Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - iPods

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

iPods
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use an MP3 player when training on the road?
yes
32%
 32%  [ 34 ]
Sometimes
18%
 18%  [ 20 ]
No
49%
 49%  [ 52 ]
Total Votes : 106

Ventoux
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: iPods Reply with quote

I used to think using an iPod whilst out on the road was really stupid and never went near the idea.
Anyway I got a Shuffle for Christmas and started giving it a try.
Couldn't believe the difference. Today I was pootling along at 28 / 30kmh struggling to get the speed up when Stone Roses Elephant stone came on and next thing I'm up to 42kmh and at 90% effort.

Craig

PS, I switch it off going through towns and the roads here are amazing really. On one 40km section I was passed by two cars.
ColT
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone raised this issue the other day - Colin Peerman, I think? - and he, quite rightly IMHO, asserted that cycling and ipods are not happy bedfellows.

Col

http://fiftyyearsandcounting.wordpress.com/
GotUrWheel
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its dangerous enough already
Howard Peel
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotUrWheel wrote:

What with people driving along with their radio turned up and their windows closed and being totally unable to hear what is going on outside their vehicles!

By the way Ventoux. Are you the same person who 'enjoys watching Bruce give the fluffies a kicking'? Wink
Stuart

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotUrWheel wrote:

Yep - I go completely blind when I am listening to anything. If I was listening to music then I would deffo reverse in to the front of a car at high speed while riding my bike.
Alan Lawrence
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that you can't hear what's coming up from behind [with an ipod/Mp3 player on] and one sense we need when riding is our hearing. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Matt Clinton
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can avoid the car that's going to hit you whether or not you're listening to music at the time?
stem
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use just with the right plug in . Can hear cars coming from behind but still enough to motivate . Primal Screams Kill all hippies what a track .
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stem wrote:
I use just with the right plug in .
I hope you are in France!
Stuart

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Clinton wrote:
So you can avoid the car that's going to hit you whether or not you're listening to music at the time?

Yep - you loose the functionality of the eyes in the back of your head once you press play...
Dastardly
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use mine most of the time when riding alone. Generally can hear cars anyway and if a car is going to hit me i'd sooner not know upfront.

Quite often i listen to audiobooks and there is no problem hearing traffic then.
May I present to you, the greatest breakthrough in travel since Sir Rodney Tricycle thought to himself, 'I'm bored of walking, i think i'll invent something with three wheels and a bell, and name it after myself.'
:The time machine.
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

left ear only. actually cuts out some of the wind noise as a bonus, makes no difference to hearing traffic. i would never use both phones, it feels much more isolated.
Dr Ferrari
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure that this is a topic that has been on here before Wink ............"Yawn!!!!!!".............

If you wanna use them just use them who really cares Laughing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Voodoo
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my mobile which plays music. I play it fairly low so i can still here traffic etc.. I use it all the time I am alone. stil keep the earphones in when i'm riding with other just in case the mrs rings. Wink

I ride thinking that I am invisible anyway and ride accordingly.

I don't use my iTouch as it would be a tad dangerous riding around non handed watching films or changing tracks.
carol
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my friends, friends son died whilst crossing a road pushing his mountain bike. The coronor blamed the Ipod. The lorry driver was not at fault.

I would be very unhappy if my son used one whilst on his bike.
Joursans
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used ride with mine (before I dropped the feckin thing in my toilet) and really enjoyed it. However, whilst you can hear cars - you won't hear other cyclists so not too bright for Richmond Park etc.

Don't do it kids! Cool

(It's good for running though)
Wozza
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Ferrari wrote:
Im sure that this is a topic that has been on here before Wink ............"Yawn!!!!!!".............

If you wanna use them just use them who really cares Laughing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who is the fella in your avatar Dr F Question
dossard
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main danger I've encountered is The Coventry Specials coming on when I'm on a hill. Too much too old.
one man army
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wozza wrote:
Dr Ferrari wrote:

Who is the fella in your avatar Dr F Question

Chavanel?

ColT
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to making common sense statements about how hearing may aid safety on the road why do we always end up with sarcastic statements being made?

It's a simple fact - if you hearing is unimpaired you will have better awareness of what's going on around you. Comparisons with cars and radios are not (entirely) relevant - most cyclists I see don't have rear view mirrors. (Incidentally, the most vulnerable I have ever felt on the road is on my motorcycle, with helmet, earplugs and crappy mirrors.)

No we don't have eyes in the backs of our heads, but I can damn sure hear something behind me which I can’t see.

Indulge me for a moment and forgive me for quoting this again:

Billy Boy wrote:
What we need is for everyone to show more respect to all road users (or words to that effect)

Picture the scene: I’m riding along a long narrow country lane and a car approaches from behind. I turn when I hear it so the driver knows I’ve clocked him; I make an effort to move out of his way; he passes; we wave an acknowledgement. Driver and rider communication works and we both are safer. I hope I’ve given a good impression of a cyclist.

Meanwhile, in a parallel universe I am listening to music and I have not realised he is there until much later; at 50 feet he’s still not sure if I know he’s there; eventually I realise there is someone right behind me and I’m holding him up; I move over; he sees I’m plugged in to my music and he curses my being on the road; he’s irritated because I’ve delayed him. “Bloody cyclists, why don’t they get out of the way! They have no respect for motorists.”

Can anyone honestly say that the latter case is preferable?

http://fiftyyearsandcounting.wordpress.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: