough entries to make it worth putting the event on.

Very Happy[/quote]
Thats so true, it is hard work & stressful putting on an event, most riders did send their entries in good time, [b]one guy rang up after the entries had closed but sadly I couldn't fit him in as the start sheet had been printed. It wasn't a full field so he would have got a ride[/b].

Stuart. Cool[/quote]

Did he should have taken the risk of EOL ?[/quote]
It was my first attempt at promoting and as it was an open event I couldn't really "bend" the rules.The Cheshire TLI SPOCO Time Trial League (which I ride regularly are EOL and they get good fields 20+ sometimes. (not comparable with 70-120 for an open TT but quite good for EOL)
Stuart.
John Lewis
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

received an entry in December for the following 6th March.

as the handbook hadn't even been published was it too soon?
mhgregor
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elaina wrote:

Very Happy

Not everyone can plan their season like you seem to think. The majority of us are amateurs who do this for fun....and subsequently have lives to fit in around entering, training and riding in races. The results of the poll prove that.

Maybe organisers should become a little more commercial and promote them to riders...look at them as clients, they're the ones that pay money for the priviledge and not just in entry fees; kit, bikes, BC subs, training, time, fuel, etc.

Get a database of e-mails, send out promotions, talk to riders that own local businesses, look for sponsors, get prize money, use VR. You can't rely on the BC calendar, that's not promotion. I've never ever seen a race flyer here in the UK.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful to organisers and they put enough time in as it is...it's always the same people, year in year out.

And I've organised a divs with two separate races at the same time on the same course before you start.
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good question. In previous years when I have found form coming on I have then taken more interest in the BC handbook and studiously planned the events I am going to enter... I always allow up to 3 races before I expect to start being 'good'. ie lasting the distance, keeping up with the pace etc.

If however I enter a load of events and then hope for the form to arrive - it never has...
!!
mhgregor
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my dilema concerning when I enter a race.

Come the 23rd of April which one of the following options are most likely as that will determine which and when I enter.

1.) My form will be MIA and i'll still be nailed from my training camp so I enter the West Mids Regional B race for 3/4's over 85k.

2.) I'll be flying, so I'll take my chances and duke it out in the West Mids National C event for 1/2/3's over 140k.

3.) I'll have some good speed in my legs but just won't fancy a 140k race or an early start, so I'll enter the Regional B circuit race (EOL), which is close to home and doesn't start until 11.45am

4.) I won't be riding any of them, as I will have met a petite brunette hottie with gorgeous eyes that needs her bearings re-greasing that particular sunday morning.

If anyone knows the answer, please let me know so I can get my entry in on time!
monk
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhgregor wrote:

Come the 23rd of April which one of the following options are most likely as that will determine which and when I enter.

1.) My form will be MIA and i'll still be nailed from my training camp so I enter the West Mids Regional B race for 3/4's over 85k.

2.) I'll be flying, so I'll take my chances and duke it out in the West Mids National C event for 1/2/3's over 140k.

3.) I'll have some good speed in my legs but just won't fancy a 140k race or an early start, so I'll enter the Regional B circuit race (EOL), which is close to home and doesn't start until 11.45am

4.) I won't be riding any of them, as I will have met a petite brunette hottie with gorgeous eyes that needs her bearings re-greasing that particular sunday morning.

If anyone knows the answer, please let me know so I can get my entry in on time!
mhgregor
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monk wrote:
mhgregor wrote:

Nice...wanna buy a bike?
crevs.1972
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a letter this morning from Bill Owen from CC Abergavenny who are organising a three event handicap series in Wales later this month. All 3 events are cancelled due to lack of entries.
In recent years the events have attracted decent fields (weather depending) but I guess organisers are risking running at a loss if they can't guarantee pre-entries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: