Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Cycling Weekly Set New Standards!

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Cycling Weekly Set New Standards!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should CW continue to put themselves on the front cover or start putting our stars up there?
Lame CW Staffers
12%
 12%  [ 7 ]
The stars of British and World cycling
87%
 87%  [ 51 ]
Total Votes : 58

racyrich2
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Gilbert wrote:
German wrote:
pros on the frontpage of cw = happy sponsors = more money in cycling = rises profile of cycling = more people get into cycling = more people likely to buy cw

cant be more complicated than that!!!

The equation:

numpty on the cover = more people buy cw

Is completely under their control, and has an immediate and measurable effect. As the owner of a business trying to stay afloat, I'd go for the simple version that gave me an immediate cash benefit every time.

Michael Douglas has alot to answer for Wink

Strange how only 2 years ago Lance Armstrong on the cover was worth many thousand extra sales. Was LA really that influential?
I'd like to know if sales have fallen since the LA days. If not, it makes the sportif posers as inspiring as LA. There's a thought!
Adam
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two guys on the front cover are the bike testers for that issue, I guess it's a question of whether publicising what you have to sell in the magazine or publicise what has gone on in cycling.

I don't think people read too much into the features of the magazine, so it would be better to have a 'Victory Shot' of someone in the Giro as the picture itself will sell the magazine. As oppose to the testers riding bikes linking in with the Sportive bike test feature, people just won't make that link.

http://twitter.com/adamtranter
George Gilbert
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racyrich2 wrote:
Strange how only 2 years ago Lance Armstrong on the cover was worth many thousand extra sales. Was LA really that influential?
I'd like to know if sales have fallen since the LA days. If not, it makes the sportif posers as inspiring as LA. There's a thought!

Circulation figures are publicly available on the web...

Cycling Weekly:
2006 - 28 137
2005 - 26 257
2004 - 26 429
2003 - 27 034
2002 - 28 204
2001 - 30 657

Cycling Plus:
2006 - 28 737
2005 - 28 564
2004 - 25 980
2003 - 23 338
2002 - 21 839
2001 - 18 618
George Gilbert
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Gilbert wrote:
racyrich2 wrote:

Cycling Weekly:
2006 - 28 137
2005 - 26 257
2004 - 26 429
2003 - 27 034
2002 - 28 204
2001 - 30 657

Cycling Plus:
2006 - 28 737
2005 - 28 564
2004 - 25 980
2003 - 23 338
2002 - 21 839
2001 - 18 618

For comparison, Mountain Biking UK has circulation figures around the 45 000 mark. CW would probably argue that they've managed to stem their slow decline precisely by switching focus away from racing towards the weekend sportif riders in the last year or two.

The leisure market is where it's at (in terms of buying magazines anyway).
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Shakespeare not on the front cover this week?

I'm a qualified coach.
metroid
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wirralwheeler wrote:
I like to think that my finger is on the pulse as far as the sport side of cycling goes, but I've never heard of the kiwi on the inside back cover who was granted a full page, Am i the only one???
my girlfriend says she's heard of him.
Richard Lodge
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Gilbert wrote:
George Gilbert wrote:
racyrich2 wrote:

Cycling Weekly:
2006 - 28 137
2005 - 26 257
2004 - 26 429
2003 - 27 034
2002 - 28 204
2001 - 30 657

Cycling Plus:
2006 - 28 737
2005 - 28 564
2004 - 25 980
2003 - 23 338
2002 - 21 839
2001 - 18 618

For comparison, Mountain Biking UK has circulation figures around the 45 000 mark. CW would probably argue that they've managed to stem their slow decline precisely by switching focus away from racing towards the weekend sportif riders in the last year or two.

The leisure market is where it's at (in terms of buying magazines anyway).

I see that Cycling Plus is in the market for a new editor.
http://www.journalism.co.uk/jobs/3434

Maybe CW have poached the previous editor ................
Ventoux
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should put a Brit winning a race in France on the cover. Very Happy

Craig
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually bought two copies this week. One on subscription but I was catching the train home tonight so bought one to read on the journey home as I enjoy my Thursday read so much. Thought it was good again and that they gave good all round coverage to a variety of things. Who cares what is on the cover - they have given really good coverage to loads of things recently and they need to put on the cover photos that get your average punter to buy the mag.
Tony Bell
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's Hutch doing? Serious question. I haven't seen CW since I spat me dummy out, so I don't know what's occuring. Smile
R6Stew
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's about as entertaining as watching the Mersey Roads 24!
one man army
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megman wrote:
Cycle sport has started doing stories about their *CENSORED* on jollies too.

I stopped buying Cycle Sport when they done that terrible '*CENSORED* free' wristband b@ll@cks but I had a flick through this months in the newsagent and read an account of a trip to watch the Tour of Flanders by bicycle.

Basically, it comprised of a blow-by-blow account of a compete f@ ck up of the highest order by a bunch of idiots who thought they knew better than the thousands of Belgiums who end up viewing the race a whole lot better.

Thank you cycle sport journos but where can I get those 3-4 minutes of my life back? I'm just glad I didn't stump up any cash to read it... Rolling Eyes

R6Stew
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair do's, I actually think most of the reporting and articles are interesting and well written. When I started this thread it was to question the mentality of putting a couple of nobody's on the front cover. It inspires exactly nobody. If they think that sportifs are the future you see what happens in a few years when all sportifs are run under the Audax banner.

We'll have have beards and long socks!
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with beards?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2002/sep02/worldtrack/?id=mike3/IMG_8154
Ventoux
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R6Stew wrote:
Fair do's, I actually think most of the reporting and articles are interesting and well written. When I started this thread it was to question the mentality of putting a couple of nobody's on the front cover. It inspires exactly nobody. If they think that sportifs are the future you see what happens in a few years when all sportifs are run under the Audax banner.
We'll have have beards and long socks!

Sorry but I think that that is rubbish. Sportives were my gateway to road racing. I have 4 other friends who have done the same.

Personally I can't think of a better way to get hundreds of people out on roadbikes at weekends having the craic in a semi competative way.
If this leads on to full on competition surely that is a good thing.
Or are the "wrong type of people" jumping on the sportive bandwaggon?

Craig
R6Stew
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't knocking sportifs at all, I rode Flanders this year, and I'm glad they provided you and others a route into racing.

But the future of cycling is youth not 20/30 and 40 somethings and lets face it the avaerage age of the sportif rider is closer to 40 than 15. Yes they boost the racing scene and it's great for the grass roots, and like I said I find most of whats in CW intersting and well written.

So take a chill *CENSORED* and don't be so sensitive, I was just 'avin a larf'. Laughing

BTW the guy in yellow on the front cover of CW has a beard, so I MUST be right Wink
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

De Rosa wrote:
they need to put on the cover photos that get your average punter to buy the mag.

so you're happy (as a corporate sponsor of Chris Hoy's record breaking attempt) that he was given ZERO publicity picture wise on the front cover of the mag?
You're happy that all the brits previously mentioned who've won races this year have been shunted to one side/corner of the front cover to make way for CW staffers to take the main shot?
You're happy that with your involvement in the ODP, you are are glad to see a thumbsized shot of it's best graduate to date - Cavendish - on the front cover in preference to a bike tester?

British blokes AND girls (I'm sorry I forgot Nicole Cooke kicking a$$) are NOT being given wonderful cover shots week after week after week when for the first time in years we're winning road races on the continent, leading the World Cup (Cooke) and winning mutliple world track champs.

De Rosa, you've championed a lot of youngsters in the past and have done a lot to give some of the above mentioned a helping hand, be it the International RR you organised or sponsorship from your company (DHL spirnt school,flying Hoy's stuff out.,etc), yet you don't see these riders on the front cover for WINNING bike races?
How does that make you feel?
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't quite understand why people give a toss to be honest. it's only a magazine. I very rarely buy it cos it's very rarely any good, but that's not a problem.

Times change, the comic ain't what it used to be, but why are people so attached to it?

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comfort blanket. Innit? Very Happy
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
I don't quite understand why people give a toss to be honest. it's only a magazine. I very rarely buy it cos it's very rarely any good, but that's not a problem.

Times change, the comic ain't what it used to be, but why are people so attached to it?

Yeah, that's the problem. I was attached to it, it was relevant and now it isn't, it's just full of bike reviews of bikes I would never touch, and pages and pages of drivel by staffers telling us how good they think they are. It has disappointed me so many times I just can't face buying it any more.
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: