Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Was Indurain doped...

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Was Indurain doped...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think Indurains was doped.....
Without a doubt - he was so phick he would never know what they were pumping him with......
80%
 80%  [ 40 ]
No - he was just a physical phenomenom bought on slowly by Echavarri (sp..)
20%
 20%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 50

RicStern
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sterudsdad wrote:
In small doses salbutamol has no performance enhancing qualities except for people with asthma. Sport tends to induce asthma because of the need to breathe heavily for long periods of time hence the inflammation of the airways. In large doses salbutamol has proven anabolic properties being similar to anabolic steroids but the doses are very large. Because of this it may be a masking agent in some people for some anabolic substances.

There is some evidence that beta2 agonists are performance enhancing in normal doses (i can't recall if it was with salbutamol or terbutaline).

In large doses there is plenty of evidence that beta2 agonists cause repartioning in some animals. Anecdotally, body builders use beta2 agonists for cutting up.

Ric
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RicStern wrote:

Resting HR and lung volume are of virtually no interest whatsoever. A high VO2max is important, as it's the rate limiting mechanism in endurance exercise. I have no idea on Webb, and while it's highly likely that Yates had/has a high VO2max it wouldn't be in the same league as Indurain.
Ric

That first sentence is perhaps a little too flippant Ric - for a grown human being to have a low resting pulse and the ability to rev the heart that has the low resting pulse to high rates are indicative of a fit human - as were also reported with Indurain.

There are some illnesses where a low resting pulse is reported but in context I think that large lungs and a slow pulse are very good inidicative signs of fitness.

Sure you can have a low pulse and massive lungs - but if you are unable to absorb the oxygen that is coming in then its a waste of time true.

But again - put it into context - he WAS able to absorb a lot of the oxygen that was incoming - so it all goes to make a very interesting picture.

I like it how he and I both suffer from stomach displacement when under high levels of physical duress. His caused through exercise... mine through the lack of it.. Wink
stretch armstrong
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE the low pulse, maybe he just had a fast watch ?

Putting the dross back in Clay Cross (RT)
Dr RosenRosen
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Hill wrote:
RicStern wrote:

Resting HR and lung volume are of virtually no interest whatsoever. A high VO2max is important, as it's the rate limiting mechanism in endurance exercise. I have no idea on Webb, and while it's highly likely that Yates had/has a high VO2max it wouldn't be in the same league as Indurain.
Ric

That first sentence is perhaps a little too flippant Ric - for a grown human being to have a low resting pulse and the ability to rev the heart that has the low resting pulse to high rates are indicative of a fit human - as were also reported with Indurain.

There are some illnesses where a low resting pulse is reported but in context I think that large lungs and a slow pulse are very good inidicative signs of fitness.

Sure you can have a low pulse and massive lungs - but if you are unable to absorb the oxygen that is coming in then its a waste of time true.

But again - put it into context - he WAS able to absorb a lot of the oxygen that was incoming - so it all goes to make a very interesting picture.

I like it how he and I both suffer from stomach displacement when under high levels of physical duress. His caused through exercise... mine through the lack of it.. Wink

Mr Hill

Ric is not being flippant. Mrs RosenRosen has never done a hard days exercise (except in bed ... Wink ) and her resting pulse is 45. She smokes like a trooper but still blows the peakflow meter at Dr RosenRosen's surgery off the scale.

You need to stop believing the old balony, start training and stop eating imho ...
RicStern
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rich Hill"]
RicStern wrote:

they're not. Lung size (volume) is essentially linked to how big you are. While resting HR generally decreases with increasing fitness, it really means nothing (as can be seen by the fact that my resting HR is likely the same as most div 1 pros, and my fitness is nothing like theirs, mores the pity)

Quote:

if you mean utilise the oxygen, then, maximally, that's Vo2max (which as i pointed out is important)

ric
Howard Peel
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Hill wrote:

David Walsh has an interesting take on Indurain's physical abilities in part two of that interview I linked to earlier. (See below). He points out the prior to the EPO/ blood doping era the good climbers were almost always lightly framed riders, having the classical 'climber' physiology. Even 'big' riders like Merckx were, when compared to today's riders, lightly muscled. Just look at any photo of professional riders from the 60's and 70's as compared to those of today, most look like juniors!

Walsh argues that this was because with a naturally-limited VO2 max, having excess muscle mass is no advantage, just dead weight. (One might make a comparison with a racing car engine- having more CC's is no advantage if the supply of air and fuel is restricted). However, once EPO came on the scene, so allowing the riders blood oxygen supply to be boosted to an unnatural level, those large, muscular riders like Indurain (and Ullrich) suddenly had a big advantage, being able to use their musculature to produce additional power for an extended period. Hence all the 'classical' climbers found themselves to obsolete almost overnight.

As to doping with Indurain's team, didn't someone post a link on here to a story about how every member of the team had haemocrit just a couple of tenths of a percent below the UCI's 50% limit, something which is hardly likely to happen naturally.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Bob and Paul spent over two hours interviewing David Walsh about his love of cycling, his history covering the sport and writing about his heroes and what we will learn from this new book about the culture of doping that is so prevalent in the sport. If you've got a long run or indoor cycling workout planned, we recommend podcasting this conversation. It's pretty eye opening, to say the least."

Part one:

http://www.competitorradio.com/details.php?show=150

Part two:

http://www.competitorradio.com/details.php?show=151

"Greg LeMond has been a lightening rod for controversy for the past few years. The three time Tour de France champion and the first American to win the world's most famous bike race has been very matter-of-fact in his opinion that dru-gs are prevalent in the peloton. Greg took over an hour with Bob and Paul to go through his career and why he feels so strongly that the sport that he loves so dearly needs to clean up it's act now."

http://www.competitorradio.com/details.php?show=21

"Betsy Andreu has been a lightening rod of controversy for the past few years. A primary source for David Walsh and his book entitled 'From Lance to Landis', the wife of former Lance Armstrong teammate Frankie Andreu has a lot of opinions on dru-gs and the sport of cycling. She watched on television as her husband lead the peloton up a beyond category climb during the 1999 Tour de France but instead of being excited, she was upset because she knew immediately that Frankie had gone to the dark side and was now using dru-gs. Enjoy!"

http://www.competitorradio.com/details.php?show=154
Des

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Walsh is now a sports physiology expert now. Merckx , Hinault, et al were not small riders at all.
Howard Peel
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
So Walsh is now a sports physiology expert now. Merckx , Hinault, et al were not small riders at all.

'Big' Eddy Merckx, built like a rugby player he was...

Des

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you found a similar pic of Indurain, apart from the height difference, he wouldn't look dissimilar.
Howard Peel
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
If you found a similar pic of Indurain, apart from the height difference, he wouldn't look dissimilar.

I doubt that...

Indurain...

Merckx...

Indurain...

Merckx..

Howard Peel
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merckx...

Indurain...

martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard Peel wrote:
Merckx...

Indurain...

christine Ohuruogu:

makes em both look like stick insects.
Howard Peel
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merckx...

Des

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So still no conclusive proof then Howard?

Remind me which rider was convicted of doping again?
Chris Sidwells
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Merckx's right is Vittorio Adorni, and on his right is Ghent track impressario Jan de Papiers. The soigneur with the bike is Charlie Ticklebutt. Its armsitice day 1968 and Anderlect were playing at home. Merckx raced in a floodlit cyclocross around Roger de Vlaeminck's allotment later that evening.

Where's my prize Roy?
Howard Peel
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
So still no conclusive proof then Howard?

Well, my eyes tell me that Indurain was built like brick out-house compared to Merckx. If I were you I would pm Martin Smith pretty sharpish for a professional consultation!

Des wrote:
Remind me which rider was convicted of doping again?

I thought the issue was which rider benefited from the use of EPO...
Legs
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Sidwells wrote:
On Merckx's right is Vittorio Adorni, and on his right is Ghent track impressario Jan de Papiers. The soigneur with the bike is Charlie Ticklebutt. Its armsitice day 1968 and Anderlect were playing at home. Merckx raced in a floodlit cyclocross around Roger de Vlaeminck's allotment later that evening.

Great name Laughing
Des

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the photos only show that Indurain's lean limbs appear more cut, due to improved camera focus and the timing of the photo. It's well documented that the size of his lungs displaced his stomach. If you had a photo of him off the bike, with torso exposed I still doubt that you would notice much different. Same with LA.

If EPO was around in the 60's 70's do you think someone who was prepared to use other PEDs would not have also used EPO?
hed
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Sidwells wrote:

Shocked Laughing Laughing
baz
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to know a girl with a big pair of lungs, she would do a turn on the front, but never won a race. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: