Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Best time to train

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Best time to train
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

The safest time to train during the week in winter is:
before work
42%
 42%  [ 12 ]
after work
57%
 57%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 28

John McC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Brush wrote:
John McC wrote:
Lord Brush wrote:
Can't you commute- i.e before and after work?

You call that training? Confused
Dunno. What's your point? What do you call training then?

My commute is 23 miles each way, and I usually press-on a fair old bit. Feels like training to me.

It's only an early year thing- afterwork chaingangs etc when the light improves a bit.

I was asking a question: I thought you were making the point!

If you are doing 46m each day with a bit of effort, that sounds like training to me! My commute, on the other hand, being through north London, is totally unsuitable for "training".

Last edited by John McC on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Brush
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. I didn't understand your ' Confused ' is all.

And I don't do it every day unfortunately. I should, & if I did I'd probably be a much better cyclist...

http://www.maxgear.co.uk

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/
Tony Bell
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother Mike used to work in Prescot, outside Liverpool. He'd ride down to the ferry in Birkenhead (two miles), get off in Liverpool then use the traffic-light dominated 10 miles to work as interval training. He was a handy crit rider and he had his best season when he was doing this.
QED. Or something. Smile
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wait until March.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
John McC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
I just wait until March.

And then go crap until September.
colinpeerman
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
I just wait until March.

I wish Icould be that good, innit !
Cary de Weigh
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now see where I've been going wrong. I had assumed that everyone else was out there in the dark, wind and rain grinding out the miles. When in fact, most VRs are (just like me) wimping out and using the turbo instead. Confused
Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wimping out, it is far more dangerous after dark. I don't ride in the dark.

Week-end rides, lunchtime when work allows or turbo for me.
Lord Brush
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without wishing to start another discussion altogether, I feel SAFER riding in the dark (as far as traffic is concerned), with all the lights, 3M reflective bits everywhere and assorted tinsel than I do in daylight. Navigating 'safely', down unlit backroads etc is another matter etc, though a decent front light makes the world of difference.

http://www.maxgear.co.uk

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
I just wait until March.

I didn't start till April last year, so I might be fit by August this year. Cool

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'll put in an opposing view and say that training in the dark is (I feel) safer. A big old light on the front pumping out 10w witha half watt rear light makes you seen in the lanes from miles away. I've lost count of the amount of times over the years that car drivers have dipped their lights when faced with my front light coming at them. PLus, you are seen much more easily out in the lanes from a distance, especially if you have a decent front light casting out a good glare - most cars assume you're a motor bike and those that don't tend to slow down.

I feel safer at this time of year and when you're out with a group of 4 or more, all with working lights it is an impressive sight and one that causes other traffic to slow down accordingly.

The only time I feel at a disadvantage is in the rain, in the suburbs, at night. Apart from those few mins there's no problem AFAIC
Stuart

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard wrote:
Well I'll put in an opposing view and say that training in the dark is (I feel) safer. A big old light on the front pumping out 10w witha half watt rear light makes you seen in the lanes from miles away. I've lost count of the amount of times over the years that car drivers have dipped their lights when faced with my front light coming at them. PLus, you are seen much more easily out in the lanes from a distance, especially if you have a decent front light casting out a good glare - most cars assume you're a motor bike and those that don't tend to slow down.

I feel safer at this time of year and when you're out with a group of 4 or more, all with working lights it is an impressive sight and one that causes other traffic to slow down accordingly.

The only time I feel at a disadvantage is in the rain, in the suburbs, at night. Apart from those few mins there's no problem AFAIC

What light you using on the front?
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:

Light and Motion Solo
http://www.bikelights.com/Products/Solo.htm

Does the job more than adequately - gets me seen in the 'burbs to and from work and lets me see the road out in the lanes
Stuart

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard wrote:
Stuart wrote:

Light and Motion Solo
http://www.bikelights.com/Products/Solo.htm

Does the job more than adequately - gets me seen in the 'burbs to and from work and lets me see the road out in the lanes

How much?
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
How much?

I can't remember exactly but I bought it in 2006 for just under £100 from my LBS
Graham Webb
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't it depend on what your training for, how much time you have in the morning or in the evening, at what level you intend to race, and how much talent you're born with?

If your you're quite good and only riding 25's then an hour in the evening rush hour will suffice. On the other hand if you're road racing at international level you'll need to train at that level and distance. If you only have time in the evenings to train 50 miles or more, it leaves you with no other option than that.

My last year in Britain I did 50 miles in the morning as I didn't have to start working until 10 am, but then I was working until 10 pm. So no choice. The turbo and the track is OK for keeping you in trim but is no substitute for real road training. (Talented) Profs road racing for 7 hours train on the road for 7 hours or more, there are no short cuts.

As for lighting; in my younger days I did a lot of night riding and always used a SA Dyno Hub, loads of power and light. I still use one today (not SA). They are better than in my day, light metal, broad powerful beam, no batteries to run down or charge, never slips in the rain, almost no drag, comes on automatically at dusk, stays on if I have to stop at the traffic lights, what more do you want?
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham Webb wrote:
Doesn't it depend on what your training for, how much time you have in the morning or in the evening, at what level you intend to race, and how much talent you're born with?

Nope - the question was "when is the safest"? Im plumping for morning for no particular reason.
Graham Webb
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
Nope - the question was "when is the safest"? Im plumping for morning for no particular reason.

If you have time in the morning then that is always best, even in the summer.

Having ridden many thousands of miles in many different countries I can't say when it is safest (without a cycle path), maybe someone has the statistics on this too?

I know that in the dark (and raining) if you keep to the side of the road cars will pass you very very close, but if you ride near to the centre of the road they always see you and give a blast on the horn or just give you a wide berth! Sometimes they complain that I'm in the middle of the road but I reply with "well at least you saw me then". I'm 64 now.
Stuart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham Webb wrote:
I'm 64 now.

Happy birthday Graham!
Graham Webb
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Happy birthday Reply with quote

Thank you stuart, but will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm .... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: