Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Cycle Sport and Procycling

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Cycle Sport and Procycling
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you buy on a regular basis?
Procycling
85%
 85%  [ 29 ]
Cycle Sport
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 34

Killer C
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Cycle Sport and Procycling Reply with quote

It seems to me that Procycling and Cycle Sport are often covering similar material from similar perspectives. Every so often they seem to "relaunch" themselves with a "new and exciting" look, but generally I find little to differentiate them.

I'm vaguely curious that they can both survive (though grateful they do).

Which of the two mags do people buy (that's buy not read) on a regular basis?
IainW
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neither
Nick S
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I subscribe to both but it really p155es me off that they seem to swap articles from one month to the next. I find Cycle Sport a little pious and Broom Wagon is just utter shyte. I'd keep pro cycling of the 2 especially now Boardman doesnt bore the ar5e off us any more with his bike tests
Ste_S
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Procycling for me

The Lemond and Where are they now ? issues were great.
Dan Souf
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get both.
I must admit to preferring the design/layout of Procycling + the whole feel of it is 'European', wheras Cycle Sport has a distinctly UK feel (which probably acts in both their favours).
Cycle Sport has the best 'retro' writer (is he here?). Wink
benlane
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get both also.

Given that both are monthly's and both are naturally going to cover upcoming events there is bound to be some crossover but they really are too similar.

I should cancel my subscription to one of them, if I did I would keep Procycling.

I should also cancel my comic subscription for the reasons we moan about regularly, but can't quite make the step to do so. I keep thinking they might do some decent reports of the UK race scene, but then am disappointed week after week.
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Procycling, end of.
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
Chris Sidwells
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan. Of course if you didn't mean me then b*ll*cks Dan Wink
Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get cycle sport, have done for many years. Read the first procycling when it came out wasn't that impressed. Cycle sport have been irritating me recently with articles on staff jollies and I have considered dropping the subscription, but I need something to read on the bog.
Dan Souf
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink
Scalatore
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got CycleSport from when it first came out back in, I think, 1993. I used love it especially Allan Pieper's stuff. Very quickly though it seemed to get very poor. The main big interview feature would turn out to be about four lines with the star and an awful lot of puff eitherside. And far too often it would contain factual errors. "So and so won the Paris Roubaix in year X" and I'm going, "no he didn't." As soon as ProCycling came out in 1999 I jumped ship and have never been back. Whether the competition has given Cyclesport a kick up the bum I don't know. Alas the damage has been done.
grahamn
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to get Cycleport on subscription till they changed their paper quality then half the time it was being damaged in the post so I cancelled and moved over to just buying procycling as and when I feel like it , much better than cyclesport in my opinion nowadays

I liked this months article on "where is Abdujaparov" , pity they didn`t actually find him though
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grahamn wrote:
I liked this months article on "where is Abdujaparov" , pity they didn`t actually find him though

they did though didn't they? Confused They actually spoke to him too
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megman wrote:
I get cycle sport, have done for many years. Read the first procycling when it came out wasn't that impressed. Cycle sport have been irritating me recently with articles on staff jollies and I have considered dropping the subscription, but I need something to read on the bog.

This is the reason I cancelled my subscription to CS - an 8 page piece on playing a computer game by Lionel Birnie or an article on how Lionel Birnie got drunk at a Belgian 'cross race or an article on how Lionel Birnie did the team manager thing for a group of testers at the Eindhoven Corporate TTT or how Lionel Birnie went on a Leo Sayer around London before the Tour last year.....
I like Lionel's stuff he writes on the CW website - he's perfect for that medium but to give so much over to that style of article writing in a pro-cycling (no pun intended) magazine? Er no thanks...
I'm not that keen on seeing Ellis (I've had too many) Bacon (sandwiches) chipping around famous climbs either in Procycling but at least he's actually riding a bike not pictured slobbing out with pizzas and beer .
windymiller
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I continually like CycleSport d rugs faux pas where they devote page after page praising the new clean stance that team/rider is making and then consequentially get caught. eg The T-Mobile issue last year.

I also enjoying the fascinating writings of Chris Sidwells, as Chris Roy told me to put that.

http://www.ioptix.co.uk
Stuart

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring back Winning!
Ste_S
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Souf wrote:
I get both.
I must admit to preferring the design/layout of Procycling + the whole feel of it is 'European', wheras Cycle Sport has a distinctly UK feel (which probably acts in both their favours).
Cycle Sport has the best 'retro' writer (is he here?). Wink

I really like Les Woodland in Procycling, should I get my coat ? Wink
Lee
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard wrote:
grahamn wrote:

they did though didn't they? Confused They actually spoke to him too

That was a great article. I was out with the band Abdou last Friday, who are mentioned in the article, it was quite amusing seeing Les (who has headlined Glasto and Reading amongst others), being totally made up that he'd got a mention in a cycling magazine.

I read them both but if I had to choose one it would be Pro-cycling.
one man army
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grahamn wrote:

Dastardly
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get both but on balance i prefer PC. I did like the bit this month where they stuck the knives in Visconti for his failure to perform - he subsequently spent 10 days or so in maglia rosa and was second yesterday Very Happy
May I present to you, the greatest breakthrough in travel since Sir Rodney Tricycle thought to himself, 'I'm bored of walking, i think i'll invent something with three wheels and a bell, and name it after myself.'
:The time machine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: