Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Crank Length on track

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Crank Length on track
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Track Cycling)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What length cranks do you use for track at Manchester or Newport?
165mm
52%
 52%  [ 40 ]
170mm
47%
 47%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 76

leggy blonde
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have ridden 170s for the fist time at Calshot on Saturday Shocked . They might have been absolutely fine
nettie biker
Div 3 Pro

Location: Struggling to keep all the balls in the air.............

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you all talking about? I just ride me bike me. I dont need to know all this stuff Wink Rolling Eyes
Bally
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measured my old 531 E.G.Bates track bike this morning - 10.5" b/b with 170mm cranks. Has been used at Manchester, Calshot, Saffron Lane and Harlow plus grass tracks too numerous to mention with no problems.
"real class" - George Gilbert"
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bally wrote:
Measured my old 531 E.G.Bates track bike this morning - 10.5" b/b with 170mm cranks. Has been used at Manchester, Calshot, Saffron Lane and Harlow plus grass tracks too numerous to mention with no problems.

there were a lot of track experts born when Manc was built

I'm a qualified coach.
esafosfina
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had an issue riding 170mm on any track I've ridden (including Sport Palais Gent)... Back in 2000 I was trying 175mm on a BT Superbike around Dunc Gray and again had no problem... if in doubt try a 165mm on the crankset side and a 170mm on the left... Wink

"I don't want white burgundy... I need white burgundy"
varno
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep it simple..

Ride a track specific frame, modern pedals with cleats etc and you should not have any issue.

I ride 165 for sprints and 170 for enduro, never touched down.

That said any longer than that (170)could start getting a bit hairy in bunch races etc when swinging up etc but cant see any issues with longer cranks when pursuiting..

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=182745114790&ref=mf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjCZGQ3rMG0
MrB
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the guy who fetched me and my pal off at Calshot last weekend, was seemingly riding 19mm tyres, a gear closer to 90 than 88 and 172.5 cranks, no problem Confused Confused right up until the moment he chose to lie down Rolling Eyes and we now have bruised hips and broken ribs.....and he has a bruised ego Rolling Eyes

I have only been riding at Calshot now for 4 years but am unaware of any specs or regulations governing bike set up there, and seemingly the guy that fell was unaware too Rolling Eyes

.putting my tag line in to practice
Bally
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esafosfina wrote:
if in doubt try a 165mm on the crankset side and a 170mm on the left... Wink

unless you're riding grass track of course then vice versa Exclamation Wink
"real class" - George Gilbert"
BryanTaylor
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrB wrote:
And the guy who fetched me and my pal off at Calshot last weekend, was seemingly riding 19mm tyres, a gear closer to 90 than 88 and 172.5 cranks, no problem Confused Confused right up until the moment he chose to lie down Rolling Eyes and we now have bruised hips and broken ribs.....and he has a bruised ego Rolling Eyes

I have only been riding at Calshot now for 4 years but am unaware of any specs or regulations governing bike set up there, and seemingly the guy that fell was unaware too Rolling Eyes

.putting my tag line in to practice

if it was a training session booked there, the coach/organiser would have been given a letter by Calshot detailing recommended bike set up including maximum gearing & crank lengths. I organised a club day there recently & emailed everyone telling them the max gear I was allowing for the session. Problem is, if you're racing then I don't think there is anything laid down. It's similar to the fact i can't do certain sessions at manchester because i'm not acredited, but i could turn up & ride the nationals using any equipment I fancied. I presume bike checks were abandoned because of potential legal issues?
chipolata legs
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be a good idea to just have some standard rules set for each track and then theres no arguements. i ride a dolan with 170mm cranks at manchester quite regular and obviously being a track specific frame i have no problems but from a safety point of view i think ALL bikes should be checked for at least the bottom bracket height.that way you dont get no chippers knocking you off with a dodgy bike.am suprised anyone would think to ride the track without a track specific frame!
highlandpro
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank Length on track Reply with quote

tauruswho wrote:
What length cranks do you use for track at Manchester or Newport?

I have been using 170mm for years, but have been told I must now change to 165mm or I could be sued if there is an Accident!!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy

Arrow Sued if there is an Accident by who? Wink
Big 'n Daft
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem is that when someone gets put in a wheelchair the lawyers come out and wil probably try and sue the velodrome (first) or the rider causing the accident.

To mitigate it the rules are made

a more pragmatic way forward:
1. issue "guidance"
2. to put in a "V" trough in with a head tube holder, your combination of pedals, cranks, BB and frame then either passes or fails. Coaches to test at each public session some / all bikes (takes 10 seconds for a pass) if it fails it's not safe have a refund go home or hire a bike
3.specific models of bikes should be banned and named on the website where there is a known issue,

which will stop the guy who insists his will be OK

it might not be fair, it might not be right, but it means that the rest of the group on the track don't get nervous when the muppet with the road bike hits the front of the group on the "B" sessions

velodrome sessions operate with "collective" safety paramount as the person causing the accident will not necessarily be the only injury nor the worst. The problem is the f**kwit who causes it may be denial about his ability or his bike, the velodrome procedures need to take this into account as "its not our fault he didn't follow the rules" may not be an adequate defence
TBK
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
In 15 years of racing I don't think I've seen one accident due to cranks being too long or BB being too low. Has anyone else?

Only when somebodies down tube came away from the head tube on an alan track frame!
John McC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew R wrote:
Magnier wrote:
Im 6'2" and i use 165mm cranks.

I am 6'3" and I have got 165s too. Mind I haven't ridden my track bike for over 2 years so does that count Question Wink

I'm 6'3" and use 170s, which seems most sensible for longer legs. No problem with clearance with modern pedals either.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
In 15 years of racing

'kin newbies.

I once saw Lee rowe hit his left hand pedal on the bottom of Calshot banking during a squad session, when he was sprinting against McHugh.

As for right hand pedal hitting, Scotsbigfella Kennedy is the last bloke I remember doing it, but that was at about 2mph on Saff Lane banking in the juvie sprint semis
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
In 15 years of racing

'kin newbies.

I once saw Lee rowe hit his left hand pedal on the bottom of Calshot banking during a squad session, when he was sprinting against McHugh.

As for right hand pedal hitting, Scotsbigfella Kennedy is the last bloke I remember doing it, but that was at about 2mph on Saff Lane banking in the juvie sprint semis

Bet neither of 'em fell off though. Laughing

Steve did, and took the other guy down as well
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Might've knocked some sense in. Wink

My favourite Saffron Lane memories..

1. Steve sliding off in the semis
2. That motorpacing crash
3. Steve falling off, getting splinters, then getting fiancee/wife no 4/5 (the blonde one) to pull his splinters out of his arris AFTER putting on a thong first for his 'fans'
4. Schoolboy sprinter, sprints, finishes, swings up the banking like the pros do, hits the boards and slides down
5. Getting the whole home straight involved in abusing Russ Williams in the 20k final for avoiding the front
6. Natalie Soens
Richard Kennedy
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
In 15 years of racing

'kin newbies.

Bet neither of 'em fell off though. Laughing

Steve did, and took the other guy down as well

Your power of recall is fading with age Tim!
Steve did indeed come down in the Juvenile sprint (riding against Geraint Day).
But it wasn't Steve who came down first. Steve had Geraint pinned and was going REALLY slowly around the banking, Geraint slipped and took Steve down rather than the other way round. (We still have it on video)
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Kennedy wrote:

His thong was maroon
Richard Kennedy
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Richard Kennedy wrote:

His thong was maroon

I'm pleased to say I don't remember! (although I do remember the incident)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Track Cycling) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: