Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - General health

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

General health

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eeyore
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: General health Reply with quote

I currently do about 2 walks a week. One weekend walk generally of 3-4 hours and one in the week of about 2 hours. If I was to also ride the bike twice a week for about 1-2 hours at a heart rate of 75-85% maxHR, would this give a general level of good health and fitness.
Obviously it is better than nothing and I would not be looking for a high level of fitness.
Odge
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes - far better than the general populus that's for sure. Just remember to keep your diet from getting bad - not too much in the way of fatty food, sugary sweets and alcohol and you'll be fitter than vast swathes of the normal population
Eeyore
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm thinking of keeping reasonably healthy without investing too much time.
Odge
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take up running?
Eeyore
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odge wrote:
Take up running?

I may try it, but won't do much. I did a bit about 10 years ago, but I think I was so out of practice I ran too heavily and kept getting shin splints.
Odge
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilates, yoga?
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies, burgers?

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Davey C
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimming - although chronically boring, is prob the best exercise. But tbh what you suggested coupled with Odge's SAGE advice should do it
MrLoverman
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to eat brown rice and brown pasta or just wholegrain/meal foods as they have a hight GI and therefore makes you feel full for longer which inturn stops you from munching on fatty snacks. They are also much healthier for you than the white versions. As a general rule of thumb avoid beige foods such as white bread, crisps as they are quite fatty and not good for you.

Visit - http://love-muscle.myminicity.com/
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrLoverman wrote:
Try to eat brown rice and brown pasta or just wholegrain/meal foods as they have a hight GI and therefore makes you feel full for longer which inturn stops you from munching on fatty snacks. They are also much healthier for you than the white versions. As a general rule of thumb avoid beige foods such as white bread, crisps as they are quite fatty and not good for you.

Scouse insight. Well good!
Eeyore
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't thinking about general health so much as in weight/fat and such like but cardio wise and keeping cholesterol levels down, that type of health (I know d iet comes into that as well).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: