Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Brits in TDF

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Brits in TDF
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we be proud of our boys?
Yes
76%
 76%  [ 39 ]
No
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Don't care
21%
 21%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 51

Billynobrakes
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Brits in TDF Reply with quote

Should we be proud of the efforts of Wiggins and Millar this year?
MercMan
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're both still in there, so why not? Wiggins got himself in a break and Millar has ridden O.K. throughout, which is a good effort despite no racing for two years.
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course we should and I am surprised the question is even being asked. Adrian Timmis comes on VR - ask him what the tour is like as a domestique. To get to Paris is an outstanding achievement qwhich few riders achieve in their career.

We go on and on about things like the Etape and yet the winner was half an hour behind the slowest TDF rider on that stage.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

De Rosa wrote:
We go on and on about things like the Etape and yet the winner was half an hour behind the slowest TDF rider on that stage.
Interesting, I've heard about this comparison before; has the Etape winner ever finished faster than any of the professionals?

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
hed
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

millar has had a good return to pro cycling after his ban, i'm sure he'll be happy to get to paris and happy to be racing again.

wiggins will be pleased i think, but more importantly his team will be pleased with what he has done for them, especially chavanel the other day.

so both can be proud and we can be proud of them.
PeteMcCosh
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

De Rosa wrote:
Of course we should and I am surprised the question is even being asked. Adrian Timmis comes on VR - ask him what the tour is like as a domestique. To get to Paris is an outstanding achievement which few riders achieve in their career.

I would definitely agree with that. However, there will be 140 guys crossing the finish line on Sunday and I don't really see any reason to single some of them out for extra praise just because they have the same passport as me.

One of the things I've always liked about following cycling - unlike most other sports - is that you don't really support a rider or a team, but appreciate the racing and the tactics as a whole. Obviously, you have personal heroes and villains but I find it's hard to be partisan in the face of a good ride or clever wearing down of an opponent.

After years of watching Belgians and Kazakhs riding for Spanish and German teams in French and Italian races, it seems pointless to make an issue about where a rider comes from. At a slight tangent, it's always been a problem for me the way commentators go on about "English speaking" riders.

So, do I admire them? Yes. Most definitely. I was even more impressed, on checking the overall standings, to see Millar was only 10 minutes behind Voigt and De La Fuente on GC.

Am I proud because they're two of my 60 million compatriots? No.
Le Rolleur
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am amazed that Millar has prepared himself to get through all the mountain stages just from training in the UK countryside! Shocked So yes, very impressed. Hopefully he can build on it for the Vuelta.

Wiggins... first tour, doing pretty well. Still got a lot of maturing to do as a road rider so impressed by him also.

I think we should be amazed that any of our domestic racers reach TDF level at all when you consider how hard it is to get in a continental pro tour team.
hed
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]Am I proud because they're two of my 60 million compatriots? No.[/quote]

what hope has british cycling got if we (british cyclists) don't get behind british riders when they compete, or are we now not british but just english speaking?
Badger
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard once that in a 10 year cycle only 500 riders finish the TdeF. Not sure if that is true
Cary de Weigh
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I'm proud of 'em. Anyone who finishes the Tour demands respect. That's why I think Adrian Timmis was one of the best (unsung) British riders of his generation.

Cycling will never become a mainstream sport until youngsters here have a British hero to inspire them to choose cycling ahead of football.
troy spartan
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
De Rosa wrote:
Interesting, I've heard about this comparison before; has the Etape winner ever finished faster than any of the professionals?

The difference in conditions between the Etape and the tour make such comparisons a waste of time. For example the tour, one peleton working, on the whole, together. The Etape, several thousand individuals, on the whole, getting in each others way.

Life's short but hard like a bodybuilding elf.

Fun whilst it lasted.

www.whiteknightrc.com
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

troy spartan wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
De Rosa wrote:
The difference in conditions between the Etape and the tour make such comparisons a waste of time. For example the tour, one peleton working, on the whole, together. The Etape, several thousand individuals, on the whole, getting in each others way.
I've never ridden it. I was given to believe that it's 'seeded', as Kimmage kinda reported, with the fast boys to the front and largely working together. But if it's not so, fair enough.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Le Rolleur wrote:
I am amazed that Millar has prepared himself to get through all the mountain stages just from training in the UK countryside! Shocked So yes, very impressed. Hopefully he can build on it for the Vuelta.

Wiggins... first tour, doing pretty well. Still got a lot of maturing to do as a road rider so impressed by him also.

I think we should be amazed that any of our domestic racers reach TDF level at all when you consider how hard it is to get in a continental pro tour team.

Don't talk trash. Do you think DM just did a bit tootling round the Pennines?
He's been training with his SD teammates doing 6 hours a day, like everone else in the TDF.
Naive or what?
troy spartan
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
troy spartan wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
De Rosa wrote:
I've never ridden it. I was given to believe that it's 'seeded', as Kimmage kinda reported, with the fast boys to the front and largely working together. But if it's not so, fair enough.

But the road is only so wide and above a certain number more is not better. Don't forget the peleton know what they are doing and you'll know from racing most club cyclist don't. Organising such a large group in to a smooth working bunch is impossible. And given the distances involved in the Etape 30mins is nowt. some will lose a load of time just getting out of the start area.

Fun whilst it lasted.

www.whiteknightrc.com
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming out of the start area wasted no more than 10 mins and I was number 3003. The tour riders are in a totally different class from anyone on the Etape.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

troy spartan wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
troy spartan wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
De Rosa wrote:

But the road is only so wide and above a certain number more is not better. Don't forget the peleton know what they are doing and you'll know from racing most club cyclist don't. Organising such a large group in to a smooth working bunch is impossible. And given the distances involved in the Etape 30mins is nowt. some will lose a load of time just getting out of the start area.
Don't forget that half the peloton is dying on it's assos, whereas etape riders should be as fresh as a daisy.

Anyway, I'm proud of them, especially because they are British. What's wrong with being patriotic?

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Tony Bell
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Millar has done a fantastic ride in the Tour, given the circumstances of the past two years. I'm hoping he will build on the last three weeks, turn out some good rides later in the season, and then begin to focus on next year and beyond.
It's just a shame that some individuals in our sport can't move on and stop treating him as if he was a serial killer, rather than a guy who made the same mistake that many of his fellow pros have made.
Oh, and Bradley has done well in his first Tour as well. Cool
troy spartan
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De Rosa wrote:
Coming out of the start area wasted no more than 10 mins and I was number 3003. The tour riders are in a totally different class from anyone on the Etape.

I never said they weren't Confused .

I just said it was a crap comparison, which it is. I know plenty of lads who've gone and done the Etape and all without fail have said they were held up by the sheer number of riders in their way. Particularly on the climbs and more over on the descents. This isn't a criticism just a fact.

Fun whilst it lasted.

www.whiteknightrc.com
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

troy spartan wrote:
De Rosa wrote:

I never said they weren't Confused .

I just said it was a crap comparison, which it is. I know plenty of lads who've gone and done the Etape and all without fail have said they were held up by the sheer number of riders in their way. Particularly on the climbs and more over on the descents. This isn't a criticism just a fact.

oops Wink
Le Rolleur
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Bell wrote:
It's just a shame that some individuals in our sport can't move on and stop treating him as if he was a serial killer, rather than a guy who made the same mistake that many of his fellow pros have made.

:script:

I'd even go as far as changing many to 'most' or 'all' if we believe Willy Voet and Paul Kimmage.

While I don't condone illegal *CENSORED* use and doping, the people that go on about how *CENSORED* and isolated it is have their head buried in the sand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: