Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Impact of the Giro on the Tour

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Impact of the Giro on the Tour
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does Contadors DNS in the Tour de France devalue the race and eventual winner?
Yes, of course ASO should invite the best
61%
 61%  [ 30 ]
No the winner will get the kudos winning to Tour whoever he beats
38%
 38%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 49

mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Impact of the Giro on the Tour Reply with quote

Contador proves he is the best GT rider, does his non participation in the Tour de France devalue the race and eventual winner?
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think so. If they are to disqualify whole teams based on suspicions then I don't think any pro teams can start.
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tour is a circus, Contador not being there won't deter a single spectator from turning up. There will always be a question over who would have won if he had started though.
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The race makes the rider, not the other way around. Always has. Look at Raymond Poulidor, never once race leader, but famous just the same.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Rob of the Og
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Impact of the Giro on the Tour Reply with quote

mho wrote:
Contador proves he is the best GT rider, does his non participation in the Tour de France devalue the race and eventual winner?

But if Basso or Ullrich had also been given a free pass from Puerto then they'd be kicking him. If Valverde was still on his pre-Puerto programme then he'd be thrashing AC as well. And Evans may well have beaten him at the Tour last year without the attacking influence of Rassmussen. And Rass definitely would have beaten him if he hadn't been thrown out.

So Contador is the 'best GT rider' based on a completely arbitrary system where he gets away with links to dopage but others don't. And he wasn't exactly dominant at the Giro, at times seeming to rely on some of the smaller teams helping him out.

This year's Tour will be better off without Astana. You can say that you should kick the other teams out, but no other team has the sustained record of foul play that Astana/Liberty/Wuerth has. The real devalued Tours are all the years between 1996 and 2007 when virtually the entire top-10 of each year has been since discredited.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Impact of the Giro on the Tour Reply with quote

Rob of the Og wrote:
mho wrote:

But if Basso or Ullrich had also been given a free pass from Puerto then they'd be kicking him. If Valverde was still on his pre-Puerto programme then he'd be thrashing AC as well. And Evans may well have beaten him at the Tour last year without the attacking influence of Rassmussen. And Rass definitely would have beaten him if he hadn't been thrown out.

So Contador is the 'best GT rider' based on a completely arbitrary system where he gets away with links to dopage but others don't. And he wasn't exactly dominant at the Giro, at times seeming to rely on some of the smaller teams helping him out.

This year's Tour will be better off without Astana. You can say that you should kick the other teams out, but no other team has the sustained record of foul play that Astana/Liberty/Wuerth has. The real devalued Tours are all the years between 1996 and 2007 when virtually the entire top-10 of each year has been since discredited.

All subjective, because Contador is young and improving. How many riders would have beaten Lance at the age of 25, compared to how many would have beaten him at 30?

My cynical POV is that they are all at it, so why disqualify just one team?
Turismo
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Impact of the Giro on the Tour Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
All subjective, because Contador is young and improving. How many riders would have beaten Lance at the age of 25, compared to how many would have beaten him at 30?

Countering a subjective point with another subjective point? That's always going to be a sound analysis...

And ASO haven't disqualified Astana, they simply haven't invited them. Whether the Tour should feature the best riders in the world is a different matter, of course, but the fact that I've already been treated to this year's edition of a Bruyneel team boring its way to a GT victory means I won't be missing them too much at the Tour. From a fan's point of view, there's at least the prospect of an exciting, aggressive race in store, rather than a defensive minded team riding a Tour-by-numbers while idiot Americans fawn over them.
Rob of the Og
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Impact of the Giro on the Tour Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:

Whether he's the best in 5 years time is irrelevant. He's a great rider now, but looking artificially good because others were punished for something that he got away with. It's indisputable that Rass would have beaten him last summer. It's indisputable that Basso demolished a similar field in the Giro in 2006.

Tucker wrote:

Why would I, or why would ASO? Unfortunately, to ASO, this is all part of the power games they're playing with the UCI. Look on the internet and you'll find plenty of stories about the ways that previous Bruyneel teams cosied up to the UCI to make sure that their riders didn't test positive. It would be logical if ASO now wanted to use Astana as a proxy in the fight with the UCI. Of course it also helps them at least appear to be more serious about fighting dopage than the UCI.

I would leave them out because as a team they've consistantly taken the piss out of the sport for years now as Astana/Wuerth/Liberty-S.
Des

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Impact of the Giro on the Tour Reply with quote

Rob of the Og wrote:
[
I would leave them out because as a team they've consistantly taken the piss out of the sport for years now as Astana/Wuerth/Liberty-S.

But this is a different team, just the same sponsors. No you can allege as much as you like (subject to libel laws etc) about USP/ Disco/ 2008 Astana, but the fact remains that they do not have a record of failing dope tests, just a record of being winners in the GT's. Yet teams that have had a poor dopage record, but now claim to have cleaned up their act are still allowed to start. Confused

Now ho is hypocrisy spelt again? Rolling Eyes
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Impact of the Giro on the Tour Reply with quote

Turismo wrote:
Tucker wrote:

Countering a subjective point with another subjective point? That's always going to be a sound analysis...

And ASO haven't disqualified Astana, they simply haven't invited them. Whether the Tour should feature the best riders in the world is a different matter, of course, but the fact that I've already been treated to this year's edition of a Bruyneel team boring its way to a GT victory means I won't be missing them too much at the Tour. From a fan's point of view, there's at least the prospect of an exciting, aggressive race in store, rather than a defensive minded team riding a Tour-by-numbers while idiot Americans fawn over them.

Agree with all of this, but Contador is a rider who is certainly amongst the best GT racers in the world and would certainly be a contender for yellow - so whoever wins it in his absence wins IMHO a devalued Tour - that was the question I was answering.

As for Astana being a "dirty team", I agree their record is hardly great, but as long as they can field a team of riders who arent currently serving a ban, then I don't see how they are different from any other team.
Turismo
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Impact of the Giro on the Tour Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
Agree with all of this, but Contador is a rider who is certainly amongst the best GT racers in the world and would certainly be a contender for yellow - so whoever wins it in his absence wins IMHO a devalued Tour - that was the question I was answering.

That's certainly true.

It's all a bit of a minefield, since we're basing our judgement on perceived potential overall. We can't really argue that two of Lance Armstrong's Tour victories don't count because Jan Ullrich wasn't there, or indeed that Lance Armstrong's record is worthless because he didn't have to race against Merckx. It's not really the same thing, but losing a contender, even the previous year's winner, is often just part of the sport -- especially with the political and doping issues surrounding it at the time.

Personally, the Tour won't lose any value to me without Astana there. I'll watch it, enjoy it, possibly even write annoyed messages on here about whichever doper wins it. But I can definitely understand the other side of the argument.
canon dale
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for a different angle or two, as in all sport, Contador can only beat those that turn up on the day (invite or no invite). Also, I've been waiting for someone to say, "ahh, but he wins with no panache", the same way that LA was criticised for winning the GC without winning a stage.

Just think the kid can't win as you'll always have suspicion of some cheating in all pro-sports. If it isn't dopage it'll be diving a la footie, or stealing other team's designs as in GP racing, etc.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canon dale wrote:
Just think the kid can't win as you'll always have suspicion of some cheating in all pro-sports. If it isn't dopage it'll be diving a la footie, or stealing other team's designs as in GP racing, etc.

Not just pro sports - in all aspects of life. Human nature IMHO, which is why I've stopped worrying about it.
canon dale
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
canon dale wrote:

Not just pro sports - in all aspects of life. Human nature IMHO, which is why I've stopped worrying about it.

Very good point Tucker, I'll loose less sleep all round with that thought - there's always someone with an angle
snakeeater
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has mentioned the added equation that AC won the tdf when the previous winner was absent. I dont want to bring up the whole landis innocent/guilty argument thing up, but if they're all doing it then it makes contadors win even more devalued.
van eijden
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the point should be made that the TdF isn't everything.... most Italians or Spanish are more interested in the Giro / Vuelta. Winning any of the 3 major tours is a big deal and in many ways it wasn't until Lemond won the TdF that 'the media' egged on by the US media started to big up the Tour de France as the trace to win. For my money this years Giro was great especially Fridays stage 19.

Personally I think Astana should be riding the TdF.
http://vimeo.com/user2204933
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snakeeater wrote:
Nobody has mentioned the added equation that AC won the tdf when the previous winner was absent. I dont want to bring up the whole landis innocent/guilty argument thing up, but if they're all doing it then it makes contadors win even more devalued.

The previous winner was Oscar PEREIRO and he was present.
Birillo
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For my money this years Giro was great especially Fridays stage 19.

Personally I think Astana should be riding the TdF.

I agree. The Giro has been a better race than the Tour for several years now. It won't stop the Tour getting all the publicity though.
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Impact of the Giro on the Tour Reply with quote

mho wrote:

Do p er Rolling Eyes
MH
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Giro was excellent entertainment taken at face value, I enjoyed the couple of stages I saw. But it was also slightly depressing (or 'embarrassing' I think the Gazetta called it) - Ricco, Di Luca, Contador, the entire CSF team....just so blatant. At least High Road did well I guess....

But no Contador's abscence does not devalue the Tour - probably the opposite if anything

Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: