Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - UCI World Championships, Track, TT and Road. Great results!

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

UCI World Championships, Track, TT and Road. Great results!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Road & General Cycling)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should GBR be present at such Junior and Espoir events as a matter of course?
Yes
71%
 71%  [ 48 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 14 ]
don't know
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 67

david123
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Still, thanks to the behind the scenes efforts of BC, Hog Hill will soon be up and running.
Do you have any source for this information other than a source at BC? If so, would you care to say what it is?

His artse is the real sore sauce.

It gets more interestingly absurd as Pansitas fissy hit goes on, the TLI were largely unreliable in London for reasons that are obvious, some of it was fine, the thursday league had nothing to do with them other than that they were the insurers, possible co-promoters.

Since BC did the charm offensive at the 2005 AGM of the ESL I have rarely heard the words/letters TLI being mentioned. BC were willing to do anything they could to dislodge the TLI and I did not want them to succeed, mainly because the offer of an £8 weekly Thursday league race was not going to last. If we had known how we would be treated by BC a year later and to a degree therein after we would never have changed from TLI to BC. For the noninformed flower deranging ms/mrs fit to state otherwise is further proof of its tootal ignorance of the subject. Theres a lot I can say on the subject and I almost certainly will, when I feel like it and without any editing. Some people who are forced to apologise but finish same said apology with an insult, fail to realise that when the numbers are getting very crunchy indeed, those with long memories and an ability to tell the truth from the wreckless bullshit that is being spread for the sake of winning at all costs, those people will then surface and sink the same said liar without trace. So there will be no statues of you Im glad to say and if there is it will be like Thatchers, loved by artse holes wherever they hide, you know who you are, pop in for a debate when ever you feel brave enough, like never.
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I posted this
Quote:
Well done to all the new World Champions at the UCI Junior World Championships held through this week and weekend. This will have been a brilliant introduction to many riders for international competition at the highest level for their age. These riders will be the ones going for gold at 2012 unless they can't dislodge the old guard from 2008.

http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI1/layout.asp?MenuId=MTU0NDU

Just the road races to go now.

XCO & BMX events held separately.

One thing I noticed, for a top cycling nation we don't seem to have any representation....Did I miss something?!

...and look above to see what came out.

KJ - where's the anti-BC rant?

Back in Jan, as we know now, BC said of its ODP activities;-
Quote:
“the problem with the World Championships next season is they start two weeks before the holding camp for the Olympics and taking into account the programme is not just about results but also gaining valuable experience and knowledge, this could not be done without having the right coaches there with them and these coaches are unlikely to be available. This is one of the reasons why we have shifted more towards the Europeans being a major target and other international track races and road stage races for a further source of international experience.”

That's what I'd missed, obviously, but I suppose it's reasonable for some to rush to condemn for reason of the worst of misconceptions and then turn it into something else entirely.

It was interesting to see the way the votes went on this thread (7/10 think GBR should have been at the Worlds), so it is possible to put up a question and get an answer. There's been a good bit of debate. No harm in that at all.
Then it all went a bit off-topic as misconception went into overdrive. Just stick to the outcomes on that topic, if you like.

Hans: Please go back to the last thread where you had a go, but then you seemed to lose interest:-
http://www.veloriders.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=71527&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=29 - you were never heard from again on that one.
- The outrage you receive seems uniformly to come from people who know a lot more than you do about the statements and actions made in a particular campaign to protect the interests of cycle sport. As one key political figure noted at the time; - 'The really insidious part of this is how you are having to fight with the body that should be protecting you'. If this person was able to get straight to the then heart of things, then if massive 'internal debate' ensued over policy decisions and statements*, don't you think the weight of opinion and fact is against you?

Happy to be judged on outcomes as well as intentions. Call it an agenda if you like, but that sounds soo-oo vague to me when it's best to have your intentions and your outcomes in alignment.
- Something which BC knows a bit where medalling in other tourneys is concerned!

Things have changed A LOT since the early times, I'm personally pleased to say and anyhow, who cares how things are achieved, as long as they are achieved and as long as they are going to be as good for cyclesport? This may sound like expediency, but it certainly hasn't diminished in any way the amount of meetings and detail that has to be done in order to get it. This falls on us all - if we care enough to do something about it instead of just having a moan.

I can't remember the exact quote but it's something along the lines of 'a lot can be achieved by men, particularly when no one of them wishes to claim the credit for it'. People only moan when something's wrong and they're not prepared to do anything about it for themselves.

And last, Hans, no mention was made of the topic you raised before you brought up the matter of Eastway.
- Who's moaning here?!

Watch out for some opening ceremonies and events at Hog Hill, then for more announcements and plans on Legacy soon. Wonder how it was achieved if you like, but mainly just believe that it's happening.

*Just one example of many old contemptibles given here. http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/roa/News2005/20051007_eastway_relocation.asp

- name the topic and there will probably be something similar on Eastway, Rammey Marsh, Docklands, Hog Hill, Olympic legacy - each of which has had its own little skirmish in the battle to end the war with armistice due sometime in 2014.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plurien wrote:
blah.

any chance of a potted version?
well done BC, those in the know know who has delivered, despite others best efforts to sink the ship Cool

I'm a qualified coach.
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're wrong on the facts in so many ways you don't understand and have no intention of ever doing anything about anything to set it right - except moaning, Hans. You style yourself to be in a spade shop which somehow means you can't stand other people to be right about something so you have to revert to plain old ad hominem or hiding in your kind of patriotism as if this will progress anything at all related to the topic under discussion.
- Short enough for you? As if I care.

Since you construed the thread to be about Eastway, I don't think I've seen you at any meeting to do with the place, Tim, and as I recall when you were called out on that you said you live too far away to be bothered about visiting any of the sites on any kind of regular basis.
If I can be 'accused' of having an agenda I can ask: What's yours and why is it necessary for you to pursue it independently of any factual basis?
Justify or go take it out on something else.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plurien wrote:
Since you construed the thread to be about Eastway, I don't think I've seen you at any meeting to do with the place, Tim, and as I recall when you were called out on that you said you live too far away to be bothered about visiting any of the sites on any kind of regular basis..

I was a user of eastway from 1984 onwards. I don't remember seeing you either.
The comments you attribute to me are made up, well done you, the old dust in the air routine.
I'm quite happy to give praise where its due, so well done again BC, I'm proud to see the fantastic developments that have taken place and continue to take place under our governing body, both in terms of results and facilities Cool

I'm a qualified coach.
Witherwind
E, Bronze

Location: Fixing a puncture on the Bristol ring road cycle path, probably....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:37 am.

What on earth were you doing up at this time of the morning?!
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Witherwind wrote:
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:37 am.

What on earth were you doing up at this time of the morning?!

6:37am

I'm a qualified coach.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plurien wrote:
Well I posted this
Quote:
Well done to all the new World Champions at the UCI Junior World Championships held through this week and weekend. This will have been a brilliant introduction to many riders for international competition at the highest level for their age. These riders will be the ones going for gold at 2012 unless they can't dislodge the old guard from 2008.

http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI1/layout.asp?MenuId=MTU0NDU

Just the road races to go now.

XCO & BMX events held separately.

One thing I noticed, for a top cycling nation we don't seem to have any representation....Did I miss something?!

...and look above to see what came out.

KJ - where's the anti-BC rant?

Back in Jan, as we know now, BC said of its ODP activities;-
Quote:
“the problem with the World Championships next season is they start two weeks before the holding camp for the Olympics and taking into account the programme is not just about results but also gaining valuable experience and knowledge, this could not be done without having the right coaches there with them and these coaches are unlikely to be available. This is one of the reasons why we have shifted more towards the Europeans being a major target and other international track races and road stage races for a further source of international experience.”

That's what I'd missed, obviously, but I suppose it's reasonable for some to rush to condemn for reason of the worst of misconceptions and then turn it into something else entirely.

It was interesting to see the way the votes went on this thread (7/10 think GBR should have been at the Worlds), so it is possible to put up a question and get an answer. There's been a good bit of debate. No harm in that at all.
Then it all went a bit off-topic as misconception went into overdrive. Just stick to the outcomes on that topic, if you like.

Hans: Please go back to the last thread where you had a go, but then you seemed to lose interest:-
http://www.veloriders.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=71527&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=29 - you were never heard from again on that one.
- The outrage you receive seems uniformly to come from people who know a lot more than you do about the statements and actions made in a particular campaign to protect the interests of cycle sport. As one key political figure noted at the time; - 'The really insidious part of this is how you are having to fight with the body that should be protecting you'. If this person was able to get straight to the then heart of things, then if massive 'internal debate' ensued over policy decisions and statements*, don't you think the weight of opinion and fact is against you?

Happy to be judged on outcomes as well as intentions. Call it an agenda if you like, but that sounds soo-oo vague to me when it's best to have your intentions and your outcomes in alignment.
- Something which BC knows a bit where medalling in other tourneys is concerned!

Things have changed A LOT since the early times, I'm personally pleased to say and anyhow, who cares how things are achieved, as long as they are achieved and as long as they are going to be as good for cyclesport? This may sound like expediency, but it certainly hasn't diminished in any way the amount of meetings and detail that has to be done in order to get it. This falls on us all - if we care enough to do something about it instead of just having a moan.

I can't remember the exact quote but it's something along the lines of 'a lot can be achieved by men, particularly when no one of them wishes to claim the credit for it'. People only moan when something's wrong and they're not prepared to do anything about it for themselves.

And last, Hans, no mention was made of the topic you raised before you brought up the matter of Eastway.
- Who's moaning here?!

Watch out for some opening ceremonies and events at Hog Hill, then for more announcements and plans on Legacy soon. Wonder how it was achieved if you like, but mainly just believe that it's happening.

*Just one example of many old contemptibles given here. http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/roa/News2005/20051007_eastway_relocation.asp

- name the topic and there will probably be something similar on Eastway, Rammey Marsh, Docklands, Hog Hill, Olympic legacy - each of which has had its own little skirmish in the battle to end the war with armistice due sometime in 2014.

I didn't use the term 'rant'. I asked what your agenda was. If your lobbying was merely to get good and lasting facilities for your region I applaud your efforts, but you seem to have a more subversive political agenda. Having been brought up around Howard Peel and his activities I am naturally interested to clarify just what your long term aims are.

Last edited by KJ on Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
I was involved early on with EUG and can say that at that time BC's performance left much to be desired. IIRC BC were happy to accept Rammey Marsh, a vastly inferior venue to HH, and that it was EUG that brought HH into the frame.

Since that time I've had no involvement, so the building of HH I know knothing about.

There could have been a whole season of racing by now on Ramney Marsh, a wasted opportunity. There would have been continuity of racing, which would have kept a strong negotiating position on the legacy venue.
Ramney was only ever going to be temporary, when Hog Hill comes onstream, where is the impetus for the replacement Eastway going to be?
Luckily BC stepped into the breach and pulled out another temporary circuit at Ford, and are negotiating hard on the legacy circuit, albeit from an unneccessary back foot position

I'm a qualified coach.
JohnC
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans - you've done naff all. We lobbied hard for the replacement, to change it when Rammey Marsh was endorsed by BC, run the races at Ford, run the first races at Hog Hill and still lobbying to change the Legacy, having coughed up the money for £100+ an hour special-ist legal fees, at a time when BC did not want to object to the legacy.

The sound case that we presented by special-ist planning lawyers with Olympics experience forced a change in BC's position - they then had to object formally.

Thank God for cycle crazy committed people like us, who give up substantial amounts of time and money to ensure the future for young bikers.

I sponsor a cycle team, so I know to expect nothing in return - post your silly emails Hans, you are not even well enough briefed to do anything more than repeat inaccuracies that have been comprehensively rebutted before.

Gotta go - it's Tuesday so it must be Hillingdon.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£100 per hour lawyers? Buy cheap, buy twice...
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:

Well, if you are going to balls up massively, may as well do it in style.

I'm a qualified coach.
nettie biker
Div 3 Pro

Location: Struggling to keep all the balls in the air.............

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:

£100 per hour - not enough by half!!!
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no balls-up on the side of the users.
It wasn't bc - it was someone in another cycling organisation all together - that got the use of Dunton. BC came in on that and welcome.
It was me that signed the agreement of 19 May 2006 to get the temporary circuit at Docklands after cross-examination of Seb Coe in the planning inquiry. It was users that got the right to a relocation to Hog Hill instead of Rammey Marsh, as decided in a public consultation re-opened by the users and agreed in the undertaking given by LDA. Further it was EUG which set in train the politicking to get the LDA to commit to actually opening Hog Hill this Spring.

You'll have to look up others' smalls for the balls. One mighty one was the support lent by BC to the totally inappropriate and completely stupid easy-fix solution for a relocation to Rammey Marsh on land which wasn't even owned by the people you were told held it. We also found it to be one of the heaviest polluted sites around, on a dangerous and smoggy site where you can't hear your own rasping breath.
- Read comments on the concerns for our athletes in Beijing and marvel that Rammey could ever have come into consideration.

Remember you can apply for planning permission on any patch of land, irrespective of ownership. Getting approved schemes built is another matter entirely, which was another reason to prefer the Hog Hill site where we had carefully qualified the tenant and the freeholder, as well as the local authority.
Oh yes, it was the users that did that too. And it was the users which secured the first principle of a right to relocation where previously a scheme might have been agreed which included no interim provision for road and off-road. This was all argued in open meetings with the developer and in the face of BCs opposition to just about any idea from users.

Putting up with the facts and shutting up about the lies is probably the best thing you could do Hans if you want to stop BC being kicked for things it did wrong. Users stopped doing that a while ago and only bring it up when the history is in danger of being sanitised. That BC can do things right now is only a result of the battles it lost and the changes it's made since. They moved on. So did we. Time for you to do the same now?

BTW, if you are committed to doing something for your sport, and if you think that Rammey is so good as a site, you can obtain permission from the Lee Valley Park for access to its part of the site at Rammey Marsh.

We can help by putting you in contact with a very active group of concerned local residents who will be able to tell you in great detail some of what went into the landfill there. They would greatly welcome the establishment of any youth amenity in an area where even a hall for meetings cannot be found. There's no school, no GP no dentist yet there are regular applications for hundreds more houses on the site at Enfield Lock. Despite their urgent and very pressing need for youth animation and activities, the residents were not able to support any application for any kind of recreational activity on Rammey that would potentially bring their children into contact with any of the earth on the site. Many councillors agreed too.
- Any local knowledge you may have about the site could be as cursory as those who thunder past it so close on the M25.

Of course, Hans, you would be most welcome as far as I'm concerned to take all your training off-road on the site exactly as it is now, but why not do an EUG thing and go the extra mile...
You could get a clean-up of the site according to the regulated means which was estimated at several million cubic meters of earth being removed and more being imported after the laying of an impermeable membrane. The uncertainties of this alone meant the relocation would have eventually been doomed, but conveniently this could have been 'discovered' after the commitment was made. Oh yes, there were few awkward questions about that because it seemed we were the only ones in our sport willing to ask.

So let's have a look at what you could have won, Hans.
You made no judgement, you lost nothing, yet you sit on the sidelines and cast a jaundiced eye over the work that's been done, assuming that only good can come from your NGB and that only bad comes from people who you didn't know because you weren't a regular at Eastway since when exactly?
Wise up.
And don't get me started on the legacy, because that's looking like it's coming good after a very long time when various dastardly schemes and unsuitable palliatives were being foist on users by....

If you can't do that for yourself you're probably best off staying away from Hog Hill as the shock of seeing how good a cycle facility can be might not be good for your world-view when you realise that without the users' assertions and actions there would be no facility anywhere at all, or a thing on Rammey that nobody - apart from you - actually would ever have used. Without some of BC it probably would have been about the same, only a bit quicker in coming. Without the newts we'd be riding there now (har har)!

Our agenda - to secure facilities to replace Eastway during and after the Games without any being lost in the meantime.
- On mission and on time, bar a few shenanigans that we only allowed to lead to delays.

Sorry this was a long one, but the really inconvenient thing about facts is that they have to be set out and explained. If you think you've heard all this before, well so should Hans have remembered it. Then there would have been no need to set it all off again.

So, back to the topic which is actually about getting riders to major events where they can develop as individuals within a squad.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plurien wrote:
Putting up with the facts and shutting up about the lies is probably the best thing you could do Hans if you want to stop BC being kicked for things it did wrong. Users stopped doing that a while ago and only bring it up when the history is in danger of being sanitised. That BC can do things right now is only a result of the battles it lost and the changes it's made since. They moved on. So did we. Time for you to do the same now? .

sums up the EUG for me, talking about battles with BC, more of an ego thing ain't it. Lies? everything I've put down has been factual dear Plurien, I have no agenda.
Tell you what, if you and John C stop posting these new anti-BC nonsense threads on Junior worlds and MTB selections, then I won't feel the need to remind the world exactly who dug who out of a big big hole.
did you know John C sponsors a cycle team btw? He might not have mentioned that.
Anyway, deep breath, that trumpet of yours won't blow itself.
Let tommo back on

I'm a qualified coach.
JohnC
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note how Hans declines to enter into any reasoning for his accusations. It's easy to write just a couple of lines repeating yourself without evidence or analysis.

Yes, we do run a successful team and the successful company that sponsors it, plus do stuff like this for cycling. You need the same approach for something like getting a good replacemernt for Eastway - act, react, keep a focus and don't be put off.

Contrast what we have actually DONE with Hans's lazy contribution to this debate. You'll have to do better Hans. I'll think of you next time I'm driving past Junc 25 on the M25, look over and imagine you riding round at Rammy Marsh. It'll bring a smile to my face.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnC wrote:
Note how Hans declines to enter into any reasoning for his accusations. It's easy to write just a couple of lines repeating yourself without evidence or analysis.

Yes, we do run a successful team and the successful company that sponsors it, plus do stuff like this for cycling. You need the same approach for something like getting a good replacemernt for Eastway - act, react, keep a focus and don't be put off.

Contrast what we have actually DONE with Hans's lazy contribution to this debate. You'll have to do better Hans. I'll think of you next time I'm driving past Junc 25 on the M25, look over and imagine you riding round at Rammy Marsh. It'll bring a smile to my face.

Note how John and Plurien make a lot of stuff up, then try bluster and bullpoop to cover their tracks.
Better still, drive past j25 and think of the lost season of racing and the weakened legacy.
Then google the results of the election to BC board to see if my view is shared in the wider cycling community.

I'm a qualified coach.
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when you're riding round Hog Hill - as anyone's free to do shortly - just think how it really came about and try to imagine what there would be for you to enjoy without the users' achievements by comparison with what any other organisation had prior agreement to accept.
Won't it be marvellous for you to have the opportunity to invite people along to a facility. You'll appreciate the benefit of having such a place just the same as those who actually did stuff to get it.
And we don't care: Just don't think the things will always stay the same and remember that 'your sport' is also 'our sport'.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plurien wrote:
And when you're riding round Hog Hill - as anyone's free to do shortly - just think how it really came about and try to imagine what there would be for you to enjoy without the users' achievements by comparison with what any other organisation had prior agreement to accept.
Won't it be marvellous for you to have the opportunity to invite people along to a facility. You'll appreciate the benefit of having such a place just the same as those who actually did stuff to get it.
And we don't care: Just don't think the things will always stay the same and remember that 'your sport' is also 'our sport'.

What's that supposed to mean?
dockeca
Div 2 Pro

Location: halfway up the South Downs - or halfway down the South Ups!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rarely does one read such bitterness, you would think that we all were not in the same sport, and most of us trying just to do our best.
Drop it, guys, what's done is over, and get on with the racing.
Want to do politics, then get elected to the board. The purpose of which, for any candodate, should be to do some good fro the sport and not chuck blame about.
If you want to see what bitterness and pig-headedness can do, look back to the 50's NCU/BLRC fight, and what problems it has brought the sport, even through to today (TLI, etc.). The old British tradition of "I don't like your rules so I'm taking my ball away and making up rules of my own", instead of getting changes from the inside and making contributions.
That sort of nonsense should never happen again.

"Any views expressed are entirely my own and not representative of any organisation of which I may or may not be a member. Unless I say otherwise."
"A Libertarian Crackpot" H.Peel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Road & General Cycling) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: