Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Opinions please - frame geometry

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Opinions please - frame geometry
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What style of frame?
Compact
32%
 32%  [ 12 ]
Traditional
45%
 45%  [ 17 ]
Weight is more important
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
Looks are more important
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 37

tracksprinterbabe
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Opinions please - frame geometry Reply with quote

Traditional, or compact, or does it matter?

Is weight more important than the shape?

Is does big beefy tubing win you over narrow?

Flashy colours or subtle?

What would you buy?
Dan Souf
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trad,
and all one colour,
don't mind fancy tube shapes though.
scoobydoo
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well getting the right size frame is important. Maybe worth getting a frame fitting.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this about a new ironing board?

I'm a qualified coach.
Dastardly
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think there is any difference between the performance of compact v trad, so essentially it doesnt matter. From then on it is a case of the best combo of looks, weight, feel etc etc.

My personal pref is traditional, italian, and quality.
scoobydoo
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also worth considering what frame your on now is it sloping or traditional and go for the same design. But go for carbon or titainium.

Favor carbon myself after riding a carbon frame the stiff ride and responsiveness is good.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light and stiff - shape/colour doesn't matter too much (within reason - wouldn't be seen dead on a 'flying gate' type)

I'm a qualified coach.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weight, looks, geometry all equally important.

Daft question. Wink

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
chrisd
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like compact as i like stiff frames and i also like the looks of 'em.

http://www.alternativesanctuary.co.uk
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions please - frame geometry Reply with quote

tracksprinterbabe wrote:
Traditional, or compact, or does it matter?
Traditional
Quote:
Is weight more important than the shape?
Yes
Quote:
Is does big beefy tubing win you over narrow?
No. I think the sharpest look is traditional close-clearance steel
Quote:
Flashy colours or subtle?
As flash as possible
Quote:
What would you buy?
Gangl titanium (traditional) or Ambrosio full carbon (modern) which weigh within 200g of one another (fully rigged, wheels out).

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
mhgregor
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's my answer on this matter.

Cheap (so you won't hurt your wallet when you crash), just as light as carbon - revolving weight is much more important i.e., wheels, pedals & cranks, stiffer than carbon yet compliant...it has carbon rear end, carbon Deda seat post and Deda forks, simple in colour / understated and above all it's a perfect fit.

I've had a Colnago C40, Coppi KSC, Ciocc Columbus, Bob Jackson 753, Raleigh 531...plus a number of others and after crashing them all, I'll never spend big money on a frame again, the components you put on it are far more important.

You can't beat a Taiwanese frame that's made up to geometry approved by your local hero and sprayed up locally in any combination of colours to match the rest of your kit. It comes out of the same factory as many top Italian brands. Full carbon imho is just a way of extracting extra cash out of us...manufacturers just push it at consumers. Alu is just as good if not better for a good road race frame.

Last edited by mhgregor on Wed May 10, 2006 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
hunterbark
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compact is the answer for me, I ride with my knees very close to the top tube (just like Bugno, only much slower). Got a compact for this racing season, I can now pedal properly and never touch the top tube with my knees, huge difference in comfort, will change my track steed next year to a compact, probably a Giant too.
Zontor the Destroyer
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunterbark wrote:
Compact is the answer for me, I ride with my knees very close to the top tube (just like Bugno, only much slower). Got a compact for this racing season, I can now pedal properly and never touch the top tube with my knees, huge difference in comfort, will change my track steed next year to a compact, probably a Giant too.

You can now pedal improperly you mean.
Zontor the Destroyer
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhgregor wrote:

Cheap (so you won't hurt your wallet when you crash), just as light as carbon - revolving weight is much more important i.e., wheels, pedals & cranks, stiffer than carbon yet compliant...it has carbon rear end, carbon Deda seat post and Deda forks, simple in colour / understated and above all it's a perfect fit.

I've had a Colnago C40, Coppi KSC, Ciocc Columbus, Bob Jackson 753, Raleigh 531...plus a number of others and after crashing them all, I'll never spend big money on a frame again, the components you put on it are far more important.

You can't beat a Taiwanese frame that's made up to geometry approved by your local hero, John Perks and sprayed up locally in any combination of colours to match the rest of your kit. It comes out of the same factory as many top Italian brands. Full carbon imho is just a way of extracting extra cash out of us...manufacturers just push it at consumers. Alu is just as good if not better for a good road race frame.

PM me if you want contact details for John Perks or a rough idea on his prices, they are very good. He has drawings of all the frame sizes on Auto CAD and can fit you up perfectly.

wow you crash alot, are you of sound mind?
mhgregor
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zontor the Destroyer wrote:
hunterbark wrote:

Surely that's a personal thing to hunterbark? A lot of riders pedal with their knees very close together as they find it easier to get force onto the pedal on the downstroke...and I'm not talking turd cat numpties like moi either, but there are plenty of handy pro's that ride like that.

Can't think of any off hand mind...yes I can! Frank Schleck rides very much like that. Surely you're not going to tell me he doesn't pedal properly now!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/apr06/amstel06/index.php?id=s-scleck6694-059
mhgregor
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow you crash alot, are you of sound mind?

Perfectly! I did start racing in 1988 and I've raced in Spain and the US, never at any great level of course...the Yanks are all nutters, big fields too: crashed there plenty, it's all those bleedin crits they race.
NS

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhgregor wrote:

You can't beat a Taiwanese frame that's made up to geometry approved by your local hero, John Perks and sprayed up locally in any combination of colours to match the rest of your kit. It comes out of the same factory as many top Italian brands. Full carbon imho is just a way of extracting extra cash out of us...manufacturers just push it at consumers. Alu is just as good if not better for a good road race frame.

PM me if you want contact details for John Perks or a rough idea on his prices, they are very good. He has drawings of all the frame sizes on Auto CAD and can fit you up perfectly.

I always thought being "fitted up" wasnt a good thing

Last edited by NS on Tue May 09, 2006 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
erudite pete
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhgregor wrote:
You can't beat a Taiwanese frame that's made up to geometry approved by your local hero, John Perks. He has drawings of all the frame sizes on Auto CAD and can fit you up perfectly.

Do you mean that the frame is custom-built to your dimensions?
Zontor the Destroyer
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhgregor wrote:
hunterbark wrote:

Surely that's a personal thing to hunterbark? A lot of riders pedal with their knees very close together as they find it easier to get force onto the pedal on the downstroke...and I'm not talking turd cat numpties like moi either, but there are plenty of handy pro's that ride like that.

Can't think of any off hand mind...yes I can! Frank Schleck rides very much like that. Surely you're not going to tell me he doesn't pedal properly now!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/apr06/amstel06/index.php?id=s-scleck6694-059

Yep, cant be bothered to explain, but yep yep yep.
joxster
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhgregor wrote:
hunterbark wrote:

Yep, cant be bothered to explain, but yep yep yep.

But Zontor is a mudplugger, so his opinion doesn't count. They don't know how to pedal. Wink

Programming is like 5ex, one mistake and you have to support it for life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: