Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - UCI World Championships, Track, TT and Road. Great results!

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

UCI World Championships, Track, TT and Road. Great results!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Road & General Cycling)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should GBR be present at such Junior and Espoir events as a matter of course?
Yes
71%
 71%  [ 48 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 14 ]
don't know
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 67

Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: UCI World Championships, Track, TT and Road. Great results! Reply with quote

Well done to all the new World Champions at the UCI Junior World Championships held through this week and weekend. This will have been a brilliant introduction to many riders for international competition at the highest level for their age. These riders will be the ones going for gold at 2012 unless they can't dislodge the old guard from 2008.

http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI1/layout.asp?MenuId=MTU0NDU

Just the road races to go now.

XCO & BMX events held separately.

One thing I noticed, for a top cycling nation we don't seem to have any representation....Did I miss something?!
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.veloriders.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=71775

The president was on the other day and I PM'd him but no response.

Last edited by mho on Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your agenda Plurien?
Lee
World Champ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:

You mean you can't see it KJ?? Laughing Laughing Laughing

It's sad that just from the title and the name of the poster it was more than obvious that this thread would be yet another predictable anti BC boring/Evil or Very Mad/bullshit rant.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee wrote:
KJ wrote:

It's sad that just from the title and the name of the poster it was more than obvious that this thread would be yet another predictable anti BC boring/Evil or Very Mad/bullshit rant.

I wanted to see it spelled out!
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who bothered to click 'don't know'? Laughing
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:

Confused posters?
Lee
World Champ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
martin smith wrote:

Confused posters?

I clicked it, admittedly in response to martins post rather than out of genuine feeling.

For the record I think it's a disgrace that no riders have gone to the worlds.
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee wrote:
KJ wrote:
martin smith wrote:

Confused posters?

I clicked it, admittedly in response to martins post rather than out of genuine feeling.

No, probably a case of economics, focus on the Olympics and a case if it aint broke don't fix it. Our guys did the Europeans remember and that seems to be the BC way in the last few years.

It would be nice to have an explanation though.
Lee
World Champ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mho wrote:
Lee wrote:
KJ wrote:
martin smith wrote:

Confused posters?

No, probably a case of economics, focus on the Olympics and a case if it aint broke don't fix it. Our guys did the Europeans remember and that seems to be the BC way in the last few years.

Fair point. But i dont get economics as we are hardly skint these days and as for focussing on the olympics, just how many coaching staff do we have, surely a few could have been spared and a small squad sent??

Agree totally about the lack of an explanation though.
Pillion
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mho wrote:
Lee wrote:
KJ wrote:
martin smith wrote:

Confused posters?

There was an explanation...

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/gbr/News2008/20080115_ODP_Feature.asp

JJ
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta...
No wonder most of us had forgotten - announced in January. Smile Smile
dockeca
Div 2 Pro

Location: halfway up the South Downs - or halfway down the South Ups!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Lee means his comments with all good heart, but to say that there is plenty of money about and suggest some could be "spared", shows a failure to understand how funding works. It's effectively ring-fenced per part of the programme, so there is little or no "spare" money, everything spent has to be allocated and the funding bodies have to see reports which show where the money has been spent. If only it was easy to divert a few quid, it would, I'm sure have been done - but only to good effect, not simply for a "experience" trip.

"Any views expressed are entirely my own and not representative of any organisation of which I may or may not be a member. Unless I say otherwise."
"A Libertarian Crackpot" H.Peel
Pillion
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the comments here show a lack of understanding of what the GB team are trying to do. It isn't about junior world titles -- its about Olympic medals and preparing athletes for that goal. To that end, they are sending the juniors and under 23's to the Europeans which is very similar in terms of giving them expereince of a major competition whilst not wasting money and the tim eof the coaches who are other wise engaged in the Olympics.

Anyone who has followed the team will know that for the junior sprinters, that Iain Dyer and Jan van Eijden have both actively helped and trainied these riders and they are very busy with the Olympic athletes so do the team send the riders and coaches who don't have that expereince -- a waste of a trip really where as the Europeans they can do it properly.

Hence, I can quite easily see the logic of not sending the juniors to the worlds even though I expect many of them would love to go for the world title.

JJ
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee wrote:
KJ wrote:

Quite right. EUG in my opinion were found wanting on negotiating the Eastway replacement facility (luckily BC pulled this out of the hat), and now seem to be on some sort of face saving exercise.
Particularly galling is the fact that most of the Eastway promotions were under some mickey mouse organisation and not under BC rules, then as soon as the Olympics reared its head, everyone seemed to jump ship and plead with BC to rescue them, then seem keen to snipe at every given opportunity. Or am I wrong?

I'm a qualified coach.
JohnC
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Quite right. EUG in my opinion were found wanting on negotiating the Eastway replacement facility (luckily BC pulled this out of the hat), and now seem to be on some sort of face saving exercise.
Particularly galling is the fact that most of the Eastway promotions were under some mickey mouse organisation and not under BC rules, then as soon as the Olympics reared its head, everyone seemed to jump ship and plead with BC to rescue them, then seem keen to snipe at every given opportunity. Or am I wrong?

This from the guy who stated here that the temporary replacement would do as the legacy for road and off road. You have made this claim before Hans, and it has been dealt with in detail.

Regarding the Junior Worlds, we should be there (like 80+ other countries); if the UK governing body feels that it does not want to allocate resources, maybe we should try to facilitate sponsorship and volunteers next time.

I note the reasons of concentrating on senior Olympic track medals, but I am sure that sponsorship and volunteer coaches could have been put together if there was the will.
david123
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Lee wrote:
KJ wrote:

You mean you can't see it KJ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's sad that just from the title and the name of the poster it was more than obvious that this thread would be yet another predictable anti BC boring/:evil:/bullshit rant.

Particularly galling is the fact that most of the Eastway promotions were under some mickey mouse organisation and not under BC rules, then as soon as the Olympics reared its head, everyone seemed to jump ship and
plead with BC to rescue them, then seem keen to snipe at every given opportunity. Or am I wrong?

As usual, yes.
tommo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david123 wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Lee wrote:
KJ wrote:

Particularly galling is the fact that most of the Eastway promotions were under some mickey mouse organisation and not under BC rules, then as soon as the Olympics reared its head, everyone seemed to jump ship and
plead with BC to rescue them, then seem keen to snipe at every given opportunity. Or am I wrong?

As usual ,yes.
And thats another yes , the only thing that rings true with Hans is his extremely big nose or am i wrong ? F F S Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
david123
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stommos talking me, the other thing that Pans Peephole has got going for him is that he would have qualified for being in the Bee Gees original band.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnC wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:

This from the guy who stated here that the temporary replacement would do as the legacy for road and off road. You have made this claim before Hans, and it has been dealt with in detail.

correct, and you, Plurien and lapdog div-ed 123 were proved so wrong that it hurt. I stopped after a bit cos its like smacking a puppy, you can only have so much fun with little creatures.
Anyway, how did you get on when you stood for BC? Surely a better guide of cyclists opinion than my own

I'm a qualified coach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Road & General Cycling) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: