Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Cyclists' Breakfast

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Cyclists' Breakfast
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Road & General Cycling)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which is preferable
Nothing, but having a bacon roll on arrival at work post ride.
16%
 16%  [ 13 ]
Porridge and an optional poached egg on toast, pre-ride to work
83%
 83%  [ 64 ]
Total Votes : 77

maddog
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s e x, breakfast of champions Wink
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
John McC wrote:
Furthermore, riding to work on an empty stomach with low blood sugar levels is asking for trouble.
In what regard?
Blood sugar concentration, or glucose level, is tightly regulated in the human body. Normally, the blood glucose level is maintained between about 4 and 6 mM (mmol). The normal blood glucose level is about 90mg/100ml, which works out to 5mM/L (mmol/l), since the molecular weight of glucose, C6H12O6, is about 180 g/mol daltons. The total amount of glucose in circulating blood is therefore about 3.3 to 7g (assuming an ordinary *CENSORED* blood volume of 5 liters, plausible for an average *CENSORED* male). Glucose levels rise after meals for an hour or two by a few grams and are usually lowest in the morning, before the first meal of the day.

Failure to maintain blood glucose in the normal range leads to conditions of persistently high (hyperglycemia) or low (hypoglycemia) blood sugar. Diabetes mellitus, characterized by persistent hyperglycemia from any of several causes, is the most prominent disease related to failure of blood sugar regulation.
You describe a condition that - strangely enough - I know a bit about. But that isn't 'trouble', of course. What bad thing would you expect to happen? Something minor, like hunger knock, or major, like crashing, or what?

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
John McC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding on an empty stomach isn't such a good idea because you are depleting your body of carbs, protein and essential fats needed to fuel the ride and recover from it. To lose weight you basically eat less and exercise, but if you can not fuel the exercise all sort of things can happen, you could bonk out, your sugar levels could drop (not so clever for a diabetic) and it could hinder your recovery from that ride, all these things have a knock on effect on what you do now and an hour later, 2 hours later and the next day, eventually your body will either stop working properly or you will binge eat, or eat everything in sight which is counter productive. To lose weight the clever way, you eat more often but overall eat less amount.

Then there is the balance of foods we need to eat to lose weight/fat or maintain a healthy life style, porridge alone contains some good slow release carbs, but the body also needs protein and essential fats too. It all amounts to healthy diet, feel good factor and energy required to function and exercise.

Last edited by John McC on Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog wrote:

How many times do you need reminding, its only called that when somebody else is involved? Rolling Eyes

I'm a qualified coach.
maddog
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
maddog wrote:

How many times do you need reminding, its only called that when somebody else is involved? Rolling Eyes

nothing wrong with spending a bit of quality time with yourself Wink
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Riding on an empty stomach isn't such a good idea because you are depleting your body of carbs, protein and essential fats needed to fuel the ride and recover from it.
Are you suggesting that people should eat their porridge then wait awhile for it to digest before riding? If you ride to work a few minutes after eating, how is having eaten going to affect your body's workings on that ride? I'm assuming here a 20-50 minute ride, not 2-3 hours. I would imagine - correct me if I'm wrong - that the body would take that long to react and that eating/not eating would make no difference.
Quote:
To lose weight you basically eat less and exercise, but if you can not fuel the exercise all sort of things can happen, you could bonk out, your sugar levels could drop (not so clever for a diabetic) and it could hinder your recovery from that ride,
Why is low blood sugar particularly bad for a diabetic? BTW I have never bonked out on a ride to work.
Quote:
all these things have a knock on effect on what you do now and an hour later, 2 hours later and the next day, eventually your body will either stop working properly or you will binge eat, or eat everything in sight which is counter productive.
None of those things happen to me.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
BigRobJef
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB wrote:
Porridge, but with either honey and a chopped banana or mixed berries for me Very Happy

my goodness I had exactly the same this morning!
Broken Bones
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigRobJef wrote:
BB wrote:
Porridge, but with either honey and a chopped banana or mixed berries for me Very Happy

my goodness I had exactly the same this morning!

Great minds Very Happy
fatface
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either breakfast OR ride to work.

Not enough time for both.

Don't need breakfast unless you are caining it. IMHO.
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psp22.
Steve D-T
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porridge - normally about 60g - then a good rodgering with the missus. Then as soon as she goes out the front door I'll get the bacon sandwiches started.

Follow this plan and you too could be as good as me.
Whippet
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have had the advantage of reading the posts of my noble and learned friends. my answer to this question turns on the fact that i would rather be malnourished than eat porridge. it's a disgusting mush that should be sent to the 1950s. a bacon roll would be nice, but on the other hand i'd like to eat before riding to work (since i normally start on lunch at about half ten when i'm in the office, this is a 'both' rather than an either/or).

i vote bacon roll, but for different reasons to everyone else, who appear to be taking porridge seriously as a foodstuff.
John McC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wouldn't bother with the breakfast thread, the likes of Roy and others are idiots

Sent to me by PM. Surprised
dimasobike
E, Silver

Location: Rolling a cheese, wearing a bear suit, sat in a wicker sofa.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dust
Broken Bones
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimasobike wrote:
Dust

Laughing what, like mites or summat?
special guest star
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve D-T wrote:
Porridge - normally about 60g - then a good rodgering with the missus. Then as soon as she goes out the front door I'll get the bacon sandwiches started.

Follow this plan and you too could be as good as me.

well I'd have to see what your missus is like first ...... Smile
Will Scarlet
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunchy Nut Cornflakes for me, whilst my Elite racer son goes for either Beans on Toast or Muesli or both.
brixtonbiker66
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing for me in the morning...

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/training-running-on-empty-18071
ColT
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whippet wrote:
i have had the advantage of reading the posts of my noble and learned friends. my answer to this question turns on the fact that i would rather be malnourished than eat porridge. it's a disgusting mush that should be sent to the 1950s. a bacon roll would be nice, but on the other hand i'd like to eat before riding to work (since i normally start on lunch at about half ten when i'm in the office, this is a 'both' rather than an either/or).

i vote bacon roll, but for different reasons to everyone else, who appear to be taking porridge seriously as a foodstuff.

Try Sainsbury's Taste the Difference porridge. Bloody luverly. Not at all mushy. Very Happy
dockeca
Div 2 Pro

Location: halfway up the South Downs - or halfway down the South Ups!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before the old war wound atarted plating up, I used to run every morning for up to 30 minutes. The routine was up, visit to the little room, having emptied, kit on and straight out. Oddly not hungry on returning until after the shower, then just some toast. In a year of running (including a few 10k's, half marathon for fun(!!), etc) I lost 12 kg and people began to think I was ill!

"Any views expressed are entirely my own and not representative of any organisation of which I may or may not be a member. Unless I say otherwise."
"A Libertarian Crackpot" H.Peel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Road & General Cycling) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: