Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - BC Mission Statement

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

BC Mission Statement
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should BC have a mission statement?
YES
30%
 30%  [ 14 ]
NO
17%
 17%  [ 8 ]
Not bothered
52%
 52%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 46

Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: BC Mission Statement Reply with quote

BC doesn't have a mission statement. It may have something in the articles of association at Companies House, but there isn't anything obvious about what it does and for whom.

Mission statements help people understand what an organisation does, and can sometimes lead to a clearer structure as insiders come to realise it too.
We often say things like; 'It does exactly what it says on the tin' as a way of appreciating clarity and focus.

In the case of BC, some people think it's all about medals, while others just buy the insurance. Others like the events or club structure. More think it should support the sport as a leisure pursuit.

What would you like to see in its mission statement? Do you think it should have one?
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you asking this question?
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I want to know what people think about BC having a mission statement.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what purpose?
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop it KJ

I think BC should have one if they don't but it fairly obvious to me on a high level what it would consist of and look like.

Rich
stanno
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
For what purpose?

Answered in the original post!
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Hill wrote:
Stop it KJ

I think BC should have one if they don't but it fairly obvious to me on a high level what it would consist of and look like.

Rich

No. I won't stop it. There is an agenda here and I don't like it. Of course you may delete me if you like.
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your agenda for saying there is an agenda, KJ?

I just want to know what people think about BC having a mission statement.
Then, if they do want one, what do they want it to 'say on the tin'?
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can play with words as much as you like but it seems to me that you just want to discredit BC and I would like to know why. There is more to all this than the loss of facilities.
mosschops

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mission statements are a load of crap really. just an excuse for a PR company to earn £10,000 for putting together a collection of words which don't really make any sense.
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ - What makes you think I want to discredit BC? If you're referring to the Eastway debacle, I can tell you it would greatly assist to have BC fully in support of the mission statement issued by the users group: But that's another debate, really.

Mosschops - The point about mission statements is that they are a load of PR if they're written by PR's. If they're written by the people in the organisation, they do tend to stick because the thought that went into them came from the people responsible for fulfilling the mission.

Can we start again? Why would anyone be reluctant to say what it is that an organisation is there for?

Last edited by Plurien on Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom Butcher
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a start I think it should be focused on promoting participation in competitive cycling.
mosschops

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plurien wrote:
KJ - What makes you think I want to discredit BC? If you're referring to the Eastway debacle, I can tell you it would greatly assist to have BC fully in support of the mission statement issued by the users group: But that's another debate, really.

Mosschops - The point about mission statements is that they are a load of PR if they're written by PR's. If they're written by the people in the organisation, they do tend to stick because the thought that went into them came from the people responsible for fulfilling the mission.

Can we start again? Why would anyone be reluctant to say what it is that an organisation is there for?
for a start "mission statement" doesn't really make any sense.
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A statement like; "Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. " might seem trite and meaningless, but it's driven that organisation a long way and goes far deeper than the superficial.

And on the other hand; "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there."
mosschops

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plurien wrote:
A statement like; "Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. " might seem trite and meaningless, but it's driven that organisation a long way and goes far deeper than the superficial.

And on the other hand; "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there."
and not the fact that it is the best search engine which is designed by passionate people with a real commitment to their work and a drive to improve and develop new technologies? or would they just be fat wasters with no ideas if it wasn't for the hallowed mission statement.
mosschops

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/games/career/bin/ms.cgi

maybe bC could use that?
hunterbark
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scroll down the link for the way it was going 10 years ago, the current management have taken it from being a federation viewed as having some dubious practices, to a model which other sports are trying to base their governing bodies on. I think everybody can see your frustration, but this tells me they are doing something right.
Perhaps with increased lottery funding and sponsorship (achieved by getting these medals) the long range plan is working, we could have the old way, with a few pro's riding outwith the British media interest and only us knowing about them in the UK. Hopefully the increased media attention on the track squad will help the other areas of our sport, I really believe we'll have a ProTour level UK squad at the Tour in a few years time, with quality riders from this country. So media interest = funding + sponsorship from UK companies and government. This can only be good, look at what you could have had!
p.s. I am not a BC official, so I have no agenda other than seeing our sport progress.
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm199697/cmhansrd/vo961121/debtext/61121-22.htm
Zeco2
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunterbark wrote:

p.s. I am not a BC official, so I have no agenda other than seeing our sport progress.

Confused
hunterbark
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeco2 wrote:
hunterbark wrote:

Confused

Are you trying to imply that I have a secret agenda?
Trevor Reade
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3. The BCF’s objects are :
(a) to encourage, promote, develop and control the sport and pastime of cycling in all its forms amongst all sections of the community in Great Britain, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands;
(b) to support and protect the interests of their members, by all such lawful means as the National Council of the BCF may from time to time think fit;
(c) to represent in the Congress of the Union Cycliste Internationale the BCF and cycling associations of such members of Commonwealth Associations as are not directly affiliated to that organisation and
(d) to issue licences for the purposes of international cycle racing to BCF Members and the individual members of Commonwealth Associations.

Not quite a mission statement but a pretty clear set of objectives.

I fully expect several pages of postings about Eastway to follow now...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: