Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - When should I start training?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

When should I start training?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Road & General Cycling)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

When should I start training?
Straight away
27%
 27%  [ 21 ]
Next week
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Next month
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
Next year
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
Never, just give up cos it's pointless.
51%
 51%  [ 39 ]
Total Votes : 76

Odge
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XCanaanX wrote:
Just do what I do - ride 3 or 4 hours every day, usually more on the weekends. 7 days a week, 365 days a year - Xmas days, wedding aniversaries and on holidays abroad too. Ride big gears - unless you are riding fixed, and then you should do stupidly hilly rides anyway. Do this as a minimum and you will end as good as me.

Alternatively - you could get some proper advice from Legro and stop being such a knacker like me.

You forgot to toot the missus on a daily basis and consume enough bacon sarnies to keep the Lincolnshire pig farmers happy for a year
Steve D-T
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odge wrote:
XCanaanX wrote:
Just do what I do - ride 3 or 4 hours every day, usually more on the weekends. 7 days a week, 365 days a year - Xmas days, wedding aniversaries and on holidays abroad too. Ride big gears - unless you are riding fixed, and then you should do stupidly hilly rides anyway. Do this as a minimum and you will end as good as me.

Alternatively - you could get some proper advice from Legro and stop being such a knacker like me.

You forgot to toot the missus on a daily basis and consume enough bacon sarnies to keep the Lincolnshire pig farmers happy for a year

The bike comes first remember. Everything else is icing.
legro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
legro wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
legro wrote:
Roy is in denial Razz
of what?
I will let the others tell you, that way you wont think I'm having a dig at you Razz
Very Happy Dig as much as you like, Dave; I have many faults, but excessive pride isn't one of them. Anyway, if I'm doing something fundamentally wrong I want to know about it.

My objectived in cycling are to maintain health and fitness, have a bit of fun, maybe ride fast if I can.

Very Happy 8pm. Dinner soon. I'm hungry.

Roy, on the one hand you say you would like to get better, on the other hand you are quite happy to maintain fitness and have a bit of fun

I'm happy for you to do what ever you want to do, but you give out mixed messages.
You want to know if you are doing something fundamentally wrong. I have told you, and you brush it aside.

Eating late at night is not healthy dispite you getting away with it for years, your diet is crap dispite your efforts convincing yourself it's ok. Too much alcohol is not good either. All these factors are cause of effect to why you have not improved or go any faster.

I personally would love you to go faster and ride better overall, just like you would. As I said, you are in denial Razz

Roy Gardiner wrote:
So I ride all year round, sort of. But I still don't get any better Sad <<<<<note the sad face

Fear leads to anger....Anger leads to Stress......Stress leads to Doobies...and Doobies leads to Twinkies

The spirit of Brian must live on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wozza
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legro wrote:
he needs to come to calshot

He should've done, like me Embarassed Honestly on the back of Calshot and riding both track and TT's this season i have had a really enjoyable season and felt my fitness levels really creep up a notch, so much so that i am to receive a most improved newcomers award at my club din dins Razz

Plus the fact that i am totally addicted to track Cool Very Happy .
legro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that reminds me Woz, I forgot to invoice you, well reminded

Fear leads to anger....Anger leads to Stress......Stress leads to Doobies...and Doobies leads to Twinkies

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wozza wrote:
legro wrote:
he needs to come to calshot

He should've done, like me Embarassed Honestly on the back of Calshot and riding both track and TT's this season i have had a really enjoyable season and felt my fitness levels really creep up a notch, so much so that i am to receive a most improved newcomers award at my club din dins Razz

Plus the fact that i am totally addicted to track Cool Very Happy .

Nice one Woz.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Wozza
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legro wrote:
that reminds me Woz, I forgot to invoice you, well reminded

huuh Shocked Sad . Was that for the phone conversation? Laughing
legro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shhhhh stum

Wozza
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legro wrote:
shhhhh stum

Ohhh err yeah 5 hit - sorry Embarassed I forgot the little Horkesley spies are on here.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legro wrote:
Roy, on the one hand you say you would like to get better, on the other hand you are quite happy to maintain fitness and have a bit of fun

I'm happy for you to do what ever you want to do, but you give out mixed messages.
OK. Thanks for coming back on this.

Unmixed messages

1. I cycle for basic health, weight control, some fitness.
2. I would like to be fast; but realistically I don't think I'm prepared for the commitment.

Quote:
You want to know if you are doing something fundamentally wrong. I have told you, and you brush it aside.

Eating late at night is not healthy dispite you getting away with it for years, your diet is crap dispite your efforts convincing yourself it's ok.
I have read a great deal about eating, and the time of day thing is as far as I know discredited. The same people who argue that weight gain or loss is a simple calories in/out equation (remember them) are generally the same people who say 'don't eat late'. Huh?

But as to what I eat, I'll defend that - in fact, I don't remember posting anything on which anyone could base an opinion that it's crap.

Today.
10.00am wholemeal baguette, bacon, 3 rashers.
12.00 salad; leaves, beansprouts, some pasta, celery, some small number of croutons, prawns. Big helping! Afters; 2 oranges
19.00 snack; cheese & tomatoes sliced.
20.15. Seared salmon, brocolli, green beans, baked tomatoes, small portion mashed spuds.

Quote:
Too much alcohol is not good either.
True; but the bottle of wine a day = same risk as TT is not blx, AFAIK. I'd imagine that it's not good for a racing cyclist to drink that much - but that's one of the trade-offs.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
legro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm outta here

RicStern
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
legro wrote:

OK. Thanks for coming back on this.

Unmixed messages

1. I cycle for basic health, weight control, some fitness.
2. I would like to be fast; but realistically I don't think I'm prepared for the commitment.

Quote:

Eating late at night is not healthy dispite you getting away with it for years, your diet is crap dispite your efforts convincing yourself it's ok.
I have read a great deal about eating, and the time of day thing is as far as I know discredited. The same people who argue that weight gain or loss is a simple calories in/out equation (remember them) are generally the same people who say 'don't eat late'. Huh?

But as to what I eat, I'll defend that - in fact, I don't remember posting anything on which anyone could base an opinion that it's crap.

Today.
10.00am wholemeal baguette, bacon, 3 rashers.
12.00 salad; leaves, beansprouts, some pasta, celery, some small number of croutons, prawns. Big helping! Afters; 2 oranges
19.00 snack; cheese & tomatoes sliced.
20.15. Seared salmon, brocolli, green beans, baked tomatoes, small portion mashed spuds.

Quote:
Too much alcohol is not good either.
True; but the bottle of wine a day = same risk as TT is not blx, AFAIK. I'd imagine that it's not good for a racing cyclist to drink that much - but that's one of the trade-offs.

i think i'm one of the people you refer to (calories in/out). i dont believe i've ever told you not to eat late at night (i don't believe it makes any difference and don't know of any data to suggest otherwise).

ric
legro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

alexc
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother mate, you cant polish a tur d. Wink
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RicStern wrote:
i think i'm one of the people you refer to (calories in/out). i dont believe i've ever told you not to eat late at night (i don't believe it makes any difference and don't know of any data to suggest otherwise).

ric
I hadn't meant you and I apologise for it being taken that way, I don't recall you saying so either.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Big-C
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
RicStern wrote:

ric
I hadn't meant you and I apologise for it being taken that way, I don't recall you saying so either.

drink ~ 2 bottle of wine a night and cycling will become a non-issue ... Wink
david123
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big-C wrote:
legro wrote:
Royston

no structure to your training
bad diet
eating too late at night
too much vino

could be some of the reasons you don't improve :P

speaking as a trained alcoholic, I'd say that there isn't enough wine in Royston's daily intake

I also trained heavily but failed or passed, I'm not sure which.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

22% Straight away
4% Next week
7% Next month
11% Next year
54% Never, just give up cos it's pointless.

Fair enough, anyone want to buy any kit? Road bikes, track bikes, mountain bike, loads of wheels.

£5k the lot.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
bigB
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: When should I start training? Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Not that keen at the moment to be honest cos its dark and wet and I'm a big poof. What do you reckon?

6 weeks before you want to race.
Wozza
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
22% Straight away
4% Next week
7% Next month
11% Next year
54% Never, just give up cos it's pointless.

Fair enough, anyone want to buy any kit? Road bikes, track bikes, mountain bike, loads of wheels.

£5k the lot.

Can i have your track bikes ? Twisted Evil Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Road & General Cycling) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: