Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Crank Length on track

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Crank Length on track
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Track Cycling)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What length cranks do you use for track at Manchester or Newport?
165mm
52%
 52%  [ 40 ]
170mm
47%
 47%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 76

Allister
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this from the same folk that say you can't ride a flip flop hub with two sprockets ?

I am all for evidence based safety measures especially when cycling is a comparativley high risk sport compared to pool, but I do think the risk asssessment process should be made transparent along withthe evidence.

Let the discussion continue....

What about carbon fork columns ?
in sessions every Saturday Morning from
April to September (Weather permitting)
<www>
BigRobJef
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 167.5's but I've also happily ridden 177.5's just got to go fast enough I don't think its an issue with modern low profile pedals.

Having said that once watched a 13 year old 7 stone girl hit her pedal every revolution going just more than walking pace at Calshot. She didn't fall off though.
sauber
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to solve such problems all riders should have their bike checked prior to riding the track like the kids do at track league

yes it would take longer to get a session started but this is needed having seen the idiots that get let on sqts

on this same subject more needs to be done to check all riders are of a sufficient standard to ride the track having passed their accreditation as you are much more likely to be taken out by some fool who can't ride in a warm up line etc or constantly backpedals etc etc than on the rare ocassion when a rider has an illegally spec bike

if we're going to having emails sent round dictating rules to us like this then we also need greater rider ability standards for training sessions/sqts as the accreditation at present is not sufficient to guarantee a rider is safe enough to ride the track
________

Last edited by sauber on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Billynobrakes
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sauber wrote:
to solve such problems all riders should have their bike checked prior to riding the track like the kids do at track league

yes it would take longer to get a session started but this is needed having seen the idiots that get let on sqts

on this same subject more needs to be done to check all riders are of a sufficient standard to ride the track having passed their accreditation as you are much more likely to be taken out by some fool who can't ride in a warm up line etc or constantly backpedals etc etc than on the rare ocassion when a rider has an illegally spec bike

if we're going to having emails sent round dictating rules to us like this then we also need greater rider ability standards for training sessions/sqts as the accreditation at present is not sufficient to guarantee a rider is safe enough to ride the track

What more do you suggest in addition to the current accrediation process and having qulified coaches present at all sessions? Confused

Regarding crank length - I ride 165's but wouldn't think twice about riding 170's, as long as the BB high enough it really isn't an issue on Manchester - your tyres will slide before your pedal hits the deck.
sauber
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the coaches are great, just think it needs to be made harder to get the accreditation
________

Last edited by sauber on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
rt
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride an old classic, built way, way before Manchester velodrome was ever thought of.

cranks are 165 but BB height is 10 5/8"
I can ride slow enough for the wheels to be starting to slide with no hint of pedals touching.
rt
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Allister"]is this from the same folk that say you can't ride a flip flop hub with two sprockets ?

quote]

that one does make abit of sense. I had a ticking off for that one. wipped the flip or the flop sprocket off. Job done.
You don't need a spare sprocket on the bike weighing it down Very Happy
Allister
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rt"]
that one does make abit of sense. I had a ticking off for that one. wipped the flip or the flop sprocket off. Job done.
You don't need a spare sprocket on the bike weighing it down Very Happy

quote]

That's true, the 14 grammes saved by removing the sprocket is no longer holding me back.

The point I was asking is what is the reason for having to remove the sprocket ?

Is it to save the weight or is it for another reason and if so what is the reason and what is evidence for it ?

It would be good to know the reasoning behind the requirements.

Back on the cranks topic: I agree that clearance is seldom an issue with 170 cranks on a modern track frame with a reasonable bracket height and narrow pedals.

I have seen riders using 185mm cranks on Manchester and that does reduce the clearance significantly but they still get to race on that equipment as there seems to be no rule saying you can't.

Allister
in sessions every Saturday Morning from
April to September (Weather permitting)
<www>
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allister wrote:
The point I was asking is what is the reason for having to remove the sprocket ?

Is it to save the weight or is it for another reason and if so what is the reason and what is evidence for it ?

It would be good to know the reasoning behind the requirements.

Exposed pointy whizzy bits where someone can run into them with a tyre.

POP.
wobble wobble wobble.
crash.
billyam998
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sauber wrote:
the coaches are great, just think it needs to be made harder to get the accreditation

I can assure you from recent experience gaining accreditation is not easy, in fact - it's bloody hard, especially if you choose to do it all in one day Shocked .
Sprockets issue was explained to us as a safety issue risk of getting caught in additional unused sprocket etc, 2 people were made to remove theirs.
Crank length, not really an expert but I can see the logic, also the dings in the banking made by someone on a langster were not good either.
Track is obviously more dangerous than a lot of sports, bob barber and his team are just doing their best to minimise those risks. You are always going to have the "never been a problem for me" brigade, sadly those self same people are the first to complain "why wasn't something done about this" when anything goes wrong.