Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - On-Line Race Entry

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

On-Line Race Entry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you enter via "on-line only" system?
Yes I would
97%
 97%  [ 36 ]
No I would not
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 37

De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: On-Line Race Entry Reply with quote

I believe the future for grass roots type events, that require pre-entry due to the circuit only being able to handle a certain amount of riders, lies in on-line entry.

Would you be prepared to enter a race on-line if it only accepted entries in this way and did not take postal entries. It is much easier for the organiser and we have enough organisational challenges already! Smile

I stress that I am talking about grass-roots races and not major events that have issues such as seeding of riders/points etc to take into account.
Adman_Rob
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used RiderHQ in the past and would love to enter all my races that way. Then I can finally retire the cheque book (entries is all I use the thing for).

Our bikes are all cutting edge but our admin is old fashioned...
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an event organiser I'd love to have online entries for my open '10'. No more cheques that need paying in once the closing date has gone past, just get cash deposited in an account. No more would we get half the cheques made payable to the organiser and the other half made payable to the organising club which creates enough headaches on it's own.
IainW
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At CDNW on-line entry would not add any benefits to our grass roots events at the moment. For the RR league each rider is registered and has a number. We have a master spreadsheet with all the riders details, each event is a workbook of sign on sheets with a results sheet at the back. When an entry is recieved the reg number is input on a sign on sheet and look-up tables populates the rest of the data. After the race the riders race numbers are input to the Result sheet and the same info is auto populated to be sent to BC.

A trip to the bank is not saved by on-line entry as we also run weekly crits which are EOL so the RR league money is banked along with that. The results sheet for the crits are also produced from a master table of riders as they also register with the crit league.
AlbertHerring
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

System would be fine for me but as far as the poll goes, you're biasing your sample a lot by running it on-line, aren't you?
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlbertHerring wrote:
System would be fine for me but as far as the poll goes, you're biasing your sample a lot by running it on-line, aren't you?

Yes I suppose so but you normally get a reasonable response and I can't be bothered to write to BC's 15,000 members!! Wink
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IainW wrote:
At CDNW on-line entry would not add any benefits to our grass roots events at the moment. For the RR league each rider is registered and has a number. We have a master spreadsheet with all the riders details, each event is a workbook of sign on sheets with a results sheet at the back. When an entry is recieved the reg number is input on a sign on sheet and look-up tables populates the rest of the data. After the race the riders race numbers are input to the Result sheet and the same info is auto populated to be sent to BC.

A trip to the bank is not saved by on-line entry as we also run weekly crits which are EOL so the RR league money is banked along with that. The results sheet for the crits are also produced from a master table of riders as they also register with the crit league.

One of the problems we may have in Solihull is the field maxing out at 40 or so due to the circuit being relatively small. So until we find our way, as you have now done, I would hate to just say "on-the-line entry" - which is the easist of the lot - as we may get riders turning up who do not get a ride etc. But I dare say after a bit and when things get established we would get a much better idea etc.

The on-line entry seems a simple solution to it all - at the moment anyway. But appreciate your comments and no doubt we will be asking you and Hillingdon for loads more advice as we move forward.
Stuart

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent my answer in the post.
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
I've sent my answer in the post.

Sorry but I will not be opening it!!

Some of the advantages seems quite attractive for an organiser:

Get more entries! It takes 2 clicks to enter a race on RiderHQ, any time until the night before.

Pin down last minute entries No more fielding phone calls about on-the-line places, give the riders your event's URL and let them get on with it.

You control when the entries close.

Less paperwork riders fill in their own details, you can download as a spreadsheet, generate entry lists, signing on sheets, results sheets

Guaranteed payments. All confirmed entries are charged up front, payment is secured before you run your event.

Save on postage All entrants have email addresses, you can download a spreadsheet of these and send out your programme and results electronically

You are in control You have control over all your event's details - if these change you can update them at any time, changes take effect immediately
Instantly updated Everyone can see the entry list as it grows. This has a powerful effect, encouraging more entries and keeping everything in one place

So no you can't send anything to me by post!! Wink
IainW
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De Rosa
The first two words that you have highlighted are key, you have to do it, all on-line is doing for you is taking and banking the money!

I think riders prefer EOL for mid week events. Getting to the event after work can be a bit of a sqeze for some and any hold ups in rush hour traffic can cause the start to be missed. Also todays riders are bit soft and if it raining they may be tempted to give it a miss.
Des

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IainW wrote:
De Rosa
The first two words that you have highlighted are key, you have to do it, all on-line is doing for you is taking and banking the money!

I think riders prefer EOL for mid week events. Getting to the event after work can be a bit of a sqeze for some and any hold ups in rush hour traffic can cause the start to be missed. Also todays riders are bit soft and if it raining they may be tempted to give it a miss.

No the entrants do it, you don't have to sit down and type in their details for 40+ riders.
IainW
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a point of personal data and what it's used for. An on-line entry company may or may not sell your personal details, they are also able to sell stats that they have x number of cyclists, runners and triathletes using their site and push advertising in that way. All of which may be of benefit to a rider. Wink

The costs of online entry goes to the rider, and whilst these are relatively small now, if it all goes that way, then they've got you and costs will rise.
IainW
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
IainW wrote:
De Rosa

No the entrants do it, you don't have to sit down and type in their details for 40+ riders.

Can you print off a sign on sheet from the on-line entry system?
Billynobrakes
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted yes, as for me this is probably a preferable way of entering races.

That said if you make entries on-line only you do run the risk of alienating or even excluding certain rider.

I know in this day and age the majority of people do have computers and internet access, but not everybody does, and some of those that do don't have a clue how to use it
Des

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IainW wrote:
Des wrote:
IainW wrote:
De Rosa

Can you print off a sign on sheet from the on-line entry system?

Yes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: