Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Moment of the week?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Moment of the week?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Track Cycling)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

So many to choose from, which was the best?
Wiggins & Cav taking a lap in the Madison
43%
 43%  [ 45 ]
World Record in the Team Pursuit
12%
 12%  [ 13 ]
Hoy winning sprint gold for first time in 54 years
21%
 21%  [ 22 ]
Romero winning gold after only 2 years on a bike
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Oh, I don't know...everything really...
21%
 21%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 104

Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TREK wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Is sprint racing that much in the head that a knowledgeable onlooker can often pick the winner in advance like you did?
Roy, you have to remember that I've been around the sport for a long time now and seen many.
Sure even an ignoramus like me knows that -- I wasn't suggesting I could tell!!
Quote:
Part of my excitement this week was being down in the pit's.
Is that a privilege of your status? I've often wondered how one gets to go into the track centre.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz

Last edited by Roy Gardiner on Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bally
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too difficult to choose one moment, it was all great.

Only down side was the mother-in-law (who's never been into cycling) phoning me up every five minutes saying 'Did you see that'. She was on her feet every time the National Anthem was played - most exercise she's had for years Wink Laughing

Good shot of Vicky and Max after her sprint win which also made the national news I hear.

Also good to see Hugh getting his gold badge.
"real class" - George Gilbert"
hed
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddison for me. thought Hugh Porter was going to commentate himself straight into the nearest a+e department.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TREK wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:

Is sprint racing that much in the head that a knowledgeable onlooker can often pick the winner in advance like you did?

Roy, you have to remember that I've been around the sport for a long time now and seen many.

Part of my excitement this week was being down in the pit's. I was constantly hanging around the warm up areas. Thats where the races are won and lost. The atmosphere before the team sprint final was absolutley incredible as both countries France and GB where right next to each other.

Now that result was impossible to pre select with both countries pulling of personal PB's.

Jamie's opening 17.2 was "phenominal" ( the new catch word Laughing )

One moment that stands out in my mind was Chris losing his first ride to Bos in the quarters. Chris lost miserably there. I then watched him for an hour. This is where his biggest strength is. He wasn't even bothered and you could see that he going to go back out a draw blood. Which he did.

But after disposing of the Worlds best "Bos" he showed loads of confidence.

Great to watch and glad that I was there. (again) Wink

I don't think that Chris isn't bothered I think he is good at hiding his anxiety.
snakeeater
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TREK wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:

Part of my excitement this week was being down in the pit's. I was constantly hanging around the warm up areas. Thats where the races are won and lost. The atmosphere before the team sprint final was absolutley incredible as both countries France and GB where right next to each other.

Now that result was impossible to pre select with both countries pulling of personal PB's.

Jamie's opening 17.2 was "phenominal" ( the new catch word Laughing )

One moment that stands out in my mind was Chris losing his first ride to Bos in the quarters. Chris lost miserably there. I then watched him for an hour. This is where his biggest strength is. He wasn't even bothered and you could see that he going to go back out a draw blood. Which he did.

But after disposing of the Worlds best "Bos" he showed loads of confidence.

Great to watch and glad that I was there. (again) Wink

Sorry for my ignorance, but how do you get to be inside the pit area? Are you a sports journo or something?
John McC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked I suspect being a former World Champion, TREK is on fairly good terms with the Candian team.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect he was looking after Travis Smith Very Happy
TBK
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snakeeater wrote:

Sorry for my ignorance, but how do you get to be inside the pit area? Are you a sports journo or something?

Click the link in TREK's signature Wink

www.gordonsingleton.com

Last edited by TBK on Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
LukePiewalker
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At which point did you tell Travis he was going to have to do a Pursuit?
TREK
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LukePiewalker wrote:
At which point did you tell Travis he was going to have to do a Pursuit?

His best chance of qualifying for Beijing was through the Omnium, pursuit included.

Travis has come a long way from his bad crash at last years World Champs where he broke his pelvis.
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the moment of the week for me - genuinely not influenced because I know Varno - was watching Jess Varnish ride the keirin heat and repechage against some of the best riders in the world and then somebody telling me that she was going back to her room later to finish her A level homework! Many commentators in the media have asked where this "sudden success" came from and that really brought home to me how so much focus is placed on developing the young riders who are fortunate enough to have the potential to reach the podium in due course and how the team focusses their efforts on those riders.

I had pretty much the same thoughts after watching Lizzie Armitsted ride well in the scratch race and Stephen Burke in the omnium.
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily enough, Adam had scored us some tickets for Friday night and we were sat down when I looked around to see up near the back - Geraint Thomas, Ed Clancy sitting down watching their female counterparts in the women's team pursuit and also Paul Manning and his wife sitting a few rows in front of them taking photos. You'd never think that the previous night they'd just become World Champions travelling at over 40mph for less than 4 minutes.....
Funniest bit for me: a couple of young autograph hunters had gone to Ed and Geraint for signatures and when they'd finished a steward then kicked Geraint out of his seat as there were paying spectators whose seats he and some Chinese athletes were sitting in Laughing
It seems that being a World Champion is not good enough to get a free seat at your home velodrome these days Very Happy
snakeeater
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBK wrote:
snakeeater wrote:

Click the link in TREK's signature Wink

www.gordonsingleton.com

Thanks. My utmost respect to TREK and I hope he can forgive me my oversight. I admit I haven't been a track enthusiast until the recent few years ago (mainly down to GB's increasing success probably). There's room for improvement (as in my lack of current knowledge) lets say! Embarassed
blimpyboy
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really a "favourite" moment, but one that made me smile;

In Chris's first round keirin race, one of the other riders (Lithuanian I think?) leant fairly heavily on Mr Hoy as they rolled away from the start, a few yards later Chris gave the guy's front wheel a flick with his rear disc. The Lithuanian got the message, Old School style Cool

I honestly think Chris Hoy has potential once he learns how to ride in a group Wink
MadCow
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a fantastic five days and I agree with all the top moments people have said here.

Best move of the event was Bos getting the jump on Chris in the sprint, but you could tell that Chris instantly thought 'save your energy for the next heat' when he it happened.

My bestest moment though was sitting in front of Theo and his Brother on the last day, laughing with them at the antics in the Dutch camp when Van Dijk and Mulder won, and having my photo taken with Theo [alert KJ] with his arm round me[/alert KJ]

Trouble is hubby is holding the piccy to ransom now Confused Laughing

LukePiewalker
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd forgotten about that one, I was worried he'd holed his disc. Think he really wanted the bike in that ride...
I'm still thinking Sireaus sub ten though...
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadCow wrote:
It was a fantastic five days and I agree with all the top moments people have said here.

Best move of the event was Bos getting the jump on Chris in the sprint, but you could tell that Chris instantly thought 'save your energy for the next heat' when he it happened.

My bestest moment though was sitting in front of Theo and his Brother on the last day, laughing with them at the antics in the Dutch camp when Van Dijk and Mulder won, and having my photo taken with Theo [alert KJ] with his arm round me[/alert KJ]

Mmm should have bought those tickets of yours Very Happy The least you can do is post the pic!
MadCow
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
MadCow wrote:

Mmm should have bought those tickets of yours Very Happy The least you can do is post the pic!

Yep I will do when I have the time. The pic is now at work, but I am so busy there that I haven't had time to add it onto here Sad
Mind you, I have printed a A4 photo of him and me off and stuck it on my work wall Very Happy :bigsmile:

David E.
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dutch boys brought Ross a pair of clogs, it was the funniest thing I saw all week, but its the thought that counts Laughing
MadCow
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadCow wrote:
KJ wrote:
MadCow wrote:

Yep I will do when I have the time. The pic is now at work, but I am so busy there that I haven't had time to add it onto here Sad
Mind you, I have printed a A4 photo of him and me off and stuck it on my work wall Very Happy :bigsmile:

It's on my signature now! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Track Cycling) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: