Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Does low cadence in high gears = knee injury?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Does low cadence in high gears = knee injury?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gains
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Does low cadence in high gears = knee injury? Reply with quote

I only started riding about 2 months ago and am making good progress, but yesterday I noticed a sharp pain in my right knee and a dull ache in the other.
Since starting out I've generally favoured grinding away in a gear slightly higher than is comfortable rather than spinning the pedals in a lower gear.

Am I asking for trouble, or is the knee pain more likely to be a result of something else (saddle/ride position etc)?
Matteo
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Does low cadence in high gears = knee injury? Reply with quote

Gains wrote:
Am I asking for trouble

Yes

Try riding in a lower gear for a while and see if the pain goes.
Gains
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, will do.

Should I expect improvements to slow down if I use lower gears? I'd got it into my head that by using a higher gear, I was having to work harder and would therefore get more out of it. That may be oversimplifying things a bit though Smile
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.

I have badly arthritic knees (no shit! shout all the VRs who've been around a bit...) and I reckon for a normal person it's pretty hard to damage knees by cycling. Even mine are improved by it. Remember, running is far harder on knees than cycling and most get away with it, and can for years.

I would get your position checked, and make sure your pedals are straight.

You should do stretching exercises to make sure your muscles aren't tightening to 'compress' the knees.

Low gears are, however, good. 90rpm is really a minimum, 95-100 would be better. It transfers the effort from 'strength' to 'puff'; you will be more out of breath spinning, but your legs won't ache so much after training. That's what happened to me, anyway.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gains wrote:
Ok, will do.

Should I expect improvements to slow down if I use lower gears? I'd got it into my head that by using a higher gear, I was having to work harder and would therefore get more out of it. That may be oversimplifying things a bit though Smile

No.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gains wrote:
Ok, will do.

What worked for Jan Ullrich may not necessarily work for you mate!
Steve McGinty
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Does low cadence in high gears = knee injury? Reply with quote

Gains wrote:
I only started riding about 2 months ago and am making good progress, but yesterday I noticed a sharp pain in my right knee and a dull ache in the other.
Since starting out I've generally favoured grinding away in a gear slightly higher than is comfortable rather than spinning the pedals in a lower gear.

Am I asking for trouble, or is the knee pain more likely to be a result of something else (saddle/ride position etc)?

What shoes/pedals are you using?
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gains wrote:
Ok, will do.

Yeah, you might want to buy a book on training or summat - £20 well spent.
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning to pedal properly will get you better gains than the strength based pedal training you are currently favouring.

Training should be a mix of big gear work, little gear work, and middle gear work... and similarly you should practise giving it plenty undergeared every bit as much as over geared.

As for knee injuries, what you are doing can lead to tendonitis more than anything else, so yeah I'd speed up teh pedaling.

Contrary to Roy, I'd say everyone has an optimum cadence, or more accurately an optimum cadence for a given effort, experiment to find yours... can range from 80-100/110. Mine personally increases as the effort goes up, not the other way around.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyRay wrote:
Contrary to Roy, I'd say everyone has an optimum cadence, or more accurately an optimum cadence for a given effort, experiment to find yours... can range from 80-100/110.
Most probably correct; but I have changed from 80rpm to 100 specifically to help my knees, which it's done. I don't supposed very many need to do this as their knees aren't damaged.
Quote:
Mine personally increases as the effort goes up, not the other way around.
Hmm; do you pedal more rapidly going up hill than on the flat?

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
JimmyRay wrote:
Contrary to Roy, I'd say everyone has an optimum cadence, or more accurately an optimum cadence for a given effort, experiment to find yours... can range from 80-100/110.
Most probably correct; but I have changed from 80rpm to 100 specifically to help my knees, which it's done. I don't supposed very many need to do this as their knees aren't damaged.
Quote:
Mine personally increases as the effort goes up, not the other way around.

Depends on how hard I am going at a given time truth be told. A few years ago spent some time experimenting with cadence and climbing because I was rubbish uphills comparitive to teh flat, adn yeah, I slowed the cadence naturally up hill... making an effort to alter that led me to be quicker up hill...to the tune of 1.5mins ona 4mile ascent...

Its hard to do, but maintaining the same cadence/pedal style as much as possible on the ups is important.
Gains
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying this whole lower-gear-higher-cadence malarkey for the past few weeks and it seems to have worked a treat- no knee pain, ride times steadily coming down and climbing ability steadily going up.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gains wrote:
I've been trying this whole lower-gear-higher-cadence malarkey for the past few weeks and it seems to have worked a treat- no knee pain, ride times steadily coming down and climbing ability steadily going up.

Nice - you owe everyone who helped £5k. Cheque is fine.
MrLoverman
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Does low cadence in high gears = knee injury? Reply with quote

Gains wrote:

The pain in your knee is not actually your knee it is the muscle that goes by your knee probably. i think it's called the quadrocep or something don't quote me. Cycling is better for your knees as it is low impact and you will find that as you get used to cycling the pains will go away. I had the same problem and was thinking about going to the docs but left it for a while and everything is fine. I can now go for miles and miles without any pain in my knees. Just leave it for a bit and I bet it goes away.

Visit - http://love-muscle.myminicity.com/
babydinotrackboy
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyRay wrote:

Contrary to Roy, I'd say everyone has an optimum cadence, or more accurately an optimum cadence for a given effort, experiment to find yours... can range from 80-100/110. Mine personally increases as the effort goes up, not the other way around.

Thats the same for everyone, its the reason why cadences go up as the event gets shorter (because the power output goes up) with match sprinters often hitting 150 rpm's plus

www.fasttrackcoaching.biz
fatface
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shabba
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derailleur_gears

Amazing things!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: