Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - gym ball

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

gym ball
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big-C
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Plank 1: [url] http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MHQmRINu4jU[/url]
Plank 2: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ar2iRusnnc&feature=related

Now the young Kiwi/Aussie looks 'better' (and I don't [size=7](just) mean cos she's wearing a bit less)[/size] in the sense of more fluid/relaxed, but is she doing it any better?

I can't tell.

This is hopeless -- who wants to go to an instructor for what's a secondary set of conditioning?

2nd on is very good. from side view she is perfect, although when the camera swaps around to the slightly above view she seems to have collapsed in her lumbar. However, i'm not exactly sure what she's doing with her feet/legs. They are neither hip-distance apart or together (ideal). just some random distance. 8/10
Mr Average
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big-C wrote:
Odge wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
[
Quote:
I would generally suggest using exercises such as the plank on its own or using an SB. Holding the correct pose for upwards of 30 secs will target the stabilisers. Include rotational work as this won't be used during cycling activities.
as I said, a pointer to a web page containing instructions for a set of exercises would be gratefully received, as I didn't understand a word of that.

How to do the plank - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MHQmRINu4jU
most I can do in one go is 90secs, lad in our club do 4mins+ Shocked

or not, actually Rolling Eyes

she's over-flexing her lumbar spine, her abdobinals are popping and her
neck is in the wrong place. Apart from that, she's perfect ... Wink

Actually, it's over extension.
smudge100
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Drury wrote:
Mr Average wrote:
you couldn't do a bicep curl on a ball if you had weak abs. have you ever tried it??!!

Yes you could, if overactive muscles are doing the job of weak and inhibited ones. e.g Your rectus abdominus (movement muscle )maybe relatively strong/toned but your intrinsic core stabilisers may be relatively weak.

I'm a fan of gym based training but it's about choosing the appropriate exercises performed properly. Not just swinging weights around or balancing on a ball with bad form.
Having said that, you might be a perfect physical specimen..but if you do a lot of miles, I doubt it.

Btw, How will doing an isolation exercise for your biceps carry over to the bike?

It wont I just like to work on the guns...

"will you stop calling your arms your guns!!"

Euro. It's not an origin or place of manufacturing. It's a style or an essence." S.A.H
Max Drury
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smudge100 wrote:
Max Drury wrote:
Mr Average wrote:
you couldn't do a bicep curl on a ball if you had weak abs. have you ever tried it??!!

Yes you could, if overactive muscles are doing the job of weak and inhibited ones. e.g Your rectus abdominus (movement muscle )maybe relatively strong/toned but your intrinsic core stabilisers may be relatively weak.

I'm a fan of gym based training but it's about choosing the appropriate exercises performed properly. Not just swinging weights around or balancing on a ball with bad form.
Having said that, you might be a perfect physical specimen..but if you do a lot of miles, I doubt it.

Btw, How will doing an isolation exercise for your biceps carry over to the bike?

It wont I just like to work on the guns...

"will you stop calling your arms your guns!!"

Fair enough Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: