Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Knees in cold weather

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Knees in cold weather
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary K wrote:
As you're an accountant, ergo, tight as the proverbial duck's bum, why not just take the traditional route and use black bin bags taped to your legs. The tape, and bags, procured from work of course! Laughing

I think you'll find, Kristensen, that I'm tight in all other aspects of my finances so I can fund my Assos habit. Now answer the bl**dy question! Razz
Hugo Koblet
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use smaller gears..

i've been out in some bitterly cold weather this winter and when i used bigger gears i got the knee twinges. hardly worth doing strength work in those temperatures anyway.

this is why those legendary belgians from yesteryear talked about the training ring (your wee ring)........
Pocket Rocket
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugo Koblet wrote:
use smaller gears..

i've been out in some bitterly cold weather this winter and when i used bigger gears i got the knee twinges. hardly worth doing strength work in those temperatures anyway.

this is why those legendary belgians from yesteryear talked about the training ring (your wee ring)........

I'm currently one of those situations when you look back and think, why the f*** did i do that. Go out when its between 0 - 2 degrees and have a hard ride over a hilly route when ive only been riding the bike for just over a week after a 4 month layoff! Classic case of trying to do to much too soon and i've paid for it.
bushman
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocket Rocket wrote:
Gary K wrote:
Stinging and surface irritation is not exactly keeping your knees warm like good quality bib tights do.

It draws blood away from the core of muscles and as the knee is not exactly well endowed in the muscle area, will effectively starve whatever muscle or core bood flow that is present there.

I'd recommend that everyone stays away from stuff like "Deep Heat", "Tiger Balm", etc, especially on the legs and especially pre-workout/race.

Is deep heat ok after a ride, if your joints are feeling a bit sore?

No for the reasons stated above! Think of the basic treatment for injury like this-RICE-Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation-not heat!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: