Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Would you enter a race if there was no prize fund?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Would you enter a race if there was no prize fund?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you enter a race if there were no prizes?
Yes
90%
 90%  [ 64 ]
No
9%
 9%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 71

KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
PNuT wrote:
i like racing regardless of prize money

Agreed, although getting a prize for winning a serious event is always a nice bonus.

A jersey or money?
John McC

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
A jersey or money?
If I won a national/masters jersey, cash would be of no importance.
grover
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its much better to have the trophy on display in the changing rooms before the race then the winner gets to take it home on the day.

Something to show the missus when she asks why you are so late Smile
Badger
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Badger wrote:
we give out trophies and big ones too

but you have to go to the club dinner to pick it up

Not true, as I won your McMullan Shield last year and got it on the day! Where is my dinner ticket? Mad

coz your special

you're welcome to come to our dinner, maybe in place of my wife Wink
NS

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
John McC wrote:
PNuT wrote:
i like racing regardless of prize money

Agreed, although getting a prize for winning a serious event is always a nice bonus.

A jersey or money?

A jersey!! If its anything like the one they gave that poor girl at the Womens 2 day to wear. No thanks.

I couldnt give a monkeys about trophies or money I just enjoy the competition.

Couldnt go to a chipper race and just ride round hoping I might get something if I'm lucky though. Either race to get in the break or race to help a team mate.
tommo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i got 4th at darleymoor 2 day and didnt get a penny
Sir Lord Tommo of Clay cross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always found it strange that we race for cash in cycling when many other sports have competition at a really high level for no prizes or fairly minor trophies. Rugby and football matches at club level spring to mind.

I wonder about prizes for Premier Calendar events as well. If some Premier Calendar events are in danger of folding because of the high cost of running them and now that we have essentially no pro class in UK and there are few full time bike riders riding the road why do we have to still have a significant cash prize list for Premier events? Probably because that is the way we have always done it. But I suspect you would still get the same number and quality of (UK) riders for a premier if there were no significant prizes. I am sure it would be an uncomfortable change but if it helped to keep such classic events as the Lincoln and Archer it would be worthwhile.

Anyway I am not qualified to talk about prizes. I can honestly say I don't think I have won anything at all except £15 at Birmingham Business Park a few years ago when I got 3rd as nearly all the others fell off. I tried to give it back but the organiser insisted I keep it - probably as he knew it was going to be the only thing I ever won on my bike in my life! Wink
p*bongo
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussM wrote:
NS wrote:
I wonder what Matt Stephens spent his on the other week

I thought he paid more than that in bribes to the two WW's in the break to let him have the win! Wink

Well you have to as there is no prize money...
joxster
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trophies, nah they just end up in the attic. Jerseys end up in the suitcase, in the attic (along with the medals).

It's got to be cash. I can't see JT racing for free either Wink Razz

Programming is like 5ex, one mistake and you have to support it for life.
Pinarello

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Badger wrote:
we give out trophies and big ones too

but you have to go to the club dinner to pick it up

Not true, as I won your McMullan Shield last year and got it on the day! Where is my dinner ticket? Mad

Funny that Laughing Laughing
Julian Mortel
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riders are after the BC points - that's most important to them ??

Some cash is a nice bonus.
ColT
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De Rosa wrote:
I have always found it strange that we race for cash in cycling when many other sports have competition at a really high level for no prizes or fairly minor trophies. Rugby and football matches at club level spring to mind.

Quite agree - have played loads of football and cricket over the years before taking up cycling. Always payed me sub's, never won a penny; thought nothing of it.

Cash prizes in cycling - a nice bonus, I guess, but I'd still be out there racing if they didn't exist.

http://fiftyyearsandcounting.wordpress.com/
Iffacus
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I only raced for money, I'd probably never enter an event.

I have only ever won money on one occasion for getting 2nd handicap on the E1/25, and think that only just covered the entry fee
Zeco2
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surrey League and SERRL riders race for points which are valued at the end of the season. BC points are just a distraction.

When amateurs were called amateurs (even if they weren't) , trophies and sets of cutlery and the like were often sold off (or pawned) by the winners. The BCF (and the NCU before it) had an agreement with the AAA and other major bodies that precluded the payment of cash prizes. Whereas now, in total contrast, some of our top athletes are coining it in.

Vouchers for cycle equipment were once the norm,usually donated by dealers, which were then 'bought' back. Equipment was donated and also bought back by the dealers. Simplex rod front changers were always making the rounds, listed in the prize lists, sold back to a dealer and then donated again. Mudguards and pedals were always popular.

A good event might boast a pair of sprints for the winner, a 'classic' might even offer a frame set. The BLRC adopted a more relaxed attitude and the brown envelopes were always in demand for amateur races whilst the 'Independents' were allowed to accept the cash.

I vividly remember an article in Jock Wadley's Sporting Cyclist featuring Haverhill's Mick Ward who had been racing in Belgium. The Belgians, we were told, paid out cash prizes (to at least the first twenty) and justified in their rules as off-setting the riders expenses. Many British races were still paying out to just the first three places (£3, £2, £1). Even the time trials awarded handicap prizes. Thereafter, any enterprising road race organiser would try to stretch out the prize 'money'.

Incidently, I once organised a 'free entry race' and still gave the usual prize list of the day (cash in envelopes). First thing the winners said was "you should have charged a fee and increased the prizes".

In total contrast, I once met with a potential sponsor for a pro' race and he very much liked the idea of giving just one prize of £1,000 to the winner. That was in 1967. I believe that was in fact common practiice 'down under' for events such as the 'Melbourne to Warnambool' (a marathon handicap race). Groups of riders formed a 'chop' to share the winnings. Our man eventually agreed to eight £25 primes in addition to the £1,000 but then his clients backed out. The race was actually screened by the Beeb.
joxster
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeco2 wrote:

In total contrast, I once met with a potential sponsor for a pro' race and he very much liked the idea of giving just one prize of £1,000 to the winner. That was in 1967. I believe that was in fact common practiice 'down under' for events such as the 'Melbourne to Warnambool' (a marathon handicap race). Groups of riders formed a 'chop' to share the winnings. Our man eventually agreed to eight £25 primes in addition to the £1,000 but then his clients backed out. The race wasactually screened by the Beeb.

Best way to race, winner takes all. Makes for better racing, rode a few in oz like that and enjoyed it. Wink

Programming is like 5ex, one mistake and you have to support it for life.
ozydamo
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well most of the races in the uk are nearly for free any way compared to the amount of nominations they recieve
Dastardly
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winning prizes was great as a schoolie - better than a paper round.

not really bothered now, but then I dont win much anyway.

Agree about the trophies being important. Getting a trophy with illustrious winners from the past engraved on gives an event heritage, and is a prize to be cherished.
scoobydoo
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you enter a race if there was no prize fund? Reply with quote

RussM wrote:
Would you enter a race if there was no prize fund?

How important is a few quid? Wink

After a question below lets say £10 - £12 entry fee.

or £9 for a 10 lap crit! Wink

As a amature racer pionts is more important as it's your cat that go's down so no need for prizes. Enjoys the thrill of the race. Smile
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Points are pointless, and so is prize money unless it's 5 grand.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
scoobydoo
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Points are pointless, and so is prize money unless it's 5 grand.

If you want to keep in the same cat then pionts are needed as you have to get a min amout of pionts each year or go down a cat. Where is your comeyative spirit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: