Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Opinions please - frame geometry

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Opinions please - frame geometry
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What style of frame?
Compact
32%
 32%  [ 12 ]
Traditional
45%
 45%  [ 17 ]
Weight is more important
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
Looks are more important
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 37

monk
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First i would aim to find your ideal position then look around for a suitable off the peg frame to fit, Giant, koga, C'dale, yeti, kona, colnago or whatever, or if none are suitable however go for something built.

I'm personally a fan of steel frames so if going for something built I would go for summat steel.

Oversize tubing is the way fwd, in steel you can't get mega huge but some of the bigger size steel is still way rigid.

My view is that rigidity has to come first, you might be able to save a few watts here and there in aerodynamics but the power lost through frame flex is quite significant. It's through the reduced frame flex that frames like the corima track, BT and EIS carbon jobbies make a difference. Aerodynamics don't come into it much but the power delivery is only apparent when you've ridden them.

I do however feel a monstrously stiff 531, max, nivacron or deda 14 is however the best compromise as they are available in custom build, can be repaired in the event of smashing, are cost effective, and are fiarly readily available. You can get custom built alloy and carbon (corima make to measure) but you really pay for it, alloy is double the price of custom steel, carbon is sky limit; and neither are repairable if you get brought down.

I like solid colours rather than flashpaint jobs, there's nothing classier than a pure white, navy or black race bike IMO.

On frame shape I would actually go for a compact design, just as it looks that little bit extra special, esp if properly proportioned for the rider on board.
bonger

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joxster wrote:
Zontor the Destroyer wrote:
mhgregor wrote:
Zontor the Destroyer wrote:
hunterbark wrote:
Compact is the answer for me, I ride with my knees very close to the top tube (just like Bugno, only much slower). Got a compact for this racing season, I can now pedal properly and never touch the top tube with my knees, huge difference in comfort, will change my track steed next year to a compact, probably a Giant too.

You can now pedal improperly you mean.

Surely that's a personal thing to hunterbark? A lot of riders pedal with their knees very close together as they find it easier to get force onto the pedal on the downstroke...and I'm not talking turd cat numpties like moi either, but there are plenty of handy pro's that ride like that.

Can't think of any off hand mind...yes I can! Frank Schleck rides very much like that. Surely you're not going to tell me he doesn't pedal properly now!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/apr06/amstel06/index.php?id=s-scleck6694-059

Yep, cant be bothered to explain, but yep yep yep.

But Zontor is a mudplugger, so his opinion doesn't count. They don't know how to pedal. Wink
Not only that Zontor hasn't actually got a left knee anymore. It's made up of a selection of stale and fresh cortisone, Ostenil and scar tissue.
chrisd
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhgregor wrote:
There's my answer on this matter.

revolving weight is much more important i.e., wheels, pedals & cranks, stiffer than carbon yet compliant...it has carbon rear end, carbon Deda seat post and Deda forks,

, I'll never spend big money on a frame again, the components you put on it are far more important.
totally agree with this. i don't think i would ever spend massive money on a frame as the extra cash doesn't equate into extra proformance.

http://www.alternativesanctuary.co.uk
Crescenzo
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisd wrote:
mhgregor wrote:
There's my answer on this matter.

revolving weight is much more important i.e., wheels, pedals & cranks, stiffer than carbon yet compliant...it has carbon rear end, carbon Deda seat post and Deda forks,

, I'll never spend big money on a frame again, the components you put on it are far more important.
totally agree with this. i don't think i would ever spend massive money on a frame as the extra cash doesn't equate into extra proformance.

But surely it's about ride quality and longevity.
I've had a C40 for almost 9 years and after a few crashes is still solid as a rock. Rides like a dream and I never thought it could get better until I recently purchased a C50HM.
Though as everyone should know - not all carbon is the same:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/sponsors/italia/2005/colnago.php

PS. I don't like compact frames. Traditional all the way.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions please - frame geometry Reply with quote

tracksprinterbabe wrote:
Traditional, or compact, or does it matter?

Is weight more important than the shape?

Is does big beefy tubing win you over narrow?

Flashy colours or subtle?

What would you buy?

What are you going to use the bike for?
mhgregor
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crescenzo wrote:

But surely it's about ride quality and longevity.
I've had a C40 for almost 9 years and after a few crashes is still solid as a rock. Rides like a dream and I never thought it could get better until I recently purchased a C50HM.
Though as everyone should know - not all carbon is the same:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/sponsors/italia/2005/colnago.php

PS. I don't like compact frames. Traditional all the way.

Aren't they just taiwanese alloy frames with a carbon rear? Wink
Harmon
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride a recumbant..that should bypass all those fretting worries
Harmon
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a trike..says my esteemed colleague DD
marlboro man
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is for a road frame, it has to be a Giant. I personally ride a Dolan Black Soul for the simple reason that I like the look of it and it has a beefy BB section. However I recently stripped a Colnago Dream for a friend and put the same components on to her new Giant. Without wishing to do you an injustice Julie, she is considerably more powerful than you and the frame does not flex as much as the Colnago. Combined with the reduced weight it makes for a far more responsive bike. There are plenty of bargains to be had from the Giant range so you need not worry too much about replacing one should you suffer irreparable accident damage. Of course if you want something a little more individual you may want to give Terry a shout Wink
Bally
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit I've changed my mind on what does/does not look good over the years.

When mtb's came out they looked much better in a compact design than a horizontal top tube, but I thought that it was a no no road bikes.

However as the years have passed and they've become much more common, I've got used to them and think they look OK. My last road frame is a compact. (I still don't think a compact looks that good on a TT bike though).

It's the same with fat tubes and nowadays 'normal' tubes just don't look stiff - especially on a large frame (John McC's Roberts for example).

And nowadays I've toned down my colour schemes as well.

I suppose it's the same with any fashion - clothes, cars, bikes etc - we all change our mind on what looks good over the years.
"real class" - George Gilbert"
joxster
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bike is a bike, get one the is made to fit you and let your legs show everyone how fast it is. Rolling Eyes

Programming is like 5ex, one mistake and you have to support it for life.
Matt Clinton
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joxster wrote:
A bike is a bike, get one the is made to fit you and let your legs show everyone how fast it is. Rolling Eyes

Having a tan makes you go faster so I hear.

Avatar by Techno (http://techno.smugmug.com)
Iffacus
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Clinton wrote:
joxster wrote:

Lee's tan doesn't seem to help him Rolling Eyes Wink
digger
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Clinton wrote:
joxster wrote:

Anybody got any fake tan then Laughing ?
monk
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hpw fast would i be with one?
Matt Clinton
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monk wrote:

Well fast.

monk
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Clinton wrote:
monk wrote:
Well fast.
what about gethin butler?
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanned legs just look faster it's an illusion Very Happy
marlboro man
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you lot looking to help Julie with this or are you just wasting Bandwidth for the sake of it? Rolling Eyes
Matt Clinton
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marlboro man wrote:
Are you lot looking to help Julie with this or are you just wasting Bandwidth for the sake of it? Rolling Eyes

We're having a discussion in the merits of suntans... it's not about the bike, its about the legs!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: