Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Duffer's kangaroo court

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Duffer's kangaroo court
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

duffer's kangaroo court
duffer's in?
25%
 25%  [ 21 ]
duffer's out?
74%
 74%  [ 60 ]
Total Votes : 81

karlos
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Duffer's kangaroo court Reply with quote

ok folks, its time to cast your vote on the future of eurosports ageing commentator? have you also (too as well) had enough of this sherbet lemon sucking nincompoop? or is he the best thing since sliced bread? also, did anyone notice that yesterday (monday) he hadn't a clue who'd won the bunch sprint and he thought the mountains points graphic was a graphic of the french riders including that well known french rider wim van huffel. heaven help us! (maybe mr tom could put in a good word)
Dastardly
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Duffer's kangaroo court Reply with quote

karlos wrote:
ok folks, its time to cast your vote on the future of eurosports ageing commentator? have you also (too as well) had enough of this sherbet lemon sucking nincompoop? or is he the best thing since sliced bread? also, did anyone notice that yesterday (monday) he hadn't a clue who'd won the bunch sprint and he thought the mountains points graphic was a graphic of the french riders including that well known french rider wim van huffel. heaven help us! (maybe mr tom could put in a good word)

Are you going to feed the results to ES? He has to go in my view, he is ruining my enjoyment of the racing - I am a huge fan of pro cycling and keep my sky subscription for this alone but turn the sound off when he's commentating. DH is superb on the other hand.
May I present to you, the greatest breakthrough in travel since Sir Rodney Tricycle thought to himself, 'I'm bored of walking, i think i'll invent something with three wheels and a bell, and name it after myself.'
:The time machine.
karlos
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree whole heartedly but surely ES must be able to find someone with a bit more current knowledge and general wherewithal to do as good a job as DH does....i see that cycling.tv have brought brian smith in to help out mc'crossan (i'm sure he's a nice man but he ain't a good commentator in my opinion) and that just about makes it bearable.
benlane
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffers was annoying in the prologue when he kept saying "says he tapping the side of his nose" when he was trying to impart knowledge.

Harmon should do all the races, he and Kelly are a fine act.
Helen Di Ilium
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're being very unfair to Mr Duffield. Commentating on cycling is very, very difficult Twisted Evil . It's like I said to my late husband as I changed the battery in his pacemaker, if you think you can do any better why don't you do it Wink .
karlos
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, yeh i forgot that one...his explanation as to why liquigas were moving en masse to the front of the group 'to launch magnus backsted in the last few kilometres' was priceless
karlos
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen Di Ilium wrote:
I think you're being very unfair to Mr Duffield. Commentating on cycling is very, very difficult Twisted Evil . It's like I said to my late husband as I changed the battery in his pacemaker, if you think you can do any better why don't you do it Wink .

i'm sure that commentating is difficult, but its his job for g0ds sake...if i was cr@p at my job i'd lose it, end of story...surely a prerequisite for the job is to be able to recognise more than just a few 'superstar' riders and to understand todays race tactics. listen to dave harman and you'll get the picture...chalk and cheese (upon which duffman could talk for hours but sadly not on the cycling of today...)
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imho, a job being difficult is no excuse for doing it badly. you don't see pro teams employing riders that can do 28 minute 10's and then defending them with 'well he came last but let's be fair, cycling is very difficult'... Rolling Eyes Wink
wirralwheeler
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody on VR know the old Dufffer???? If they do would you do us cycle racing fans a big favour and tell him his time is up, or point him in the direction of this august electronic journal where he can read for himself, that the majority of fans dont want him spoiling what little bit of cycling we do get, David.Duffield OUT OUT OUT

Never sacrifice style for speed!!
Dan Souf
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I think he is not as sharp as he used to be, I think we are all intelligent to know what is going on in the race. He can be infuriating, yes, but I don't think we should be putting thoughts into ES's head. I say let the Duffer stay, maybe team him up with someone who can bring out the best aspects of his commentary, and will take over when things go unnoticed.
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlos wrote:
haha, yeh i forgot that one...his explanation as to why liquigas were moving en masse to the front of the group 'to launch magnus backsted in the last few kilometres' was priceless

Magnus has been the best commentator I have heard on Eurosport. Maybe they are waiting for him to hang up his wheels and then pass poor old Duffers phlegm splattered microphone over to the young pretender? Smile
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
tommo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he does a great job and is very entertaining ..lighten up you bunch of blood sucking whinging loosers F * S Wink
Sir Lord Tommo of Clay cross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dan Souf
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, wot Tommo says, with nobs on Laughing
Helen Di Ilium
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlos wrote:
Helen Di Ilium wrote:

i'm sure that commentating is difficult, but its his job for g0ds sake...if i was cr@p at my job i'd lose it, end of story...surely a prerequisite for the job is to be able to recognise more than just a few 'superstar' riders and to understand todays race tactics. listen to dave harman and you'll get the picture...chalk and cheese (upon which duffman could talk for hours but sadly not on the cycling of today...)

Too subtle Question

I better spell it out for you then. Don't try and do jobs that you aren't up to. Maybe it's not just Duffield who needs to give it a rest Rolling Eyes Wink Very Happy .
irishdave
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure how to quote but someone mentioned cycling.tv and brian smith.....he knows his s h i t in fairness. and knows alot of insiders too really cool stuff gettin to chat to the DS of many teams during KBK, GW and Roubaix!!!!!

duffield is ok and thats not an excuse as someone said to be ok just cos it s a hard job, if you re only ok then you should nt be leading a channels coverage of a sport...........
i dont think its too harsh, but he has got worse in the recent past!!!!!!

sorry d u f f e r s you re still a legend!!!!!
Tony Bell
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Duffield is a lovely guy who has done a lot for cycling over the years. He was a maverick type of commentator on EuroSport, with an unusual but strangely endearing style, but I think he should step down now.
Tony
chrisd
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Bell wrote:
David Duffield is a lovely guy who has done a lot for cycling over the years. He was a maverick type of commentator on EuroSport, with an unusual but strangely endearing style, but I think he should step down now.
Tony
well said. a former great.

http://www.alternativesanctuary.co.uk
tommo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Bell wrote:
Tony
Absolute Bo[[0xs Rolling Eyes ...keep him in his enthusiasm and hilarity is legendary ..so what if he makes a few mistakes along the way - dont we all sometimes Wink ..Eurosport wouldnt be the same if he quit ..its not as if he's covering the main cycling events these days ..

who are you to say he should step down F * S Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lee Pover
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although i still like DD he shouldn't be the main commentator these days, maybe he should be in the background a bit more like Kelly. They could wheel him out on occasion to comment on the local cuisine. Smile
tommo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Zappa wrote:
Although i still like DD he shouldn't be the main commentator these days, maybe he should be in the background a bit more like Kelly. They could wheel him out on occasion to comment on the local cuisine. Smile
Ive just mentioned the fact that he is in the background , he dosent do the Tour or the Giro or the classics F * S Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: