Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - How to become a pro on the continent

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

How to become a pro on the continent
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which route is best for your son?
Join the WCPP/Under 23 Academy process
47%
 47%  [ 31 ]
Go to France with Rayner funding
27%
 27%  [ 18 ]
Follow the "Pierre" route ie coaching then French family
24%
 24%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 65

De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: How to become a pro on the continent Reply with quote

You have an 18 year old son. He is a good cyclist and until now he has had a go at everything. He is like a male version of Nicole Cooke a few years ago - you name it, he does it - track, cyclo cross, mountain biking and circuit racing. A talented young man. And you are his parent and you want the best for him. You want him to achieve something in his chosen sport and you would love him to win an Olympic medal - even gold perhaps! Doping stories scare the hell out of you. You also want him to enjoy his life in cycling and, as much as possible have a balanced lifestyle that he will look back on with pleasure.

He is not entirely sure what he wants as he seems to want everything. He wants Olympic Gold, to win the Tour de France and to be a top climber as well as win prologues! Shocked

Amazingly this boy listens to you. And you have discussed three options he can follow and he promises to listen to what you suggest.

You can offer him three options:

1. The WCPP team are after him and have suggested he join the Under 23 academy and train primarily for the track and then follow it on with a spell with Sparkasse in Germany to see if he has the makings of a top roadman, sharing a flat with Mark Cavendish and Geraint Thomas. (Don't let that put you off - they are OK when you meet them). Your son speaks a little German and enjoys sausages.

2. The Dave Rayner selection committee have let you know informally that a request for Rayner funding would be met by them and they would not only help him financially but set him up with a team in the south of France. He may be living on his own or perhaps with a couple of Polish riders but he will be taken to races and his accommodation will be paid for. Your son speaks a little French.

3. Pierre Head has pm'd you and said he is prepared to coach your lad. He can stay living at home for the time being but needs to genuinely listen to what he is being asked to do and it will be hard work. After a period of time, Pierre will arrange for him to stay with a "cycling family" in France where he will be well looked after and treated as a real friend of the family. The family is well connected in cycling circles at a regional level as the father of the family used to race in top regional events in Brittany.

What would you recommend and which is most likely to meet the aspirations of primarily, your son but almost as importantly, you as a concerned but loving parent.

Vote and Discuss. Shocked

Last edited by De Rosa on Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
marlboro man
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he wants to be a top climber then perhaps he should follow the Rayner route. Otherwise, he should aim to get on the WCPP
"so if MM wants to suck down 16mg unfiltered tar-laden cancer-causing , he will! And by God, he'll enjoy it... not to mention chasing nubile Estonian tail whilst off his opps on cheap and savage Baltic charlie...! " Colin Sturgess
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marlboro man wrote:
If he wants to be a top climber then perhaps he should follow the Rayner route. Otherwise, he should aim to get on the WCPP

Unfortunately he does not know exactly what he wants - he wants everything. He has approximately the same talent in climbing as Nicole Cooke (on a like for like basis).
marlboro man
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De Rosa wrote:
marlboro man wrote:

Unfortunately he does not know exactly wat he wants - he wants everything.

Try him with some pies. See if he wants those.
"so if MM wants to suck down 16mg unfiltered tar-laden cancer-causing , he will! And by God, he'll enjoy it... not to mention chasing nubile Estonian tail whilst off his opps on cheap and savage Baltic charlie...! " Colin Sturgess
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marlboro man wrote:
De Rosa wrote:
marlboro man wrote:

Unfortunately he does not know exactly wat he wants - he wants everything.

Try him with some pies. See if he wants those.

He does not eat pies. He is a keen dedicated athlete following a sensible eating pattern of good wholesome foods without eating junk or being caught up in *CENSORED* fads. He has a moderate all round physique.
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This 'theoretical' young rider certainly is in a very strong position, on paper, but, not knowing what he wants is a big minus. For a few young and promising riders, I'd say the PH or French Club route would be the best BUT, given the choice of ALL the options (if such riders exist) then I would recommend the WCCP programme. Seeing how 'some' of the guys who've been on it, perform, it does seem to provide a fabulous base. They look to be cared for very well, taught all these invaluable track skills and regularly 'come up against' top opposition in differing spheres of cycling. If you can't 'make your mind up' or 'have it made for you' after two or three years of that, well.
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Griffiths wrote:
This 'theoretical' young rider certainly is in a very strong position, on paper, but, not knowing what he wants is a big minus. For a few young and promising riders, I'd say the PH or French Club route would be the best BUT, given the choice of ALL the options (if such riders exist) then I would recommend the WCCP programme. Seeing how 'some' of the guys who've been on it, perform, it does seem to provide a fabulous base. They look to be cared for very well, taught all these invaluable track skills and regularly 'come up against' top opposition in differing spheres of cycling. If you can't 'make your mind up' or 'have it made for you' after two or three years of that, well.

I think that the rider I describe is not necessarily so different from some of our top young juniors coming up. I think the scenario's I describe are probably genuine dilemmas that our juniors have to consider.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking from a parent's view - I can't judge the cycling issues - it'd be easily 3, then 1 and 2 a good way behind.

With option 3 his life would be organised for him, all he'd do is ride his bike; shades of Sean Kelly? A new 2nd family? And as a very cycling savvy family he'd have all the advantages and help that provides. And PH, having been there, done that, would be invaluable.

Option 1 is three young blokes together Twisted Evil - but proper cyclists, so he'd at least have some help, and someone to talk to.

Option 2 is in at the deep end. Although it's paid for, he's got to look after himself. Bad news.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
joxster
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went down the PH route Embarassed

I went over to Dijon when I was 16 and raced for a club as a trial, if I did well I was invited back and was put in the care of a family.

I spent some very good years in Dijon, made some very good friends and there is nothing I wouldn't change. During my trial period I won 6 races and was invited back. I then spent the next couple of seasons being coached by Bernard Thevenet and was offered a position with the System U squad. After speaking with Bernard, Regis Clere(sp??) and Pascal Simon, I turned it down and asked to be considered the following year. Again I turned it down as I felt I wasn't ready to turn pro.

Programming is like 5ex, one mistake and you have to support it for life.
mhgregor
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about you let him make his own choices...but insist he gets a proper education at the same time that will last beyond his days as an athlete, a back up in case that athletic potential never realises itself.

There is a mental component to any athlete that at the age of 18 will not have been tested, even if physically he has all the attributes.

The PH route is the only one that would allow him to complete both objectives...and you can be there for him as he grows and help alter his course if he needs to. Two of your options will still be open later if he takes option 3.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is his name Jan?

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Will Scarlet
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 18 year old would stand little chance of getting on the U23 academy unless he'd already been on the Olympic Development Programme. The thinking nowadays seems to be if you're not good enough at 16, you'll never be good enough. Though the door is theoretically open for late developers, in practice it isn't because of the back up that the ODP riders are getting, you'll never catch them up. Good for those that are on it, but if you're the 10th best junior pursuiter in the country, you simply won't have the opportunity to take route 1. How good you are at road racing and cyclo cross is not relevant - it's the track that matters.
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Scarlet wrote:
The 18 year old would stand little chance of getting on the U23 academy unless he'd already been on the Olympic Development Programme. The thinking nowadays seems to be if you're not good enough at 16, you'll never be good enough. Though the door is theoretically open for late developers, in practice it isn't because of the back up that the ODP riders are getting, you'll never catch them up. Good for those that are on it, but if you're the 10th best junior pursuiter in the country, you simply won't have the opportunity to take route 1. How good you are at road racing and cyclo cross is not relevant - it's the track that matters.

Well said and well put. The whole situation is ludicrous.
Bob J
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joxster wrote:
I went down the PH route Embarassed

I went over to Dijon when I was 16 and raced for a club as a trial, if I did well I was invited back and was put in the care of a family.

I spent some very good years in Dijon, made some very good friends and there is nothing I wouldn't change. During my trial period I won 6 races and was invited back. I then spent the next couple of seasons being coached by Bernard Thevenet and was offered a position with the System U squad. After speaking with Bernard, Regis Clere(sp??) and Pascal Simon, I turned it down and asked to be considered the following year. Again I turned it down as I felt I wasn't ready to turn pro.

Impressive stuff joxster. I think if you are lucky enough to slot in with a good family type environment and don't get homesick, it's an ideal way of finding out if you have the ability to progress in a very competitive sport.
Dave Wilkes
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the Pierre route ( and I still don't know who he is Embarassed ) . The Pierre route will be tougher, but a rider needs results to get on the plan and UK events don't mean diddly. You have to go to the Continent to ride the events that Plan riders target. Catch 22 for someone with potential but nothing to show yet. Plus you can work closely with his coach on his development.
Matteo
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joxster wrote:
I then spent the next couple of seasons being coached by Bernard Thevenet and was offered a position with the System U squad. After speaking with Bernard, Regis Clere and Pascal Simon, I turned it down and asked to be considered the following year. Again I turned it down as I felt I wasn't ready to turn pro.

Joxster, do have any regrets at not turning pro or do you still feel you made the right decision?
joxster
World Champ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matteo wrote:
joxster wrote:
I then spent the next couple of seasons being coached by Bernard Thevenet and was offered a position with the System U squad. After speaking with Bernard, Regis Clere and Pascal Simon, I turned it down and asked to be considered the following year. Again I turned it down as I felt I wasn't ready to turn pro.

Joxster, do have any regrets at not turning pro or do you still feel you made the right decision?

Difficult one to answer, if I had turned pro I would have done different things. I may not have ridden the track (eventhough it was encouraged) to the same level. In doing that I might not have gone to the Olympics (or met Legro). At the time I felt I make the correct choice and haven't any regrets. There are things I would do different with hindsight.

Programming is like 5ex, one mistake and you have to support it for life.
Will Scarlet
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the poll is a no brainer really.

In the unlikely event that someone not already on the ODP was offered a place on the U23 academy, does anyone really think they would turn it down? The academy seems to be a fast track to stardom. You'd have to have unshakeable belief in your ability to make it to being a top pro via the other routes.
Mossy
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If cycling becomes his job what will he do for a hobby?
rghit pclae.
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Scarlet wrote:
I think the poll is a no brainer really.

In the unlikely event that someone not already on the ODP was offered a place on the U23 academy, does anyone really think they would turn it down? The academy seems to be a fast track to stardom. You'd have to have unshakeable belief in your ability to make it to being a top pro via the other routes.

I take your point and am not arguing or disagreeing but someone who is really destined for the top will almost certainly have an unshakeable belief in their own ability anyway. Armstrong,Hinault and Cooke spring to mind as to what I mean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: