Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Would you turn pro?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Would you turn pro?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you turn pro if you were able?
Yes
71%
 71%  [ 59 ]
no
28%
 28%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 83

Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lillywhite wrote:
Rich Hill wrote:

Not sure how much the degree would be a fall back these days. It must be 10+ years since he did anything with that area of his life. Could be wrong.

I agree. He's 34 now and even if he packed up pro bike racing tomorrow he would be competing in the market place with recently graduated guys.

True, but a degree opens more doors than it closes, certainly doesn't do any harm.

I doubt he'll leave cycling now though.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
DNAse
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matteo wrote:
DNAse wrote:
There's a guy called Flavio, manages a coffee shop near me. He was a pro in the eighties and second KoM Giro d'Italia 1984. Now he's riding local events for fun. Don't think he regrets much, has plenty of great stories to dine out on, huge respect from all the local cyclists, in fact he's become a local legend! Money cannot be everything...

Just done a bit of googling; he was also 12th in Milan-San Remo and 18th in Paris-Roubaix in the same year. Is this the same guy who is now riding time trials for Oxford Uni CC?

Yep, Zappi is his name. He's not studying at the Uni I think its more a flag of convenience plus it helps drum up some trade!

edit: I wasn't there but I heard that he turned up to one of the Uni rides on a sit-up-and-beg town bike and gave all the students, all on their race bikes, a thoroughly hard time. Very Happy

Last edited by DNAse on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
eastway82
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you turn pro? Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
As a follow on from the 'salary of a pro cyclist, Would you, if you had the ability to turn pro but not be a top road rider earning 6 figures, swap what you have now for life as a pro cyclist? so perhaps world track medals and a TDF stage league and have to have another career lined up afterwards.

I couldn't care less how serious the replies are, i'm just making conversation.

Any time up to mid-twenties, probably yes (not that it was ever on the cards, mind - I was always too lazy) - excitement, travel, all that stuff.
These days I'm too rooted at home to want to spend six months a year living out of a suitcase. And I'm still lazy.
Isaac James Smith
Cat 4 Groupie
Cat 4 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to turn pro for the chesterfield coureurs junior team sprint team Cool
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isaac James Smith wrote:
I'm going to turn pro for the chesterfield coureurs junior team sprint team Cool

I bet you're taller than your Dad already. Cool

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isaac James Smith wrote:

Still in development? Must have at least an A and a B team now Very Happy

Last edited by KJ on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Isaac James Smith
Cat 4 Groupie
Cat 4 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Isaac James Smith wrote:

I bet you're taller than your Dad already. Cool

I do weigh 10 kilos Shocked probably got a better power to weight ratio.
Joursans
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lillywhite wrote:
Rich Hill wrote:

Not sure how much the degree would be a fall back these days. It must be 10+ years since he did anything with that area of his life. Could be wrong.

I agree. He's 34 now and even if he packed up pro bike racing tomorrow he would be competing in the market place with recently graduated guys.

I knew the bassist from a cult early 80's indie band when I was at Bar School. After a few years having a wonderful life goofin about once he hit 40 he decided to so sommat different and became a barrister. He couldn't understand why anyone in their early 20's would not want to try something a little more exciting in life (to be fair he had a point). He was pretty bright and being older than all the jumped up twats you tended to get at Bar School was more of an advantage than an issue.
Isaac James Smith
Cat 4 Groupie
Cat 4 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
Isaac James Smith wrote:

Still in development? Must have at least an A and a B team now Very Happy

wer'e heading for a girls and boy's team certainly.
Des

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Lillywhite wrote:
Rich Hill wrote:

True, but a degree opens more doors than it closes, certainly doesn't do any harm.

I doubt he'll leave cycling now though.

Plus he'll have a lot more "life" experience, can demonstrate excellence and dedication in his approach to his chosen profession and I assume his language skills are pretty good.
TBK
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNAse wrote:

edit: I wasn't there but I heard that he turned up to one of the Uni rides on a sit-up-and-beg town bike and gave all the students, all on their race bikes, a thoroughly hard time. Very Happy

Thats just pure class, I wonder what they thought of him before and after that ride?
Festina_Lente
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always bemused by the weight of importance put on a degree versus having a stab at pro sport.

The window of opportunity to become a professional athelete is tiny. And if you've got the engine you really just have to take the risk and with some luck, you'll make it.

Also picking up a "proper" degree from a good university is possible while being a pro: the uci have a series of incentives and help in this regard.
http://www.uci-academy.org/
You can become a mature student if you really want. Rubiera famously graduted as an engineer while being a pro cyclist.

I know many ex-professionals and none are bad of. You get the odd Vandenbrouke or Pantani, but they are in all walks of life.

One thing that may happen also with going to University is being led a stray: Freshers week does not encourage any sort of excelence, academic or sporting. I know several world class athlete's whom this happened to.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how many pounds are in the bank. People under value quality of life, or lifestyle.

I would urge any young person, when you known you are talented enough: Pursue your ambitions relentlesly. To quote gladiator: "What we do in life echoes in eternity!"
Tony Bell
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have loved to have been a pro - a 'proper' one I mean, not the type of 'pro' I was briefly.

As for the argument about a degree...I've got one, politics and international relations (2:1) and I'm driving a bus. Confused
AliCarr
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes.
harry g flatters
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anybody else on here think that £24K is a fairly decent wage? I mean, i'm on about £10,000 less than that and seem able to survive.

so, another ten grand? Hell yeah!
harry g flatters
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Bell wrote:
I would have loved to have been a pro - a 'proper' one I mean, not the type of 'pro' I was briefly.

As for the argument about a degree...I've got one, politics and international relations (2:1) and I'm driving a bus. Confused

a school mates dad had a degree in ancient languages and the only use he ever got out of it was translating the latin jokes in asterix
ColT
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 45 and got a pro contract as of yesterday. Very Happy

God bless the Royal Mail. My team bike is a half-ton Pashley with a bloody great basket on t'front. Cool

http://fiftyyearsandcounting.wordpress.com/
Si W
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im seriously considering becoming a professional sat nav racer. I think I show potential.
dockeca
Div 2 Pro

Location: halfway up the South Downs - or halfway down the South Ups!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have only a few years of relative youth, so if the abiliity is present, go for it. there's plenty of time to go afterwards, and if you did have the talent, got to 35 and had not been brave enough to try, would you not feel something was missing?

"Any views expressed are entirely my own and not representative of any organisation of which I may or may not be a member. Unless I say otherwise."
"A Libertarian Crackpot" H.Peel
BrianS
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a follow on from the 'salary of a pro cyclist, Would you, if you had the ability to turn pro but not be a top road rider earning 6 figures, swap what you have now for life as a pro cyclist? so perhaps world track medals and a TDF stage league and have to have another career lined up afterwards.

chance to be pro = chance to ride a bike and get paid = dream = definately yes!!!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: