Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - iPods

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

iPods
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use an MP3 player when training on the road?
yes
32%
 32%  [ 34 ]
Sometimes
18%
 18%  [ 20 ]
No
49%
 49%  [ 52 ]
Total Votes : 106

Wozza
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one man army wrote:
Wozza wrote:
Dr Ferrari wrote:
Im sure that this is a topic that has been on here before Wink ............"Yawn!!!!!!".............

If you wanna use them just use them who really cares Laughing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who is the fella in your avatar Dr F Question

Chavanel?

Thats the fella, thanks OMA, it was buggin me Wink
Adam
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride with one earphone in. To date, I've never not been able to hear the traffic as I would and consequently, have never had an "Oh, I probably shouldn't be doing this" moment.

http://twitter.com/adamtranter
stem
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, in a parallel universe I am listening to music and I have not realised he is there until much later; at 50 feet he’s still not sure if I know he’s there; eventually I realise there is someone right behind me and I’m holding him up; I move over; he sees I’m plugged in to my music and he curses my being on the road; he’s irritated because I’ve delayed him. “Bloody cyclists, why don’t they get out of the way! They have no respect for motorists.”

Can anyone honestly say that the latter case is preferable?[/quote]

Why would you be in the middle of the road to hold him up in the first place ?
With one earpiece in you can hear everything coming .
Superparrott
Cat 4 Groupie
Cat 4 Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Colonel wrote:
When it comes to making common sense statements about how hearing may aid safety on the road why do we always end up with sarcastic statements being made?

It's a simple fact - if you hearing is unimpaired you will have better awareness of what's going on around you. Comparisons with cars and radios are not (entirely) relevant - most cyclists I see don't have rear view mirrors. (Incidentally, the most vulnerable I have ever felt on the road is on my motorcycle, with helmet, earplugs and crappy mirrors.)

No we don't have eyes in the backs of our heads, but I can damn sure hear something behind me which I can’t see.

Indulge me for a moment and forgive me for quoting this again:

Billy Boy wrote:
What we need is for everyone to show more respect to all road users (or words to that effect)

Picture the scene: I’m riding along a long narrow country lane and a car approaches from behind. I turn when I hear it so the driver knows I’ve clocked him; I make an effort to move out of his way; he passes; we wave an acknowledgement. Driver and rider communication works and we both are safer. I hope I’ve given a good impression of a cyclist.

Meanwhile, in a parallel universe I am listening to music and I have not realised he is there until much later; at 50 feet he’s still not sure if I know he’s there; eventually I realise there is someone right behind me and I’m holding him up; I move over; he sees I’m plugged in to my music and he curses my being on the road; he’s irritated because I’ve delayed him. “Bloody cyclists, why don’t they get out of the way! They have no respect for motorists.”

Can anyone honestly say that the latter case is preferable?

So, if you're deaf, you shouldn't be cycling?
GZA
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as we're in the blame game up to our necks in this country (just this far without the litigation) you might perceive it to be unwise to ride with an ipod. I sometimes do, and the wind noise far far out weighs the music - I've never found a music player loud enough to drown out traffic noise - not that I'm looking for one tho! Its all about awareness and listening to music and riding my bike with all the skills it entails is a level of multi tasking I'm more than capable of.
Lillywhite
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one man army wrote:
Wozza wrote:
Dr Ferrari wrote:
Im sure that this is a topic that has been on here before Wink ............"Yawn!!!!!!".............

If you wanna use them just use them who really cares Laughing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chavanel?

Sylvain Chavanel Wink

He has a younger brother, Sebastien, who is also a Pro.
Dr Ferrari
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lillywhite wrote:
one man army wrote:
Wozza wrote:
Dr Ferrari wrote:

Chavanel?

Sylvain Chavanel Wink

He has a younger brother, Sebastien, who is also a Pro.

He also Has a even younger brother called Cyril , who you will all get to hear about in the next few years IMHO, and he also has an older brother who tought me how to party!!....while Sylvain showed me how to suffer Laughing
DNAse
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save the Ipod for the turbo or rollers I say. I think it is even worse for pedestrians though. I've nearly hit a few on my bike when they've stepped out despite screaming at them they're just oblivious.
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Colonel wrote:

Can anyone honestly say that the latter case is preferable?

one earphone is fine. no detriment to hearing and keeps me a lot more awake in the dark when frankly commuting is a bit boring. never felt the need to use it in the daylight.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see 3 earphones, one for each nipple.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
dimasobike
E, Silver

Location: Rolling a cheese, wearing a bear suit, sat in a wicker sofa.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always play tapes on my ghetto blaster in the saddle bags. its alot safer.
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GZA wrote:
Well as we're in the blame game up to our necks in this country (just this far without the litigation) you might perceive it to be unwise to ride with an ipod. I sometimes do, and the wind noise far far out weighs the music - I've never found a music player loud enough to drown out traffic noise - not that I'm looking for one tho! Its all about awareness and listening to music and riding my bike with all the skills it entails is a level of multi tasking I'm more than capable of.

I have approximately 1/3 of the normal hearing of a human.(Stone deaf on the right and frequency problems on the left) I 'sometimes' like to ride with the ipod on. It is something I USED to do a long time ago but fell out of favour with (mainly because I don't get to do MEGA long rides any more). However - traffic problems aside - it IS nice to do.

I find that as I know most of the roads I am riding on - I know where the problem areas are most of the time and often drop the ear piece out when I am approaching or in such an area.

That said - I do feel safer without the ipod.
Stuart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - if I want to listen to Peter Tosh and U-Roy when I'm on a bike I will.
kingy
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that if I use my Ipod it actually provides a use for a helmet as the straps can hold the earphones in place.

I will say if I had to ride in city traffic like many of seem to do ..then I wouldn't

wouldn't ride a bike that is..

I was out for 48 miles yesterday afternoon probably saw 10 cars..thought it was really busy for a Wednesday
dimasobike
E, Silver

Location: Rolling a cheese, wearing a bear suit, sat in a wicker sofa.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet work was probably paying you £500 + for each mile Wink
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like most things isn't it?

Listening to music on a bike, or walking about, or doing anything where hearing is used as an aid to safe navigation is not in itself dangerous, its how the individual responds and acts in relation to having your effective hearing diminished....

There is nothing dangerous about crossing a road with earphones in if you stop and have a proper look at whats coming... Amazes me the amount of people who don't look....
kingy
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimasobike wrote:
Bet work was probably paying you £500 + for each mile Wink

How very dare you .....
Steve P
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an mp3 Player all the time, my hearing must be good cuz I can still hear the cars etc with it turned up a bit.

Never had a problem.

I feel safer on the road than in a 3-4ths bunch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: