Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Should the EUG have a website?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Should the EUG have a website?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the EUG have a website
Yes
85%
 85%  [ 23 ]
No
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 27

JohnC
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I await anything you do for the cause with bated breath.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnC wrote:

So the only people that are allowed opinions are those that are actively doing things for the Eastway Legacy?

What are doing here then?

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnC wrote:
It's been a long day, I do a lot for cycling

... but you don't like to talk about it, do you hero? Grow up, shut up, work with BC, move on, or find another sport to be a hero in.

I'm a qualified coach.
chrisd
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why has my post been deleted? Confused

http://www.alternativesanctuary.co.uk
JohnC
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
JohnC wrote:

So the only people that are allowed opinions are those that are actively doing things for the Eastway Legacy?

Sorry if I am mistaken Billy Boy, but I thought that you were amongst the "I'd help but the EUG are awful" fraternity?

Perhaps you don't think this way, but it's an attitude that doesn't really wash.
George Gilbert
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The longer this saga goes on, the more I'm reminded of the similarity between the EUG and the Bush Administration's foreign policy.

- Believes that heavy handed tactics work better than quiet diplomacy.
- Convinced that what ever they decide is the best solution.
- Sure that everyone who isn't for them is against them.
- Have a seige mentality; paranoid that everyone is out to get them.
- Seeks to undermine anyone who questions them.
- Ignores any advice given, and just does what they wanted to do in the first place.

...and that the rest of the world can see that, whilst their stated intentions might be worthy, they are utterly misguided in their actions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the sake of the possibility of getting better facilities at Eastway. Please, step back and take an objective look at what your posts here are doing. There are many people here who are genuinely trying to help; step out of your bubble and listen to what is being said - we are not against your aims; we are trying to help you achieve them.
ldncycle
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George - who you talking about? EUG or BC? :)
Probably applies to everyone.

give it a rest people?
dockeca
Div 2 Pro

Location: halfway up the South Downs - or halfway down the South Ups!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plurien spins 9does it quite well), but the good bits of his work are being undone by the JohnC postings. A single spokeperson would be best, and then the antagonism may stop. the EUG=good, BC=bad stuff plianly does not work. Statement "we are the people who do cycle sport in London", may not sit well with organisers at Hillingdon, Crystal palace, Surrey league, and plenty of others. If you claim to represent London organisers, sign them up or retract.

"Any views expressed are entirely my own and not representative of any organisation of which I may or may not be a member. Unless I say otherwise."
"A Libertarian Crackpot" H.Peel
JohnC
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen - don't you worry about John C. I have read the Dock/dishes/george postings and come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what one explains you will come back with same tone and limited content.

I just don't think you matter much in the great scheme of things, so have cast off some restraint. So what - look at my posts over the past year or so - I could have said a lot before.

have a good day.

JC
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnC wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
JohnC wrote:

Sorry if I am mistaken Billy Boy, but I thought that you were amongst the "I'd help but the EUG are awful" fraternity?

Perhaps you don't think this way, but it's an attitude that doesn't really wash.

You are mistaken. What help can be given though? I can't see any evidence of any of the advice and suggestions given on here being even considered, just batted back with some comment about BC thrown in for good measure.

What is EUG trying to achieve on here?

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
JohnC
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
JohnC wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
JohnC wrote:

You are mistaken. What help can be given though? I can't see any evidence of any of the advice and suggestions given on here being even considered, just batted back with some comment about BC thrown in for good measure.

What is EUG trying to achieve on here?

Good question. Originally it was publicity for problem (pre-Rammey Marsh) - then there was debate/ argument including Brian which gave it more edge - now perhaps general frustration from both sides of the fence - I'm sure we'd all like each other if we met.
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is to be achieved on here

JohnC wrote:
Good question. Originally it was publicity for problem (pre-Rammey Marsh) - then there was debate/ argument including Brian which gave it more edge - now perhaps general frustration from both sides of the fence - I'm sure we'd all like each other if we met.

Well by a margin of 12 to 1 we thing the EUG needs a website to improve its communication. That would definitley reduce frustration. Laughing
ldncycle
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by a resounding margin!

Any volunteers? Smile
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to those who think that heavy-handedness is not helpful, I'd agree with you, but....

I've not long come back from a meeting which had been arranged for me by Tony Woodcock with the ODA's planning decisions team - they're the ones that are independent of the ODA. Of course I'd forgotten all about it until someone who went in yesterday called to tip me off on a couple of things.

The idea of the meeting was a 'timetabled drop-in' to meet with a planning officer and to go through aspects of the application with someone as a guiding hand on areas where objections could be usefully made or points clarified.
So it's a one on one. No Tony - it's sunny and he's out on a ride, swine!

-Nope, there are two ODA people and two of their planners, plus the planning officer. They want to make the meeting a full-on 'now then EUG, what's the issues you've got with our plans?' type of thing.
Away goes the pad and out comes a load of notes which fotunately I had with me.

And you think EUG is heavy-handed?!

I did come away with some more detail and some more possibilities.
They left, they said, with a very clear picture of our issues and some points to really start thinking about.

5pm and the director of external relations for the ODA's on the voicemail again, wanting to make proper meetings and smooth things over. - EUG members will know what I mean.

This is the way it's going to be done. It's the only one which will work and don't forget the fine words about relocation, interim and legacy so far add up to a bunch of facilities which EUG found for events - Dunton, Hainault - and a set of existing facilities which all have been happy to throw London's taxpayers' money at. No relocation - no contractor, no work on the site, no lease actually signed etc etc
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess that's case proven for the EUG since I note KJs been on since I posted the above and she hasn't posted against.

You really have to sit and wonder if there is any different way in which the campaign had to;-
1 - be a campaign in order to
2 - escalate to higher authority to make any progress
3 - oppose the tactics being employed since day 1, 2003
4 - watch every move made by the developer
5 - which always began with 'prejudicial' from its partners
6 - always retrieve the situation of a quasi-agreement already made by the partners to support the developer
7 - secure the right to consultation
8 - assert the legitimate right to openness and public accountablity in favour of the community doing cycle sport in Inner E London
9 - Redress the focus of planning effort onto the needs of the community
10 - Proceed with a finally agreed formula and plan for schemes which meet the needs of the community
11- Continue to ensure the schemes are actually delivered

I'll leave it to VRers to wonder where the list goes from there. I'm off to Hillingdon now, which will be a delightful journey with the cup final on at Wembley.
stanno
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree. Sometimes when things go badly wrong for an interest that you care deeply about, and those that are supposed to represent your interests don't appear to be doing so, you have to do what's necessary to get your case over.

I see this latest development as a vindication for the EUG campaign, so often belittled by a few at VR (for whatever reason - I can't really imagine why). Let's all hope for a positive outcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: