Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - gym ball

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

gym ball
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acj
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: gym ball Reply with quote

any one use one?
if so what are the best exercise's to do on them Rolling Eyes
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you take it to the recycling centre, run with it rather than walk

I'm a qualified coach.
Odge
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one twice a week. The best place to look is youtube under "swiss ball" to see the types of exercises you can do. Even simply sitting on a correctly sized and properly inflated Swiss Ball (feet off the floor) for 30mins whilst watching TV will help your core stability. I've even taken it to work to try sitting on it for a day Shocked
It can be used in so many different exercises with or without weights. It's a very valuable bit of kit imo.
IIRC Bobby Julich has/had one which he would use after stages in races.
I know Ric Stern says core stability has no place in cycling but Monk said something very insightful years ago - that as cyclists most of us will struggle to fit in (up to) 14hrs a week training. However, we all do full time jobs that take up around 40hrs (+) to which we pay very little attention as to how we sit at the desk. We spend loads of money on bike bits to get our fit just right but we neglect to spend any time to get our desk chair / monitor height set up properly which can cause more back / neck problems which we carry over into cycling. Far better to get your workstation position sorted first and your basic posture - Pilates anyone?
Big-C
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: gym ball Reply with quote

acj wrote:
any one use one?
if so what are the best exercise's to do on them Rolling Eyes

Professionally speaking, "swiss" balls, are on the whole a gimmick. I hardly ever use one during the course of my work (except to sit on occassionally when teaching).

I think a lot of people get core stability and core strength mixed up. All a swiss ball" will do is provide an unstable surface. that in itself will not make you stronger. just better at impersonating a sea-lion.
Big-C
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odge wrote:
I use one twice a week. The best place to look is youtube under "swiss ball" to see the types of exercises you can do. Even simply sitting on a correctly sized and properly inflated Swiss Ball (feet off the floor) for 30mins whilst watching TV will help your core stability. I've even taken it to work to try sitting on it for a day Shocked
It can be used in so many different exercises with or without weights. It's a very valuable bit of kit imo.
IIRC Bobby Julich has/had one which he would use after stages in races.
I know Ric Stern says core stability has no place in cycling but Monk said something very insightful years ago - that as cyclists most of us will struggle to fit in (up to) 14hrs a week training. However, we all do full time jobs that take up around 40hrs (+) to which we pay very little attention as to how we sit at the desk. We spend loads of money on bike bits to get our fit just right but we neglect to spend any time to get our desk chair / monitor height set up properly which can cause more back / neck problems which we carry over into cycling. Far better to get your workstation position sorted first and your basic posture - Pilates anyone?

I know Ric, and at no time have I hard him say "core strength has no place in cycling" In fact, I work with one of his coaches on exactly that topic.
GZA
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awareness of your own body is perhaps the most useful part of a decent pilates program delivered by someone such as my man above. Maintaining a sustainable hip rotation coupled with learning to support your spine with your 'core strength' is the desired outcome - you can get there by many different roads but it's best to be advised on your needs by someone who can draw from knowledge of understanding of the subject from first principles. Rather than YouTube Wink and anyone who sits on a bike will benefit from such a program.

RSTs line on weights, that is being confused here, is that a weights program will not increase performance in endurance events compared to a properly designed aerobic conditioning program.
Mr Average
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but weights and core strength can all help cycling endurance performance. just ask the gb track team.

and they can stop your average cyclist looking like montgomery burns at the age of 25.
jmaccyd
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Average wrote:

and they can stop your average cyclist looking like montgomery burns at the age of 25.

Eeeeexcellent!
smudge100
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak form experience but I have suffered with back pain for two years. This year a sports rehab guy has introduced me to a swiss ball. At the start I I thought it was poo but now I can kneel on the ball an do bicep curls throw a medicine ball etc etc.

So what I heat you ask well it means that my core has got stronger and anything that makes you stronger means I can push the pedals harder without sideways weakness.

It is hard but I am impressesed

Euro. It's not an origin or place of manufacturing. It's a style or an essence." S.A.H
Broken Bones
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubbish while you are in labour...I mean who wants to balnace on an over inflated ball at the crucial moment Rolling Eyes
Max Drury
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smudge100 wrote:
I can only speak form experience but I have suffered with back pain for two years. This year a sports rehab guy has introduced me to a swiss ball. At the start I I thought it was poo but now I can kneel on the ball an do bicep curls throw a medicine ball etc etc.

Meaningless

smudge100 wrote:
So what I heat you ask well it means that my core has got stronger and anything that makes you stronger means I can push the pedals harder without sideways weakness.

It is hard but I am impressesed

It probably just means your balance has improved (which is great) but you could do the above with a relatively 'weak' core if your prime movers are doing the job of your stabilisers
Proper core stability is about firing the right muscles at the right time.
Mr Average
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you couldn't do a bicep curl on a ball if you had weak abs. have you ever tried it??!!

as a self proclaimed expert on the subject, i think they're great. not sure they'll make you ride that much faster except in explosive events (most of us could use our time better - ie ride the bike more), but as i said, they'll improve posture and reduce the liklihood of back pain.

it's funny, cos the average cyclist considers themselves really fit. but the truth is, they're fit for cycling and thats about it. if i asked them to hammer a nail into a plank of wood, they'd struggle.

much as he's hated by most VRs, LA is a great example of a cyclist who can do more than just cycle and see's the benefits in strength training. i think we should all take a lead from him training wise
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Average wrote:
you couldn't do a bicep curl on a ball if you had weak abs. have you ever tried it??!!

as a self proclaimed expert on the subject, i think they're great. not sure they'll make you ride that much faster except in explosive events (most of us could use our time better - ie ride the bike more), but as i said, they'll improve posture and reduce the liklihood of back pain.

it's funny, cos the average cyclist considers themselves really fit. but the truth is, they're fit for cycling and thats about it. if i asked them to hammer a nail into a plank of wood, they'd struggle.

much as he's hated by most VRs, LA is a great example of a cyclist who can do more than just cycle and see's the benefits in strength training. i think we should all take a lead from him training wise

Nah, you're alright.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Des

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one lying in the garden like a lost extra from The Prisoner. Maybe if I used it I would be able to move today Confused Twisted Evil
Max Drury
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Average wrote:

Yes you could, if overactive muscles are doing the job of weak and inhibited ones. e.g Your rectus abdominus (movement muscle )maybe relatively strong/toned but your intrinsic core stabilisers may be relatively weak.

I'm a fan of gym based training but it's about choosing the appropriate exercises performed properly. Not just swinging weights around or balancing on a ball with bad form.
Having said that, you might be a perfect physical specimen..but if you do a lot of miles, I doubt it.

Btw, How will doing an isolation exercise for your biceps carry over to the bike?
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Drury wrote:
I'm a fan of gym based training but it's about choosing the appropriate exercises performed properly. Not just swinging weights around or balancing on a ball with bad form. Having said that, you might be a perfect physical specimen..but if you do a lot of miles, I doubt it.
I have often wondered if, for cyclists, a trip to the gym is even necessary. Would it be possible to compile a set of simple floor-based equipment-free exercises that would be of benefit - push-ups, sit-ups and the like?

How many push-ups can the average racing cyclist do, if any?

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Max Drury wrote:
I'm a fan of gym based training but it's about choosing the appropriate exercises performed properly. Not just swinging weights around or balancing on a ball with bad form. Having said that, you might be a perfect physical specimen..but if you do a lot of miles, I doubt it.
I have often wondered if, for cyclists, a trip to the gym is even necessary. Would it be possible to compile a set of simple floor-based equipment-free exercises that would be of benefit - push-ups, sit-ups and the like?

How many push-ups can the average racing cyclist do, if any?

I can do a million. Cool

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Broken Bones
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do a fair few push ups, but then I am not a racing cyclist...more an armchair one Very Happy
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do push ups too. Shocked
Although I've never tried working with balls before.
Broken Bones
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
I can do push ups too. Shocked
Although I've never tried working with balls before.

You should try it....working with balls can be ever so rewarding Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: