Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Eurosport's Tour Coverage

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Eurosport's Tour Coverage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Eurosport's Tour Coverage
Bang On!
53%
 53%  [ 30 ]
Better than i expected
21%
 21%  [ 12 ]
mmmmm........Middling
14%
 14%  [ 8 ]
I only watch phil and paul, Harmon and Kelly, be DAMNED!
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 56

chrisd
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Eurosport's Tour Coverage Reply with quote

what you think, ah, ruuuude boy?

http://www.alternativesanctuary.co.uk
Pretty boy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps David Harmon can answer this? I've had a load of people in my club telling me they heard my name mentioned on Eurosport by the Harmonaitor. (Great commentary by the way - best commentator).

My real name - David Crowley - not my VR monkier

I haven't emailed the show or anything? Help? Confused
???
Julian Mortel
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great coverage this year. Best yet.
I like:
Smithy confined to his stats locker
Tour backstage - it shows how enthusiastic / passionate everyone is on Tour
Harmon - when it's live you have to double take & check its not a recording, he knows all the riders.

Dis like:
ITV, Phil & Paul appear to be staged & stiff.
Krusty, no volume control

To make thing more impressive, I was watching cyclingTV, I think at the Romandy & they had camaras a la F1 mounted on the bikes. An excellent view that gave you the 'real' feeling of speed. Thought we might see it on the tour this year. Maybe next year?
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julian Mortel wrote:
I like:
Harmon - when it's live you have to double take & check its not a recording, he knows all the riders.
Dis like:

To make thing more impressive, I was watching cyclingTV, I think at the Romandy & they had camaras a la F1 mounted on the bikes. An excellent view that gave you the 'real' feeling of speed. Thought we might see it on the tour this year. Maybe next year?

Agree. He also knows what they are doing which is very different from poor old Duffers.

What I can't understand is why it took them this long to move Duffers "upstairs".
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De Rosa wrote:
Julian Mortel wrote:
I like:
Dis like:

Agree. He also knows what they are doing which is very different from poor old Duffers.

What I can't understand is why it took them this long to move Duffers "upstairs".

I do know all about this.
Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seemed better this year. Harmon and Kelly were great for the live stuff. Still need to get Duffers off completely. Only so much of his whittering I can take. I kept switching the over during the pre and post amble yesterday. By the end of the Tour James already had a better grasp of what was going on than Duffers. Good to see some quality guests in the studio.
Birillo
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Still need to get Duffers off completely.

No. no, no! There should be a special interlude when Duffers can enlighten us on the cheese/wine/WWII history of the region. Perfect for those long, boring, flat stages
Lillywhite
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birillo wrote:
Quote:
Still need to get Duffers off completely.

No. no, no! There should be a special interlude when Duffers can enlighten us on the cheese/wine/WWII history of the region. Perfect for those long, boring, flat stages

When I've had debates in the past with pro-Duffers people they've all defended his 'prattling' saying that it must be difficult to commentate for hours on end during a long or boring stage.

In my opinion, David Harmon and Sean Kelly have been excellent in achieving a good, informative commentary during the last 3 weeks without resorting to mentioning wine, cheese and trike racing. Wink
David Harmon, on this message board, took a bit of flak for talking about MTB racing and riders but this was completely relevant given Landis's background.

I also enjoyed the pre-stage slot in the studio. hosted by James Richardson, when I was able to watch. Many of the guests made excellent contributions, with Roger Hammond the best of those I saw.

Keep up the good work, Eurosport.
grimpeur
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julian Mortel wrote:

He doesn't know all the riders but is good at blagging it, I'll give him that. An ill-informed viewer would be one the wiser.

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

His knowledge of the sport clearly extends back no further than about 5 years, but he does seem to at least be making an effort to catch up. I got sick of hearing him say things like 'I'm not sure but I think this guy won a stage in the Tour a couple of years ago'. IMO a commentator should have an expert knowledge of the sport and riders palmares, not just be able to identify them and talk non stop for hours. Like all English Eurosport commentators he talks too much, there is no need to talk constantly.
Smithy should be got rid of, he is even worse than Duffers. On one stage Rinero was in the break all day and Harmon never mentioned that he won the mountains jersey in '98 (I doubt he was watching back then). Then the next day he mentioned it and said 'I think he rode for *CENSORED*' (he didn't, he rode for Cofidis). Smithy then goes 'You're absolutely right David, he did ride for *CENSORED*'. Rolling Eyes Thank God I was in France for the last 10 days.
marlboro man
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty boy wrote:
Perhaps David Harmon can answer this? I've had a load of people in my club telling me they heard my name mentioned on Eurosport by the Harmonaitor. (Great commentary by the way - best commentator).

My real name - David Crowley - not my VR monkier

I haven't emailed the show or anything? Help? Confused
???

Could have been your Dad? A few beers in the afternoon and who knows what he'd get up to. Some people bid on Ebay, perhaps Dave Snr calls up Eurosport to vent anger at the Krusty.
"so if MM wants to suck down 16mg unfiltered tar-laden cancer-causing , he will! And by God, he'll enjoy it... not to mention chasing nubile Estonian tail whilst off his opps on cheap and savage Baltic charlie...! " Colin Sturgess
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: