Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Did De Rosa succeed in the Etape Du Tour?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Did De Rosa succeed in the Etape Du Tour?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did De Rosa succeed in the Etape Du Tour?
Yes
87%
 87%  [ 21 ]
No
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 24

Dark Helmet
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big up Guy. Cool

You are upthere with David Walliams and Steve Redgrave in my all time hero's list Laughing
chrisd
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did hayles and hoy do?

3hours+ for l'alpe! i bet every minute was murder with 100 miles in your legs (unless he was held up) Confused chapeau, allez, courage!!!!!!!

edit: hoy did about 8 1/2 hours. bet he loved l'alpe!

http://www.alternativesanctuary.co.uk
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halyes DNS - he broke his collarbone in the newky crit last week...

Paul
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Did De Rosa succeed in the Etape Du Tour? Reply with quote

Adam wrote:
Well, did our man Guy make it? He mentioned plenty-a-times that he was worried about getting pulled out by the broom wagon, but hopefully he made it!

Place your bets, because in a few days I'm sure we'll all be hearing about it!

Doesn't surprise me one bit, his normal job is a street sweeper.
It looks as though he swept L'Alpe d'huez as well by his time.
chrisd
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Did De Rosa succeed in the Etape Du Tour? Reply with quote

Pierre Head wrote:
Adam wrote:
Well, did our man Guy make it? He mentioned plenty-a-times that he was worried about getting pulled out by the broom wagon, but hopefully he made it!

that's a bit harsh isn't it?

sorry, i have just seen who posted this Very Happy

wobbly
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

every credit Guy - in that heat you did very well to get to the top of the Alpe

But did I see you stood 3 kms from the top of Izoard Wink Wink in the shade

On a general note, I think the organisation of the feed areas was p1ss poor - insufficient and inadequate - absolute chaos. A mate of mine said there was no water left on the top of Izoard when he got there. For me, it reminded me of a scene from a famine or drought country - one lad on the back of the water truck chucked a 6 pack out high, I caught it, then half a dozen hands were grabbing out for a bottle Shocked Shocked Shocked

It's put me off doing another one Sad Sad

Congrats to all the finishers
chrisd
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wobbly wrote:
every credit Guy - in that heat you did very well to get to the top of the Alpe

But did I see you stood 3 kms from the top of Izoard Wink Wink in the shade

On a general note, I think the organisation of the feed areas was p1ss poor - insufficient and inadequate - absolute chaos. A mate of mine said there was no water left on the top of Izoard when he got there. For me, it reminded me of a scene from a famine or drought country - one lad on the back of the water truck chucked a 6 pack out high, I caught it, then half a dozen hands were grabbing out for a bottle Shocked Shocked Shocked

It's put me off doing another one Sad Sad

Congrats to all the finishers
you were in france remember Wink you don't lose wars and world cups with anything but the best gallic disorganisation Very Happy

Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Did De Rosa succeed in the Etape Du Tour? Reply with quote

chrisd wrote:
Pierre Head wrote:
Adam wrote:

that's a bit harsh isn't it?

sorry, i have just seen who posted this Very Happy

Err NO Chris. Guy is my pal, and we play games with VR's.
Brian Cookson
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Guy finished. He did a great ride in scorching heat. The climb up Alpe d'Huez was so bad there were people collapsing with heat exhaustion. I saw one bloke being put on a drip by a paramedic, others just laid out. Apparently there were dozens of bikes just abandoned at the side of the road up the Alpe by those lucky enough to get picked up by the broom wagons. Temperatures out of the shade (of which there was precious little) were in the high thirties and of the 8,500 starters apparently 3,500 didn't make it to the finish. Bear in mind you already had 105 miles plus the Col d'Izoard and the Col du Lauteret in your legs by that point, all in increasing heat as the day went on.

Full story on the BC contingent coming soon on the BC website.

Brian

PS My time was 9.48.44 for 3,800th position, 750th in Cat D, and 2.21.50 of that time was taken riding, walking, crawling up the Alpe. Never again!
Cheryl
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That is amazing. It puts it into perspective just what an achievement it was. A big well done to you Brian as well as Guy for doing it. Cool Very Happy
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Cookson wrote:
Yes Guy finished. He did a great ride in scorching heat. The climb up Alpe d'Huez was so bad there were people collapsing with heat exhaustion. I saw one bloke being put on a drip by a paramedic, others just laid out. Apparently there were dozens of bikes just abandoned at the side of the road up the Alpe by those lucky enough to get picked up by the broom wagons. Temperatures out of the shade (of which there was precious little) were in the high thirties and of the 8,500 starters apparently 3,500 didn't make it to the finish. Bear in mind you already had 105 miles plus the Col d'Izoard and the Col du Lauteret in your legs by that point, all in increasing heat as the day went on.

Brian

PS My time was 9.48.44 for 3,800th position, 750th in Cat D, and 2.21.50 of that time was taken riding, walking, crawling up the Alpe. Never again!

Well done Brian, but for gods sake follow the PH method all the winter.
I'm the best coach you haven't got.
Ventoux
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Cookson wrote:

Brian

Nice one Brian, i was looking out for you guys all day. Saw Jason and Chris at the start.
I know how you felt on the Alpe! I went through it just like that on Saturday -Horrible!
8h6s Marmotte - 1h 40m Alpe d'Huez , 465th
8h3m Etape - 1h 15m Alpe d'Huez, 1434th

Craig
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks - I am back and thanks for your kind messages. As you will have gathered the event was pretty tough for me and I suspect loads of others. Funnily enough I think most would tell you the same - that the distance was OK and even the climbs were OK but the heat was absolutely murderous. I think everyone who I saw that was in trouble was all to do with the heat and we could all make excuses like saying "Well let's ride it on a better day for a better time"etc. But it got me thinking about the pros who ride the Tour - not the stars who get all the glory but the domestiques who have to do a day's work - for three weeks - and then get up the climbs like Alpe D'Huez and they will still do it in less than an hour regardless of the heat or rain etc. If I got one thing out of the ride yesterday it was to just slightly appreciate what the road pros put themselves through and the standard they must be at. So when I go and look at the stage results next week for the Alpe D'Huez stage I am going to look right down the result sheer for those coming in near the tail end and say as the French did yesterday "Chapeau!". And I'm going to look at bradley Wiggins and think to myself - how can a bloke be Olympic Pursuit Champion and even think about getting up climbs like that. I am going to be rooting for him whenever I see him on the telly. How about a few positive messages for him on VR as he is a bloody superstar and needs our support during what must be a terribly demanding three weeks.

PS I would have got the Alpe quicker but I had to stop for endless cups of tea with my fans in the final 3 kilometres Shocked . Wink And climbing out of Briancon at the short steep hill thanks to whoever from VR for shouting "Bloody hell - it's De Rosa! He's not packed yet. Come on De Rosa!" Laughing Laughing
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old cycling game? All that pedalling, climbing, suffering? Hardest game in the world, done it meself you see, 30 years, man and boy!

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Matt Clinton
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming out on the chaingang on Thursday then? Wink
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Clinton wrote:
Coming out on the chaingang on Thursday then? Wink

Errrm - no! Wink
Peter de Vlaeminck
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy, well done mate, total respect, sounded awful, but a great achievement! A role reversal has now happened, you are forever my Captain ..... Very Happy
Ventoux110700
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic TdF Stage route, but I saw guys laying in the MIDDLE of the road on Alpe d'Huez smashed Exclamation
My room mate stormed it tho', Dave Smith 2nd Brit at 45th ish. Was worried when he dropped me on training ride to Arvieux 2 days before Shocked .
I was going for Gold but missed it by an hour Razz
Just got a Silver in 8'27".
Shane Sutton came past me with a big guy (not Hoy or Queilly) in tow 3 k from finish Shocked
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paperazzi/sets/
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ventoux110700 wrote:
Classic TdF Stage route, but I saw guys laying in the MIDDLE of the road on Alpe d'Huez smashed Exclamation
My room mate stormed it tho', Dave Smith 2nd Brit at 45th ish. Was worried when he dropped me on training ride to Arvieux 2 days before Shocked .
I was going for Gold but missed it by an hour Razz
Just got a Silver in 8'27".
Shane Sutton came past me with a big guy (not Hoy or Queilly) in tow 3 k from finish Shocked

That was Pez who only started riding a bike about a year go.
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De Rosa wrote:
Hi folks - I am back and thanks for your kind messages. As you will have gathered the event was pretty tough for me and I suspect loads of others. Funnily enough I think most would tell you the same - that the distance was OK and even the climbs were OK but the heat was absolutely murderous. I think everyone who I saw that was in trouble was all to do with the heat and we could all make excuses like saying "Well let's ride it on a better day for a better time"etc. But it got me thinking about the pros who ride the Tour - not the stars who get all the glory but the domestiques who have to do a day's work - for three weeks - and then get up the climbs like Alpe D'Huez and they will still do it in less than an hour regardless of the heat or rain etc. If I got one thing out of the ride yesterday it was to just slightly appreciate what the road pros put themselves through and the standard they must be at. So when I go and look at the stage results next week for the Alpe D'Huez stage I am going to look right down the result sheer for those coming in near the tail end and say as the French did yesterday "Chapeau!". And I'm going to look at bradley Wiggins and think to myself - how can a bloke be Olympic Pursuit Champion and even think about getting up climbs like that. I am going to be rooting for him whenever I see him on the telly. How about a few positive messages for him on VR as he is a bloody superstar and needs our support during what must be a terribly demanding three weeks.

PS I would have got the Alpe quicker but I had to stop for endless cups of tea with my fans in the final 3 kilometres Shocked . Wink And climbing out of Briancon at the short steep hill thanks to whoever from VR for shouting "Bloody hell - it's De Rosa! He's not packed yet. Come on De Rosa!" Laughing Laughing

Well said Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: