Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Well set up bike vs Expensive bike

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Well set up bike vs Expensive bike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Road & General Cycling)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What bike would you rather have?
£1500+ bike set up badly
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
-£1000 bike set up very well
79%
 79%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 29

B_Ugli
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Well set up bike vs Expensive bike Reply with quote

I have seen some really expensive bikes set up really badly in my time and some not so expensive bikes set up really well.

By this I mean positioning, attention to detail (i.e cabling, bar tape etc,gear tweaking), and the use of old/obsolete but perfectly working components.

Is it me or is the art of putting together a really nice bike for £800-£1000 a dying art? Or is it that people have forgotten the skill of using a toolkit rather than leaving it to the bike shop?
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have the £1500 bike thanks, then set it up myself.

Where do I collect it from?

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
I'll have the £1500 bike thanks, then set it up myself.

is the correct answer.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And since when was £1500 an 'expensive' bike?

Might make a hole in the bank balance, but hardly expensive.

It's the £3, 4 and 5 grand bikes with gears that don't work, saddles on cock eyed, unuseable brakes and so on that make me cringe.

Try suggesting to someone that that isn't quite how a qr is mean to be tightened, and get ready for the barrage of abuse.
B_Ugli
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
It's the £3, 4 and 5 grand bikes with gears that don't work, saddles on cock eyed, unuseable brakes and so on that make me cringe.

Try suggesting to someone that that isn't quite how a qr is mean to be tightened, and get ready for the barrage of abuse.

Are these the same chaps that take 10 minutes to get their rear wheel off and tyre off when puncturing until in the end you say "give it here" and 2 minutes later you are on your way again. BTW £1500 was a hypothetical figure for illustrative purposes only Rolling Eyes
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B_Ugli wrote:
mattr wrote:

Are these the same chaps that take 10 minutes to get their rear wheel off and tyre off when puncturing until in the end you say "give it here" and 2 minutes later you are on your way again.

Yup.

B_Ugli wrote:
BTW £1500 was a hypothetical figure for illustrative purposes only Rolling Eyes

I did guess, but couldn't help myself, it wasn't really a very good figure for your target audience tho Wink
Iain Bonsall
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:

It is for someone that may be new to cycling or just on a shoestring budget, every time someone asks me about cycling and how much a bike costs, they're usual response to ''they CAN cost anything from £1000+ in some cases'' is always ''ooh, that's expensive''.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain Bonsall wrote:
mattr wrote:

It is for someone that may be new to cycling or just on a shoestring budget, every time someone asks me about cycling and how much a bike costs, they're usual response to ''they CAN cost anything from £1000+ in some cases'' is always ''ooh, that's expensive''.

not that many on here new to cycling are there?

and £1000 to a non-cyclist is usually 'you could get a car for that'
Halfords is their spiritual home, or Hawk factory sales.
wobbly
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B_Ugli wrote:
mattr wrote:

Are these the same chaps that take 10 minutes to get their rear wheel off and tyre off when puncturing until in the end you say "give it here" and 2 minutes later you are on your way again. BTW £1500 was a hypothetical figure for illustrative purposes only Rolling Eyes

Laughing Laughing B_Ugli you just struck a chord !
mate in my club has fancy BMC/Dura-Ace. I once took his wheels out to get in the boot as we were going to ride a distant col. When we got there, he put front wheel in, then tipped bike upside down on grass to try and get back wheel in - we watched him get caked in oil ( hands and t-shirt ) before I said "Give it here and go clean yourself up - you muppet" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing
benlane
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wobbly wrote:
B_Ugli wrote:
mattr wrote:

Laughing Laughing B_Ugli you just struck a chord !
mate in my club has fancy BMC/Dura-Ace. I once took his wheels out to get in the boot as we were going to ride a distant col. When we got there, he put front wheel in, then tipped bike upside down on grass to try and get back wheel in - we watched him get caked in oil ( hands and t-shirt ) before I said "Give it here and go clean yourself up - you muppet" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing

I am often amazed how many people at races have this odd desire to turn their bike upside down to put the wheels in.
billyam998
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlane wrote:

I am often amazed how many people at races have this odd desire to turn their bike upside down to put the wheels in.

Could this be because their bike fettling skills have not moved on much since childhood days?
They obviously don't mind damaged hoods, and possibly if they forget it squished computer.