Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Medical Quiz!

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Medical Quiz!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Medical Quiz! Reply with quote

Ok as a bit of sport, and seeing as my doctor has offered nothing more reassuring than a shrugging of shoulders to ease my problems, and diagnosis of whats going on, I thought I'd throw it out to you guys/gals to see if anyone else can shed some light, or think of some ideas to look into.

Definitally since the end of January, and maybe since Christmas and potentially since the end of November I have not been right. Had a fever type thing end of November, and I started winter training as soon as the symptoms eased off. In early december I felt not quite right, and I felt my form was further away and harder to regain than normal, but nothing too concerning.

Then at christmas I had a stomach bug, again with fever, and this time abdominal pain and light headedness. The fever and stomach problems went by the end of boxing day, but I was dizzy and lightheaded for another three of four days.

Getting back into training in Jnauray, I still didn't feel quite 100% but fitness was improving, and generally towards the end of the month I really felt things were on track.

Then on 27th Jan made a note in diary that had a sorethroat, and maybe cold coming. The next 3 weeks training was compromised by cold coming and going; I'd rest a few days, feel fine, traina couple of days and cold came back, repeat. Anyway, getting frustratedI went to a team training weekend obviously chesty and tried to ride through. Actually felt fantastic on the bike, but awful off it.

Rested the whole next week in an attempt to clear things, and feeling better the following sunday raced. This race was a big mistake, and I felt awful after it. By uesday however I felt great and was chuffed... trained lightly tues, wed and thurs, but symptoms of cold returned yet again.

Rested for four days, felt fine, road the tuesday, and bang straight away felt ill.... that was march 10th, not ridden the bike since.

Symptoms...

No longer cold like at all, there is an occasional soreness to throat, and like there is a lump or swelling there when I swallow, I have days of light giddiness, and an eternal 'pressure' feeling in my head. I am lethargic but not tired, its as if my body doesn't want me to do anything for fear of damage... Head aches come and go, but most frustrating is my heart rate which is raised from normal by 10-30 beats per minute constantly.

More disconcerting is the way the HR reacts to moving, going up stairs will see it climb to say 120, then drop back rapdly to 70 before rising again to mid 90's... all in a minute or so (the doctor says owning HRM is never a positive for stuff like this!), and at times I feel as if the heart is really working hard to pump and it doesn't feel right.

Additionally I get mild abdominal discomfort around the liver area, and slight discomfort on lower left side of rib cage (although this is the site of an old rib injury). I constantly feel like I am contracting my stomach muscles and if I consciously relax them my HR increases.

I am now anxious and stressed about this, irratable and miserable. I have also had periods where I have been unable to concentrate... Oh and sleep! I am aware that my anxiety will not be helping anything.

Blood tests are all normal, ECG is normal, although I am having further tests done as there is signs of slight hypertropy of the left ventricular which although consistent with an aerobic athlete, doctor is taking no chances.

Urine shows no sign of protein, sugar or infections.

Doctors thoughts so far are chronic fatigue/post viral syndrome (I am not convinced), or purely stress. He wants to further check out heart before gong down the stress route.

Personally, I am thinking it may be an as yet undiscovered infection, a bacterial imbalance in the stomach, or that the training when sick has caused damage to the heart or lining of the heart/lungs.

Or..... just this minute had a thought, my mum has haemochromatosis, and I have to admit the 3 days following giving my last blood sample I felt better than I had in weeks... It is potentially hereditory, and about 80% of the symptoms match (s does the comon mis-diagnosis as CFS). I have not thought about is as symptoms/problems normally don't happen till much later in life.

Anyway... anyone known anything similar? Have any ideas?

If nothing else this has killed some time whilst waiting for the Nytol to kick in!
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops, that was rather a lot longer than I intended! Sorry...
pete1001
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyRay wrote:
Then on 27th Jan made a note in diary that had a sorethroat, and maybe cold coming. The next 3 weeks training was compromised by cold coming and going; I'd rest a few days, feel fine, traina couple of days and cold came back, repeat. Anyway, getting frustratedI went to a team training weekend obviously chesty and tried to ride through. Actually felt fantastic on the bike, but awful off it.

Rested the whole next week in an attempt to clear things, and feeling better the following sunday raced. This race was a big mistake, and I felt awful after it. By uesday however I felt great and was chuffed... trained lightly tues, wed and thurs, but symptoms of cold returned yet again.

sounds remarkably like me- not ill but not quite right. Sets my asthma off and generally feel a bit rough. Can sleep for 10-12 hours and still feel F*****D the next day. Has come and gone for about 18 months now, but seems to be getting worse atm. There'll be a few bikes in the buying/selling section if it doesn't clear up soon. Embarassed
Been to doctors several times, blood tests "show you are in remarkably good health" and had EGC etc, again all fine. Latest suggestion was allergies, but I'm not convinced at all by that one. Prescription having no discerable effect. I'm not particularly good as it is, but when this is playing up, even finishing a 3s and 4s race is difficult.

*insert suggestion of MTFU*
special guest star
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've heard of this a few times

do you ever feel distanced from what is going on around you?

have you had a liver funtion test as part of the bloods? bilirubin levels?

have you been jaundiced -or even just milky yellow / whites of the eyes?

have you ever felt you have over trained to a high degree? Monday's always worse than other days after racing?
pete1001
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh, find it pretty difficult to concentrate at school somewimes, just feel like nodding off. Might ask for the liver function test as you suggested when i'm next at doctors- got to be worth a try. Training seems to make it worse but i don't think i'm doing anywhere enough for it to be causing it in the first place. (8-10) hours a week with regular time off is hardly loads. Haven't ridden for 3 weeks now and don't feel a lot better for it. Bummer Embarassed
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete1001 wrote:
yeh, find it pretty difficult to concentrate at school somewimes, just feel like nodding off. Might ask for the liver function test as you suggested when i'm next at doctors- got to be worth a try. Training seems to make it worse but i don't think i'm doing anywhere enough for it to be causing it in the first place. (8-10) hours a week with regular time off is hardly loads. Haven't ridden for 3 weeks now and don't feel a lot better for it. Bummer Embarassed

The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning and doesn't stop until you need to do some work.
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Medical Quiz! Reply with quote

JimmyRay wrote:
in Jnauray, I still didn't feel quite 100%

Dyslexia. That'll be 500 Guineas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: