Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Hog Hill - First Ride!

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Hog Hill - First Ride!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will you ride at Hog Hill?
YES
61%
 61%  [ 11 ]
NO
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
I still want Rammey Marsh
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
I hate all things to do with Eastway, but if this shuts them up I'm all for it
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 18

Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Hog Hill - First Ride! Reply with quote

OK, OK so everyone would have liked to have been there on the first day but we were asked not to publicise the event as nobody apart from LVYCC has a booking.

We had a great time on what will be a wonderful circuit. This was just the 800m indy circuit with the alpine turns, but already we can tell the circuit's going to put us back where we were with riders who can learn how to handle bikes and make 'em go up hills.

Watch the video and see how quickly you think you will be able to get around the indy circuit. Note how smooth the bends are and how well cambered too. The lower turn rivals anything there is out there for a true test of riding ability and just like Clarey's was, it's able to tolerate a small mistake and to punish a stupid one.

No, we didn't have any fallers even though there were those who doubted the ability of our tiny ones to make it round. Even little Ned with the six-inch wheels and tiny cranks was whizzing round safely. The girls wanted to keep on going clockwise when we wanted to change and try it anti-clockwise. Then they didn't want to change back again. - It's good whichever way you go.

For the seniors, I doubt you will find a circuit which tests your cornering nerve and your snap on the short climbs better than this. Again, like Eastway you are drawn ever-onwards by the next feature - be it swoopy bend or snappy climb to the top straight.

Come the summer when we get the full 2km it's now obvious that the circuit will be the country's best for its full-on speed and delicacy of touch. In the meantime, this is the most entertaining and exacting 800m of tarmac anywhere.

See you at Hog Hill soon. Do make sure your club gets a booking.

Meantime you'll have to enjoy the movie:-

http://www.youtube.com/v/6RKMCy30WeM
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant video, Michael.

The surface looks perfect - is it a little wider than Eastway?

Those bends look challenging, to say the least.

The clubhouse looks great; I hope every local club will be investigating if their club nights can be there.

Well done.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
dockeca
Div 2 Pro

Location: halfway up the South Downs - or halfway down the South Ups!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent and informative video, I noticed that the youngsters were getting good lean angles at modest speeds, so should be a bit good at full-on race pace. Give it a couple of seasons when the landscaping has settled and everything's available, and the question will be "Eastway? What was that?".

"Any views expressed are entirely my own and not representative of any organisation of which I may or may not be a member. Unless I say otherwise."
"A Libertarian Crackpot" H.Peel
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wait a couple of seasons Colin?!

- The Indy Circuit is there now - as in the video

Sorry, some things I left out as I didn't want to poop on the celebrations

- The clubhouse is bang-on target for the end of April - which means the full 8m width of start finish straight can open (and yes it's wider than Eastway all round)
- There is a perfectly fine small clubhouse (the blue units seen by the lower bend)
- There are showers/changing and a drying room, as well as the clubroom with trackside patio
- Limited car parking on-site for next est 4 weeks (when it will be over 150 spaces)
- Off-road has been started, to run all the way round the outside (est completion end Apr for newt-free zones)
- Newt surveying and capture should be starting again soon (good weather and LDA having to pay contractor's down-time = urgency)
- Full 2km circuit should be complete by August, but in the meantime the indy circuit and beautiful clubhouse from April should make Hog Hill a positive resort

It's impossible to over-estimate the quality of the aspect from this site. With views over nearby open fields leading into E London and Westwards up to the distant City skyline, plus all-day sun, mature woodland and new plantings it's possible to think that Hog Hill will be fighting 'em off as bookings flood in.

I've got the circuit for a major event on 6th Sept - Day before the ToB. Watch this space.....
Dan Souf
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,
will Beastway be at Hog Hill this year? or Hainault?
or too soon to call?
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only know there was a meeting betw The Beast Org and Redbridge last week. A repeat of Hainault Forest Country Park, or Hog Hill or even a bit of both or - worse - nothing was up for consideration.
- You'll have to ask them.

I'm sure the Beast and TLI, Ciclos Uno, LVRC, BC - any event organiser - worth its salt will be looking into the best options and letting its 'clients' know what's coming up.
They would have to be pretty stupid not to be putting as much effort as possible into running promotions on what all declared to be the best relocation option. Now the circuit's being built and looks certain to be equal to or better than Eastway in every respect except location, it would be hard for anyone to justify promoting anywhere else.
It looks like EUG's collective action landed Redbridge with a winner!

- Now we just have to make sure the Legacy, Crystal Palace and Herne Hill all get sorted to our satisfaction. EUG is on the case with Legacy, and I'm sure Herne Hill is sorted for action groups, but who knows what's happening with the Palace?
You should also be aware that your support for the A2 linear park at Gravesham could bring additional provision. Consultation now running, so do make a contribution to that.

Out of the dark there came forth light - eh?!
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if your club or your favourite race series is going to be on Hog Hill? - Why not ask them as this will help stir some action.
foxy
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic. Can't wait for the Tudor Grange Circuit in Solihull to start and finish now. Current Start date....15th March...current completion date 2nd July.

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: