Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Team DFL-Cyclingnews-Litespeed Rosta 2007

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Team DFL-Cyclingnews-Litespeed Rosta 2007
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Could this squad ride a Belgium Classic?
Yes
68%
 68%  [ 32 ]
No
31%
 31%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 47

Harmon
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Lloyd will be a real surprise I'm sure of it, he's an excellent rider.
dougal
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaccyD, I understand that you have had your issue's with the team in the past, fair enough air your views, it makes for intresting reading.

It's nice to see a british team having ago.
Pablo
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harmon wrote:
Dan Lloyd will be a real surprise I'm sure of it, he's an excellent rider.

...and a nice feller as well.
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougal wrote:
I don't understand why people are putting the team/riders down before the season even begins?

Look being a realist is not putting the riders down. I'd love to see the team do better but Brian made a statement akin to Alex Bogdanovich is going to win wimbledon. Its laughable, and making such statements just underminds his credibility. It will an acheivement of any of the other riders (Nico and Hamish aside) to get much past the second feed in something like Flanders or Roubaix. Being in the finale in the peleton would be fantastic.
Pablo
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mho wrote:
dougal wrote:
I don't understand why people are putting the team/riders down before the season even begins?

Look being a realist is not putting the riders down. I'd love to see the team do better but Brian made a statement akin to Alex Bogdanovich is going to win wimbledon. Its laughable, and making such statements just underminds his credibility. It will an acheivement of any of the other riders (Nico and Hamish aside) to get much past the second feed in something like Flanders or Roubaix. Being in the finale in the peleton would be fantastic.

It's not for me to leap to Brian's defence, but as an ex Giro D'Italia rider, I wouldn't have thought his credibility is in doubt.

He also runs the Braveheart Fund whom I believe are sponsoring/funding Evan. I think he's chuffed that he's managed to help a fellow Scotsman on his way, more than anything else. I don't think he meant for his prediction to be taken that seriously.
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pablo wrote:
mho wrote:
dougal wrote:

It's not for me to leap to Brian's defence, but as an ex Giro D'Italia rider, I wouldn't have thought his credibility is in doubt.

He also runs the Braveheart Fund whom I believe are sponsoring/funding Evan. I think he's chuffed that he's managed to help a fellow Scotsman on his way, more than anything else. I don't think he meant for his prediction to be taken that seriously.

Good for him (I knew who it was) and I stand by my opinion that over the top statement like that damage his credibility. Remind me Brian, what were Evan's palmares this year that give you cause to think he can finish a BELGIAN CLASSIC?

I'm not decrying the support you have and are giving which is laudable but in my view it does your cause no good to over promise. Better to underpromise and over deliver.
superchicken
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pablo wrote:
My heart says yes, but my head says I don't have a clue about two thirds of the riders in the squad.

Mattan would not have a problem and you would expect that Hamish would get round comfortably.

After that - a belgian classic would be a huge step up for Evan and Dan Fleeman.

Daniel Lloyd might surprise a few people. He had a superb season last year riding consistantly well in some long stage races, but 260k against Pro Tour riders is a tough call.

Coalminer is already in training for the cobbles etc, we currently got him carrying all our bottles for the training rides and we make him ride constantly on grass verges. Dan as I assume the others understand its a big step. Sucessful teams are built on soild foundations. I think thats there. Only thing missing of course are the hollywood mansion. They can all stay at Mcdonalds mansion though if they get stuck for room
BrianS
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mho wrote:
Pablo wrote:
mho wrote:
dougal wrote:

Good for him (I knew who it was) and I stand by my opinion that over the top statement like that damage his credibility. Remind me Brian, what were Evan's palmares this year that give you cause to think he can finish a BELGIAN CLASSIC?

I'm not decrying the support you have and are giving which is laudable but in my view it does your cause no good to over promise. Better to underpromise and over deliver.

Are you having a laugh!

Tongue and cheek!!!! Confused

Credibility ??? i personally don't worry about that.

If you want be to be honest now....i do beleive he can finish an event like Het Volk. Nico has promised me he will take him under his wing. Talk about living in the past and being negative. Can we all not give our best British support to our very own highest ranked team!!!
BrianS
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mho....i have edited my original post and will amend my ways in future Rolling Eyes
McDonalds
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: i do Reply with quote

I have a mansion? where is it? Is it a playboy mansion?
stalwart
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mho wrote:
Pablo wrote:
mho wrote:
dougal wrote:

Right.......2nd on stage of Tour of Langkawi, 2nd on ToB stage to Ivanov, 2nd in UK points race, winner Ryedale Premier, winner Colne Crit Series, 4th Commonwealth Points race, 3rd overall and stage win in Tour of Wellington...do u want me to go on??
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stalwart wrote:
Right.......2nd on stage of Tour of Langkawi, 2nd on ToB stage to Ivanov, 2nd in UK points race, winner Ryedale Premier, winner Colne Crit Series, 4th Commonwealth Points race, 3rd overall and stage win in Tour of Wellington...do u want me to go on??

In order - Early season training race, Boonen's pro training holiday, track,semi pro race, ?, track, off season back water (good ride though!).
In short very little of these in anyway show the capability to finish in a classic.

Best of luck to Evan so just to show I'm not being negative just realistic. If Brian thinks he is so good I will you a bet. Which is £500 donnation to Braveheart if Evan finishes a Belgian classic within th etime limit in the next two years. If he doesn't, in return I'd like a signed jersey (preferably motorola) from Brian.

Belgian Classic defined as
Paris Roubaix
Flanders
L-B-L
Gent Bubbelgum
Fleche
I'll throw in Amstel as a freebee.

Seems low risk to you Brian is it a deal?

Anyone else prepared to motivate the guy?
BrianS
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mho wrote:
stalwart wrote:

In order - Early season training race, Boonen's pro training holiday, track,semi pro race, ?, track, off season back water (good ride though!).
In short very little of these in anyway show the capability to finish in a classic.

Best of luck to Evan so just to show I'm not being negative just realistic. If Brian thinks he is so good I will you a bet. Which is £500 donnation to Braveheart if Evan finishes a Belgian classic within th etime limit in the next two years. If he doesn't, in return I'd like a signed jersey (preferably motorola) from Brian.

Paris Roubaix
Flanders
L-B-L
Gent Bubbelgum
Fleche

Deal

Doubt if the team will ride any of these this year or next. If registered in Belgium then there would be a better possibility.

Het Volk
K-B-K
E3

Hard races and semi classics. All prep races for the big ones. They should be riding them this year. Evan is not the best tactition but is very capable to follow. With Nico's guidance i'm sure he will benefit.
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianS wrote:
mho wrote:
stalwart wrote:

Paris Roubaix
Flanders
L-B-L
Gent Bubbelgum
Fleche

Deal

Doubt if the team will ride any of these this year or next. If registered in Belgium then there would be a better possibility.

Het Volk
K-B-K
E3

Hard races and semi classics. All prep races for the big ones. They should be riding them this year. Evan is not the best tactition but is very capable to follow. With Nico's guidance i'm sure he will benefit.

ok then lets make it a two level affair, £250 if he finishes within the time limit this year of any one of.
Het Volk
K-B-K
E3

and lets add semi classics
Paris - Brussels
Schelderprise

The £500 incentive stands.

The evidence is the result published on either Cyclingnews.com or Het Volk or UCI?. In the event of a dispute Andy V is arbiter.

I look forward to having to write a cheque and shaking you by the hand sometime.
stalwart
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, Cummings has signed for Discovery!!! Didn't know that Shocked

My finger must be right on the pulse of the sport..... Wink
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stalwart wrote:
Blimey, Cummings has signed for Discovery!!! Didn't know that Shocked

My finger must be right on the pulse of the sport..... Wink

Worse still I think I commented on the original thread at the time.... Embarassed
Too busy to remember.

Anyway if you think Evan is so good add your own incentive....
stalwart
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate, I'm not into betting and I've no idea if DFL or Ev for that matter will be riding Het Volk this year. I don't necessarily think that Ev is God's gift to cycling and neither does he which is the nice thing. I'm just saying that with the ability that I think he has, he is at least capable of getting round a semi-classic at some point in the future. Look at this yrs results for instance, obviously Gilbert, Boonen et al are top drawer but look through the other 60 odd riders in 'the bunch'. I'm sure you will agree that some of them are nothing particularly special....
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stalwart wrote:
Mate, I'm not into betting and I've no idea if DFL or Ev for that matter will be riding Het Volk this year. I don't necessarily think that Ev is God's gift to cycling and neither does he which is the nice thing. I'm just saying that with the ability that I think he has, he is at least capable of getting round a semi-classic at some point in the future. Look at this yrs results for instance, obviously Gilbert, Boonen et al are top drawer but look through the other 60 odd riders in 'the bunch'. I'm sure you will agree that some of them are nothing particularly special....

I'm hardly betting now am I?
U scots are a tight lot - not even a tenner to Braveheart?
Gary K
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a bit unfair to be putting this pressure on the lad. Wish him well and let his legs (and head and guidance from Nico) do the talking. It's like saying the youngster who wins the club 10 is going to be the next National Champ - too much pressure and expectation to try and live up to, which is something that is not required at any level.

I've never met Evan (and probably never will), but I've only ever heard good things about him as a rider and person. It's a pity there are a number of people who are consistently bigging him up, when he probably would rather just be left to get on with it.

Good luck to him, whatever and however he rides. Same goes to the rest of the squad.
Gary K
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mho wrote:
stalwart wrote:

I'm hardly betting now am I?
U scots are a tight lot - not even a tenner to Braveheart?

A wager of £250 or £500 against a consequential outcome is betting in my books.

Definition: An agreement usually between two parties that the one who has made an incorrect prediction about an uncertain outcome will forfeit something stipulated to the other
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: