Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Cycling Weekly Set New Standards!

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Cycling Weekly Set New Standards!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should CW continue to put themselves on the front cover or start putting our stars up there?
Lame CW Staffers
12%
 12%  [ 7 ]
The stars of British and World cycling
87%
 87%  [ 51 ]
Total Votes : 58

DNAse
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in James Cracknell's take on cycling vs rowing but I can't be @rsed to wander down to WH Smiths perhaps someone could let me know if it's worth reading. Smile

It seems to me like CW is going the same way as the men's monthly's/weekly. The publishers don't rely on regular subscribers (hence articles are often recycled) instead they go more for spur-of-the-moment purchases from people who might see their favourite bike featured.
German
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Gilbert wrote:
R6Stew wrote:
The idiots running CW don't seem to realise that for cycling to survive as a sport sponsors need to see their name on the front not on page 5.

I think that this is where the misunderstanding lies. CW isn't run for the benefit of cycling, it's a business, it's being run to make money for the publishers.

Whilst we here on VR might be only interested in racing, we don't make up the bulk of their readership (and, judging by the number of posts people make saying they're cancelling their subscriptions, the proportion is dropping all the time). It's no more worth complaining that there's no coverage of racing cycling in CW than it is complaining that there's no coverage of racing cycling in knitting weekly - it doesn't interest their core readership, so what's in it for them to take space up that could be otherwise used to generate more money?

CW can't compete with the likes of cyclingnews (or, dare I say it, VR) in terms of getting information to the punters, so why bother trying.

Ho hum - isn't capitalism and the free market economy great... Rolling Eyes

pros on the frontpage of cw = happy sponsors = more money in cycling = rises profile of cycling = more people get into cycling = more people likely to buy cw

cant be more complicated than that!!!
Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard wrote:
The journos on the payroll also produce Cycle Sport which I do still subscribe to because it covers the pro scene the way I would like to read about it. I stopped my subs 2 years ago for CW and haven't missed it one bit
Cycle sport has started doing stories about their staffers on jollies too. If it continues, then my subscription (11 years now) will be cancelled. I have not bought CW since I was at uni and had nothing else to fill my time Wink
Des

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cycling Weekly Set New Standards! Reply with quote

Richard wrote:
R6Stew wrote:
How totally cr4p are CW getting. This week Cav has won 2 stages of Dunkirk, Hoy takes over a second of the 500m world record and whats the front cover?

A pair a lame ponces who I'm not the least bit interested in.

I'm cancelling my subscription it's gone too far!

they have consistently NOT made a big front cover picture of the following:

Hunt winning GP MArsellaise
Millar winning P-R prologue and wearing leader's jersey
Cavendish's wins
Wiggins' World Champs and Dunkirk prologue win
Track Champs win

Now they have made (from what I've been told) a big deal of this on the inside, but they never give the main cover picture to the stars yet they are apparently proclaiming that we Brits are doing so well. So why don't they promote them then?
Surely a national weekly magazine should be promoting the Great British stars?

And yes I am now logged onto the CW forum and have asked these questions yet have received no feedback from any staff member explaining why this is the case.

Couldn't find your post Rich, looks like they may have been pulled. Sensitive souls as CW can't take Criticism.
George Gilbert
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

German wrote:
pros on the frontpage of cw = happy sponsors = more money in cycling = rises profile of cycling = more people get into cycling = more people likely to buy cw

cant be more complicated than that!!!

Hmmm - there's a big time lag between the two and it's completely out of their control because of the intangible correlation between a happy sponsor and more money being put into cycling. Sure, we know that one leads to the other, but how much? Does an extra 6.3 happiness points equate to an extra million in the pot? Equally does an extra million in the pot mean 1, 10 or 100 extra cyclists in the UK? How long would it take? Who knows?

The equation:

numpty on the cover = more people buy cw

Is completely under their control, and has an immediate and measurable effect. As the owner of a business trying to stay afloat, I'd go for the simple version that gave me an immediate cash benefit every time.

Michael Douglas has alot to answer for Wink
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cycling Weekly Set New Standards! Reply with quote

Des wrote:
Couldn't find your post Rich, looks like they may have been pulled. Sensitive souls as CW can't take Criticism.

no they're in there still - registered under a different user name to see if I'd get a response but as yet no
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cycling Weekly Set New Standards! Reply with quote

Richard wrote:
Des wrote:

no they're in there still - registered under a different user name to see if I'd get a response but as yet no

The CW forum is moribund Sad Very Happy
Howard Peel
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Gilbert wrote:
Ho hum - isn't capitalism and the free market economy great... :roll:

Except that - apart from when it is applied to areas such as the jobs market- the so-called 'free market' isn't free at all, with business's expecting state-support in numerous forms left right and centre. Well, as soon as they are powerful enough to pressurise the state that is. Noam Chomsky's lecture 'Free Market Fantasies: Capitalism in the Free World' available all over the web for free gives a good analysis of this.

Anyhow, with regards CW, it allegedly helped to bring about the failure of 'Cycling News' as was discussed on another thread recently, and I guess as a profit-centred business it might well not exactly encourage the emergence of any new racing-focused publication which took away even a part of it's readership. Consequently launching a rival magazine more in line with CW of old would probably be very hard to do, even if there was a market big enough to support it.
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard Peel wrote:
[Consequently launching a rival magazine more in line with CW of old would probably be very hard to do, even if there was a market big enough to support it.

there isn't in the age of the internet - CW do well to get around 30-32,000 readers for a weekly magazine.
my needs are much better served via internet sites these days
R6Stew
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but it's not quite the same is it. Taking your laptop to the b0g, it burns my legs after a while Laughing
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R6Stew wrote:
Yeah, but it's not quite the same is it. Taking your laptop to the b0g, it burns my legs after a while Laughing

disturbing image pops into head of R6Stew resting his laptop on his lap in the kazi and finding "sites of interest"
hed
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R6Stew wrote:

i thought only rich w****d over hincapie.
David Perry
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R6Stew wrote:

What you saying its more difficult to wipe your ar$e with the lap top then CW
Howard Peel
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard wrote:
Howard Peel wrote:
[Consequently launching a rival magazine more in line with CW of old would probably be very hard to do, even if there was a market big enough to support it.

there isn't in the age of the internet - CW do well to get around 30-32,000 readers for a weekly magazine. my needs are much better served via internet sites these days

Quite so, especially with regards race results, but perhaps it would be feasible for an internet magazine to be established with more emphasis on journalism than simple race reporting. I know that the Rapha's site has run some excellent features ( see http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=86 ) and there are commuter-orientated virtual cycling magazines with a lot of editorial (for example see http://www.citycycling.co.uk/ ). I wonder if a similar racing-orientated magazine could be set up, perhaps inviting contributions from anyone who can write a bit and would like to see their name in (virtual) print? As I argued in a previous thread, where I posted that 7,000 word feature by Keith Bingham on the 1977 Ghent Six, there are few outlets for proper cycling journalism these days, which is a great loss.
R6Stew
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too right and even when I am searching for sites of interest I wouldn't hang around on the CW site!

Have you seen Leontine van Morsel - Now thats a site worth searching for!

Laughing
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hed wrote:
R6Stew wrote:

we are a growing majority
hed
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard wrote:
hed wrote:
R6Stew wrote:

we are a growing majority

oh dear me
R6Stew
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this from a man who signs his emails

"Lycra til I die" Surprised

I want to know who should be worried about who? Confused
Sir Toby Belch
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Gilbert wrote:
R6Stew wrote:
The idiots running CW don't seem to realise that for cycling to survive as a sport sponsors need to see their name on the front not on page 5.

I think that this is where the misunderstanding lies. CW isn't run for the benefit of cycling, it's a business, it's being run to make money for the publishers.

Whilst we here on VR might be only interested in racing, we don't make up the bulk of their readership (and, judging by the number of posts people make saying they're cancelling their subscriptions, the proportion is dropping all the time). It's no more worth complaining that there's no coverage of racing cycling in CW than it is complaining that there's no coverage of racing cycling in knitting weekly - it doesn't interest their core readership, so what's in it for them to take space up that could be otherwise used to generate more money?

CW can't compete with the likes of cyclingnews (or, dare I say it, VR) in terms of getting information to the punters, so why bother trying.

Ho hum - isn't capitalism and the free market economy great... Rolling Eyes

In which case it should be renamed 'Lifestyle on 2 Wheels Weekly'
wirralwheeler
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to think that my finger is on the pulse as far as the sport side of cycling goes, but I've never heard of the kiwi on the inside back cover who was granted a full page, Am i the only one???

Never sacrifice style for speed!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: