Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Should we have a seperate area for EUG discussions?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Should we have a seperate area for EUG discussions?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Seperate area for EUG nonsense?
Yes please
72%
 72%  [ 21 ]
Go on then!
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Good idea Tucker
24%
 24%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 29

Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Should we have a seperate area for EUG discussions? Reply with quote

I say - Im bored of this crap being there all the time. Veloriders is somewhere most of us go for a bit of lighthearted banter, and its getting filled with the most tedious pedantry imaginable. I know we dont have to read it, but it just being there bothers me.

Whichever mod deletes this, no need to pm me - I understand. Rolling Eyes
Gary K
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my other post. They should build thier own website and list day by day progress on what they have achieved on there, not what has not, allegedly, been not achieved by someone else!
George Gilbert
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary K wrote:
See my other post. They should build thier own website and list day by day progress on what they have achieved on there, not what has not, allegedly, been not achieved by someone else!

Indeed - sadly however this has been suggested before and met with a resounding silence from the EUG (e.g. see http://www.veloriders.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=53453 ). Given past experience, it is somewhat naive to expect a sensible response to such a sensible suggestion...

...oh well. As I've said before, if the EUG can't see when people are trying to help them, so be it. Rolling Eyes
dockeca
Div 2 Pro

Location: halfway up the South Downs - or halfway down the South Ups!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should we simply have a thread - for the opinions of those who are not bothered about Eastway legacy? It's gone, Hog Hill exists, loads of misinformation is posted, generally it's a bit of a bore now, although at first interesting. It's all got political, and the mud slinging is tedious. Can we get back to discussing bike racing at some point?
Reading between the lines, you could assume that EUG are sorry we ever got the Olympics, and want BC to represent them (by saying exectly what they want) although they say that 90% (???) of old Eastway activity was not BC based.
And then EUG seem to believe that BC "own" the circuit, which they patently don't. In essence, the local borough could have closed Eastway at any point - probably using some spurious "health and safety" reason.
the situation exists, can we just stop endlessly discussing the same points?

"Any views expressed are entirely my own and not representative of any organisation of which I may or may not be a member. Unless I say otherwise."
"A Libertarian Crackpot" H.Peel
Mr Switcher
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also the kind of chap who would rather while away his days in light-hearted banter. But the people at the EUG are a different breed to you and I. These are the kind of guys that in an earlier incarnation got road racing up and running in this country when the Cycling authorities banned it. They get things done. They can take all the space they need in my opinion. Good luck to them.
Ingatestonian
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dockeca wrote:
Should we simply have a thread - for the opinions of those who are not bothered about Eastway legacy? It's gone, Hog Hill exists, loads of misinformation is posted, generally it's a bit of a bore now, although at first interesting.

Well, you talk of misinformation... but Hog Hill very much does not exist at present - or at least it only exists as farmer's fields.

dockeca wrote:
And then EUG seem to believe that BC "own" the circuit, which they patently don't. In essence, the local borough could have closed Eastway at any point - probably using some spurious "health and safety" reason.

Ditto... the local borough could not have closed Eastway, because it wasn't owned or run by the local council. That's one of the key differences between Eastway and Hog Hill - Hog Hill is far more at risk from closure in that way, as Hog Hill will be owned by the local council.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The irony - a thread suggesting the creation of a seperate area for EUG debate has become overrun with... EUG debate. Thank you for emboldening, underlining and capitalising my point for me. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tucker...how about some fun threads . You start one. We'll join in. Very Happy Very Happy
ldncycle
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there hasn't been a thread about cycling weekly for a while now.
Tom Butcher
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Switcher has it right - I've got a lot of sympathy for the EUG people - all they are doing is fighting for local facilities. From a distance it does seem that the people who spend most of their time criticising them live nowhere near Eastway.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Butcher wrote:
Mr Switcher has it right - I've got a lot of sympathy for the EUG people - all they are doing is fighting for local facilities. From a distance it does seem that the people who spend most of their time criticising them live nowhere near Eastway.

It's the manner in which they're fighting their cause which has come in for criticism not the cause itself. If you read the threads carefully you'll see that the criticism is predominantly constructive!
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Switcher wrote:
I am also the kind of chap who would rather while away his days in light-hearted banter. But the people at the EUG are a different breed to you and I. These are the kind of guys that in an earlier incarnation got road racing up and running in this country when the Cycling authorities banned it. They get things done. They can take all the space they need in my opinion. Good luck to them.

And by posting so much stuff on VR that the vast majority have become apathetic about the whole debate the EUG has achieved what, exactly?

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
stanno
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason Plurien posts updates here is presumably because the situation develops on a weekly basis (and gets progressively worse for the former Eastway users). I would have thought that cyclists nationwide would be concerned about what's happening to fellow cyclists at Eastway in the name of the Olympics, and judging by many of the more rational posts here, many are (including some of the the mods). How would you feel if your cycle facility was closed?

To the vociferous few who don't want to follow this, how about not clicking the few threads that contain Eastway news - they are all clearly labeled!
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stanno wrote:
The reason Plurien posts updates here is presumably because the situation develops on a weekly basis (and gets progressively worse for the former Eastway users). I would have thought that cyclists nationwide would be concerned about what's happening to fellow cyclists at Eastway in the name of the Olympics, and judging by many of the more rational posts here, many are (including some of the the mods). How would you feel if your cycle facility was closed?

To the vociferous few who don't want to follow this, how about not clicking the few threads that contain Eastway news - they are all clearly labeled!

How did you feel when our cycling facility was closed, twice! ?
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stanno wrote:

I want to follow it, but find it extremely difficult due to huge volume of stuff posted daily.

Ingatestonian
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
How did you feel when our cycling facility was closed, twice!?

Dunno... did London cyclists on VR tell you to go away, shut up, and get over it?

Did you campaign against the closures, like the EUG is doing?
stretch armstrong
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
stanno wrote:

I want to follow it, but find it extremely difficult due to huge volume of stuff posted daily.

from the man with 13681 posts Shocked face it mate it will take the eug to 2012 to catch up with you !

Putting the dross back in Clay Cross (RT)
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stretch armstrong wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
stanno wrote:

from the man with 13681 posts Shocked face it mate it will take the eug to 2012 to catch up with you !

Not on a word count it won't. Wink

George Gilbert
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
stanno wrote:
The reason Plurien posts updates here is presumably because the situation develops on a weekly basis (and gets progressively worse for the former Eastway users). I would have thought that cyclists nationwide would be concerned about what's happening to fellow cyclists at Eastway in the name of the Olympics, and judging by many of the more rational posts here, many are (including some of the the mods).

I think this is the whole point.

I certainly would be very interested to know what everybody is doing and would love to read about it, get involved and do what I can to help improve the situation......however, I'm completely put off by the constant sniping and misinformation that's posted by the EUG. I'm sure, on this if nothing else, I speak the thoughts of many people here.

As I've said before, and will again (in the vain hope that the EUG will take notice), if they restricted their posts to just new information about what *they* have done (as opposed to rants about what others have not), they might find that more people would be willing to help them.

For starters, how about someone giving a summary (100 words max - treat it as an exercise in sticking to the point!) of the situation so far? My understanding (based soley on the posts that the EUG have made here, but cutting through all the spin) is that:

Facts:
- 1) Eastway was destroyed to make way for the Olympics.
- 2) After the Olympics a new Eastway would replace the old one.
- 3) To cover the *whole* interim period BC made Ramney Marsh available.
- 4) The EUG campaigned for Hog Hill instead, which means this year they now have nothing.

Speculation:
- 5) The ODA believes, partly because Hog Hill will be so good, cycling facilities have improved even without a large "new Eastway".
- 6) Under pressure from third parties (specifically not anything to do with cycling - e.g. goverment, budget limitations, other sports etc), because of point (5), plans for the "new Eastway" have been scaled back.

There's my 100 words - does that give a good summary, or would someone else care to give a more accurate version if I've misunderstood?
DNAse
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Gilbert wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
stanno wrote:
The reason Plurien posts updates here is presumably because the situation develops on a weekly basis (and gets progressively worse for the former Eastway users). I would have thought that cyclists nationwide would be concerned about what's happening to fellow cyclists at Eastway in the name of the Olympics, and judging by many of the more rational posts here, many are (including some of the the mods).

I think this is the whole point.

I certainly would be very interested to know what everybody is doing and would love to read about it, get involved and do what I can to help improve the situation......however, I'm completely put off by the constant sniping and misinformation that's posted by the EUG. I'm sure, on this if nothing else, I speak the thoughts of many people here.

As I've said before, and will again (in the vain hope that the EUG will take notice), if they restricted their posts to just new information about what *they* have done (as opposed to rants about what others have not), they might find that more people would be willing to help them.

For starters, how about someone giving a summary (100 words max - treat it as an exercise in sticking to the point!) of the situation so far? My understanding (based soley on the posts that the EUG have made here, but cutting through all the spin) is that:

Facts:
- 1) Eastway was destroyed to make way for the Olympics.
- 2) After the Olympics a new Eastway would replace the old one.
- 3) To cover the *whole* interim period BC made Ramney Marsh available.
- 4) The EUG campaigned for Hog Hill instead, which means this year they now have nothing.

Speculation:
- 5) The ODA believes, partly because Hog Hill will be so good, cycling facilities have improved even without a large "new Eastway".
- 6) Under pressure from third parties (specifically not anything to do with cycling - e.g. goverment, budget limitations, other sports etc), because of point (5), plans for the "new Eastway" have been scaled back.

There's my 100 words - does that give a good summary, or would someone else care to give a more accurate version if I've misunderstood?

Can we know for sure that if everyone had been in favour of Ramney it would be ready now?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: