Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Team DFL-Cyclingnews-Litespeed Rosta 2007

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Team DFL-Cyclingnews-Litespeed Rosta 2007
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Could this squad ride a Belgium Classic?
Yes
68%
 68%  [ 32 ]
No
31%
 31%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 47

mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary K wrote:
I think it is a bit unfair to be putting this pressure on the lad. Wish him well and let his legs (and head and guidance from Nico) do the talking. It's like saying the youngster who wins the club 10 is going to be the next National Champ - too much pressure and expectation to try and live up to, which is something that is not required at any level.

I've never met Evan (and probably never will), but I've only ever heard good things about him as a rider and person. It's a pity there are a number of people who are consistently bigging him up, when he probably would rather just be left to get on with it.

Good luck to him, whatever and however he rides. Same goes to the rest of the squad.

Thanks for expressing my points a lot better than I did.
Café Racer
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO all the riders on the team are quality...it might take time for them to adjust to the high levels riding classic or semi classic races but once they get there i am sure they will do well

Julian Winn showed what you can do on the continent a few years ago

I look forward to a great men's senior British RR Champs this year...gonna be fantastic
Flap

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting comments !!

in my opinion, "dfl-whatever" could RIDE a classic, finishing, or placing, are entirely different matters!

as for the comments "nico taking riders under his wing" etc...... not necessarily a good thing...!!! nightclubs/Evil or Very Mad/unprofessional/and being a perpetual Evil or Very Mad, do not make a successful pro.....tho, jumping behind a mates car, and taking a classic, in your home patch, does kinda guarantee your "status".

should be interesting to see team race next year!
staff
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good see some debate on the matter, flap you disregard one major point. Not everyone can ride a classic, you have to be minimum pro conti registered and then you have to work hard on your connections and market yourself correctly. Is it an accident that the team has Eric Vanderaerden as DS and has signed Nico Mattans or is it a strategy that most have missed. Before we have any major issue do'nt forget that everything is built in progressions two years ago the structure of this team did not exist and now we are contemplating riding classics. A British team racing live on television. There is no pressure on the team as we are new at this level and set our own goals, sponsors come to the team not only on the expectation of winning but also of exposure and growth. When was the last time we had so many British riders in one team with the opportunity of riding in such races. With regards to the team selection and riders completing races there have been some good points raised, can anyone name riders 5,6,7,8 of the Eskatel team that raced the classics last year, how many groups did the Tour of Flanders split into and what was the time gaps. I think sometimes we are awe struck in this country about continental riders but with the platform that we have next year we will be able to more accurately judge where we stand.

Its good to see the support on here and the comment but I have no great expectation this year other than concolidating our position and learning more about the level of racing that we are entering. I trust that the project that is being followed in 2007 will lead to more opportunity for British riders in the future.
stalwart
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright Mho, I'm not Scottish, although I live there, and am certainly not tight! I have no vested interest in Ev or put any pressure on him. He's just a good mate of mine and whilst I freely admit that I am biased I felt that I should objectively point out some of his performances which I feel demonstrate his ability, an ability which I feel would at least get him through a Belgian classic, of a certain level, at some point in the future. If for any reason he doesn't, then I don't think he or I will look silly as neither of us are making any outrageous claims here.

I don't think either Brian or I were starting an argument here, just responding to your claim that only 1 rider from the team would finish a Belgian classic which we felt was unfair on quite a few other riders, including Evan.

Friends? Smile
Max Drury
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bjorn Cornelison! Funny gut, but how he's managed to become a pro bike rider I'll never know!
BrianS
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mho wrote:
BrianS wrote:
mho wrote:
stalwart wrote:
Right.......2nd on stage of Tour of Langkawi, 2nd on ToB stage to Ivanov, 2nd in UK points race, winner Ryedale Premier, winner Colne Crit Series, 4th Commonwealth Points race, 3rd overall and stage win in Tour of Wellington...do u want me to go on??

In order - Early season training race, Boonen's pro training holiday, track,semi pro race, ?, track, off season back water (good ride though!).
In short very little of these in anyway show the capability to finish in a classic.

Best of luck to Evan so just to show I'm not being negative just realistic. If Brian thinks he is so good I will you a bet. Which is £500 donnation to Braveheart if Evan finishes a Belgian classic within th etime limit in the next two years. If he doesn't, in return I'd like a signed jersey (preferably motorola) from Brian.

Belgian Classic defined as
Paris Roubaix
Flanders
L-B-L
Gent Bubbelgum
Fleche
I'll throw in Amstel as a freebee.

Seems low risk to you Brian is it a deal?

Anyone else prepared to motivate the guy?

Deal

Doubt if the team will ride any of these this year or next. If registered in Belgium then there would be a better possibility.

Het Volk
K-B-K
E3

Hard races and semi classics. All prep races for the big ones. They should be riding them this year. Evan is not the best tactition but is very capable to follow. With Nico's guidance i'm sure he will benefit.

ok then lets make it a two level affair, £250 if he finishes within the time limit this year of any one of.
Het Volk
K-B-K
E3

and lets add semi classics
Paris - Brussels
Schelderprise

The £500 incentive stands.

The evidence is the result published on either Cyclingnews.com or Het Volk or UCI?. In the event of a dispute Andy V is arbiter.

I look forward to having to write a cheque and shaking you by the hand sometime.

Either way you will get your signed Motorola Top!

Merry Xmas Very Happy
van eijden
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianS wrote:
Evan Oliphant to win Het Volk!!!! Cool

[the above statement is 'tongue and cheek' and not to be taken seriously. Smiley with shades was abit obvious i know. If you have taken it seriously then i wish you well in your own serious world]

Good Luck to all the team in 2007!!!!!

You could pipe him over the line Brian!
BrianS
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

van eijden wrote:
BrianS wrote:
Evan Oliphant to win Het Volk!!!! Cool

[the above statement is 'tongue and cheek' and not to be taken seriously. Smiley with shades was abit obvious i know. If you have taken it seriously then i wish you well in your own serious world]

Good Luck to all the team in 2007!!!!!

You could pipe him over the line Brian!

Evan is the piper....i will down a few Belgian beers. Very Happy

Saying that i don't think he will need the pipes in most of these races when the pressure is on....his lungs will be playing the tunes! Confused
Andy V
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

staff wrote:
Good see some debate on the matter, flap you disregard one major point. Not everyone can ride a classic, you have to be minimum pro conti registered and then you have to work hard on your connections and market yourself correctly. Is it an accident that the team has Eric Vanderaerden as DS and has signed Nico Mattans or is it a strategy that most have missed. Before we have any major issue do'nt forget that everything is built in progressions two years ago the structure of this team did not exist and now we are contemplating riding classics. A British team racing live on television. There is no pressure on the team as we are new at this level and set our own goals, sponsors come to the team not only on the expectation of winning but also of exposure and growth. When was the last time we had so many British riders in one team with the opportunity of riding in such races. With regards to the team selection and riders completing races there have been some good points raised, can anyone name riders 5,6,7,8 of the Eskatel team that raced the classics last year, how many groups did the Tour of Flanders split into and what was the time gaps. I think sometimes we are awe struck in this country about continental riders but with the platform that we have next year we will be able to more accurately judge where we stand.

Its good to see the support on here and the comment but I have no great expectation this year other than concolidating our position and learning more about the level of racing that we are entering. I trust that the project that is being followed in 2007 will lead to more opportunity for British riders in the future.

Nick ,I can Rolling Eyes Also could take you to the exact point that Hoste attacked with Bonnen in his wheel to stay clear-'it will never work from here' Wink
kieran
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why dont you all just wait and see how good these guys are instead of doubting them before they have even ridden a race!!
flap mattan was there at the end he did not sit behind a car for the whole race so id tend to say he was "pretty effin good"
at the end of the day boys these guys just want to do as best as they can which is a bit higher level than you lot sat here critisising them!
just get behind them and see how they go!
hed
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kieran wrote:
why dont you all just wait and see how good these guys are instead of doubting them before they have even ridden a race!!
flap mattan was there at the end he did not sit behind a car for the whole race so id tend to say he was "pretty effin good"
at the end of the day boys these guys just want to do as best as they can which is a bit higher level than you lot sat here critisising them!

yeah, if everyone gets behind them they are bound to win (think about it, its supposed to be a joke)

Last edited by hed on Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pretty boy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kieran wrote:

I hate this sort of post. We seem to be having a reasoned, sensible debate and somebody always wades in with a pointless 'Just get behind them they're doing their best, we should all support them and not question them at all blah blah blah jingoistic sycophantic clap trap.'

The whole point about being a sports fan is that you get to debate the merits or demerits of teams, even those you support. Come back when you have something to contribute to this discussion.
deano
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Team DFL-Cyclingnews-Litespeed Rosta 2007 Reply with quote

staff wrote:
Nico Mattan Bel
Hamish Haynes GB
Jens Mouris Nel
Matti Helmininen Fin
Evan Oliphant GB
Gert Vanderaerden Bel
Rhys Pollock Aus
Jeremy Vennell NZ
Cameron Jennings Aus
Daniel Lloyd GB
Sven de Weerdt Bel
Bernie Sulzberger Aus
Robbie Muel Bel
Bjorn Cornelison Nel
Kane Oakley Aus
David Harrigan Aus
Pablo Wilches Col
Daniel Fleeman GB

DS Eric Vanderaerden
ADS Daniel Willems

well looking at the team i would say there are a few guys who can win bike racers in belgium, actual classics maybe not, but 1.2's yes for sure, and knowing most of the guys in there they will work as hard as they can.
good luck to the boys and team.
thanks to Nick for showing me the light and letting me stay in the UK..
enjoy the haunted house boys.
Wink Wink
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stalwart wrote:
Alright Mho, I'm not Scottish, although I live there, and am certainly not tight! ......

Friends? Smile

Soz I sould know better than to assume as I get mistaken for a welshie. Of course were friends, we have just been having a lively debate. Which is what this place is for Laughing Laughing
Killer C
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Bjorn Cornelison an anagram?
peter post
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan is a perfect gentleman, yet hard with it. Also, his youth is one of his greatest assets inasmuch as he doesn't need to be constrained by convention and useless punditry.

Here's to you Evan and all like you.
JohnC
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

staff wrote:

Well said. I had the pleasure of visiting DFL; Like ourselves (in a much smaller way), it is a business that supports a bike team that ends up looking like a bike team with a part time business on the side.

At first it is about being there, helping riders that otherwise might not get the chance and any good results will be a bonus almost and give the greatest of pleasure to everyone.

It must have taken committment and great generosity with time and sponsorship for DFL to get this far. I hope that I can get to see them on Eurosport next year and will be rooting for them.
Vetman
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to buy a ticket before you can win the lottery (or even take part.) Many of these riders from Britain have had help from no federation cycling or otherwise (Dave Rayner Fund excepted). They got there on their own merits which is cool. If it all goes opps up, what the hell? At least there's a chance of playing with the big boys for once....unlike in the last two decades which has produced Zilch, on the road (excepting the great Nicol Cook.)
dockeca
Div 2 Pro

Location: halfway up the South Downs - or halfway down the South Ups!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a pity what started as a sensible discussion has descended into a slanging match by a few of the less gifted contributors.
DFL is a relatively new team and like all new teams has big ambitions. They have hired "names" as DS's to help with an entree into events, contracted a mix of riders, and are now about to start on another season. Doubtless there will be good and bad days, but the pointless criticism - none of it constructive - helps no-one.
If there is nothing positive to be said, best not to say it, unless you seriously want to hack off Nick Collins and/or Charlie Jackson and their like. Then perhaps you will have no teams to slag off - which will be yet another cause for moaning. Can we not just SUPPORT those with enough guts to put their heads over the parapet, for once, please?

"Any views expressed are entirely my own and not representative of any organisation of which I may or may not be a member. Unless I say otherwise."
"A Libertarian Crackpot" H.Peel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: