Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - LV / Liverpool Victoria talking *CENSORED*?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

LV / Liverpool Victoria talking *CENSORED*?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Commuting)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy_storey
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: LV / Liverpool Victoria talking *CENSORED*? Reply with quote

from cyclingnews:
Mounting financial pressures have led to a surge in inexperienced cyclists taking to the roads in Great Britain, resulting in a 29 percent increase in road accidents involving cyclists in the past six months.

A lack of formal training may be one of the causes of this problem, with more than half (52 per cent) of cyclists admitting they have never read the Highway Code's advice for cyclists and just 42 percent have taken a cycling proficiency course.

In the past year one in three cyclists have cycled the wrong way up a one way street, one of the most common causes for bike-car accidents.

Emma Holyer, Spokesperson for LV= car insurance, asked for compulsory cycling proficiency training. "Cycling is a cheap and enjoyable way to get from A to B and great exercise at the same time but it's essential that cyclists are fully equipped to deal with the busy British roads to ensure their own safety and that of other road users.

"If cycling training was compulsory, and cyclists were better equipped to follow the rules of the roads we believe motorists, pedestrians and cyclists themselves would all benefit from fewer accidents and a safer environment on the road."

More info on cyclingweekly website:
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/CTC_slams_car_insurance_company_article_275252.html

I've just sent them a rant via their website:
http://www.lv.com/contactus/onlinefeedback
London Bus Chaser
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH the cycling profiency test is a load of b0llox when you get out in real traffic. What counts is road sense and the ability to ride and handle the bike properly.
For example have you seen some of the plods who ride bikes? No doubt they have all the bits of paper but they are certainly not proficient on a bike.

Mrs LBC rides in London now, when she first started I tried to teach her what I call "having presence" on the bike. In other words you look confident on the bike and you ride confidently on the bike and you are aware of what other road users might do.
That doesn't come from riding through a few traffic cones in a school playground.
Lee
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: LV / Liverpool Victoria talking *CENSORED*? Reply with quote

andy_storey wrote:

In the past year one in three cyclists have cycled the wrong way up a one way street, one of the most common causes for bike-car accidents.

Utter Evil or Very Mad, would love to see them substantiate the most common bit of that statement.
r0bh
Cat 4 Groupie
Cat 4 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: LV / Liverpool Victoria talking *CENSORED*? Reply with quote

Lee wrote:
andy_storey wrote:

Utter Evil or Very Mad, would love to see them substantiate the most common bit of that statement.

You could email Emma Holyer emma.holyer@lv.com and ask her for the reference to this "fact" Wink
officer bob
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have E-mailed LV regarding these 'porkies',

I'm not holding me breath for the reply
elaina

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

London Bus Chaser wrote:
TBH the cycling profiency test is a load of b0llox when you get out in real traffic. What counts is road sense and the ability to ride and handle the bike properly.
For example have you seen some of the plods who ride bikes? No doubt they have all the bits of paper but they are certainly not proficient on a bike.

Mrs LBC rides in London now, when she first started I tried to teach her what I call "having presence" on the bike. In other words you look confident on the bike and you ride confidently on the bike and you are aware of what other road users might do.
That doesn't come from riding through a few traffic cones in a school playground.

The old cycling proficiency does not prepare the rider for the road. The NEW Bikeability scheme which BC are introducing will prepare the rider much better. The programme is done over 3 levels. Level 3 being a 1:1 session on the road, the route having been drawn up by the rider and coach. It's delivered over 2 hours, not all of that time on the road but certainly at least an hour of it will be. The hour won't be made up of continual riding but of riding and taking time out, where safe to do so on the road, to discuss why the rider did what they did at a certain point and what they could have done to make the ride better.

Level 1 is basic in the playground instruction, Level 2 an introduction to road riding on quite roads. Level 3 using 'proper' roads. You don't move onto the next level until the coach thinks you are competent to do so.

Keep an eye out for it in your community.
dockeca
Div 2 Pro

Location: halfway up the South Downs - or halfway down the South Ups!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the lady from LV (or anyone else there) actually rides a bike? It would be an interesting lesson for them to get in and out of their office in Poole. It's in the middle of a big "squareabout" with traffic in all directions. Sort of a Bournemouth/Poole mini-periphique, very interesting to navigate even on the moto!

"Any views expressed are entirely my own and not representative of any organisation of which I may or may not be a member. Unless I say otherwise."
"A Libertarian Crackpot" H.Peel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Commuting) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: